WAG How long after an injury is the gymnast back to her old self?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dka

Proud Parent
My dd broke two bones in her hand 4 1/2 weeks ago. She just got her cast off. I am wondering how long it will take to get her strength back. She is an 11 year old level 8. The doc said she could do push ups, presses etc. she was only able to do doing one press( she can do 8-10 in a row before the injury)yesterday without coming down. she will be allowed to so bars and tumbling in another week. She did not miss a day of practice with her cast, but is very upset that her strength is not where it was. I told her it will probably take atleast a month to get to where she was. She got most of her level 8 season in and did pretty well, but missed states. Any idea how long it typically takes...

Is she doing any physical therapy? My dd broke her hand last year ams it took about a month. She did PT exercises at home.

Mine had osgood schlatters, then an acute flare up of same in late November landing her on crutches. After PT she was 100% better by early February.

No clear answer, depends on the kid, depends on the Injury, depends on PT. Just don't rush it.

I have no doubt that feet and hands are very different but dd suffered quite badly with cast immobility pain after her broken foot. She was probably back to normal form about 6 weeks after the cast came off.

That said, a further couple of weeks on she is still strapping her foot for heavy tumbling or vaulting sessions but I think a lot of that is probably mental.

Thanks for your replies.. She starts bars and tumbling next week, so she is hoping to recover fast... I told her it takes time....

I think it depends on the child and the injury. My daughter had two separate injuries. First one only conditioning for 4 months....then eased back in over about 2 months, event by event. Second injury was out for a month and took 3 months to get back......I'd say take it SLOW. As much as you child wants to get back to gym, you want her healthy long term. She has years of gymnastics ahead of her. Rushing back after an injury could ruin that.

She has years of gymnastics ahead of her. Rushing back after an injury could ruin that.

Preach sister! Rushing back after an injury cannot only ruin the years of gymnastics ahead of her but also the chance to have a healthy body as an adult! Fortunately I think it was all worth it but my knee and my regular headaches might beg to differ.

My daughter broke her foot (2nd metatarsal, pretty simple break) and was in a boot for 8 weeks. Her lower leg became extremely weak - she lost about 2" in circumference on her calf, and her foot itself was very scrawny. So the worry in rushing back was not about whether the initial fracture had healed, which it had, but avoiding a separate injury (ankle roll/sprain), ligament strain, etc due to the her lack of muscle tone in her foot. It took her about 4-5 weeks till she was back to doing tumbling on the trampoline, and about 7-8 weeks until she got full strength back and her leg looked normal again.

My daughter also lost considerable muscle mass in her quad with her knee injury. The PT said muscle wasting after an injury is accelerated and occurs much faster than disuse atrophy alone. PT helped a lot with regaining strength, stability, and muscle mass.

My dd broke her finger last fall which required surgery/pinning. I was super strict with what I allowed her to do. The doctor didn't want her to do anything that would cause sweating while the pins were in. She didn't see the high beam, tumbling pass, vault or bars for about 7 weeks and it took her a good month to get back to where she was and another month to actually see progress.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back