Parents How long??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I guess I'll chime in with my 2 cents..... BHS on high beam in July.... Since then, nothing but drama.....
She is back doing it on floor beams.... Needs a spot for the first one, then she's fine..... Next, it's going higher.... At this point it feels like she will never get over it, but I know that's not the case.
BWO is fine.... It's all the back beam tumbling that's a mess.

Same thing happened to my daughter. She couldn't do the BWO from March until June. An unrelated gym change led to a patient coach that started with mats on the low beam in June and slow almost 3 month long progression on getting back to the high beam without mats. She has gone on to get 1st place on beam on 3/5 meets this fall. There is hope. :)

DD never had trouble with BWO, but had a devil of a time with handstand-BHS. With this backwards stuff, it could be vestibular, and the only answer is, as Beachgirl suggests, for her to keep doing it where she can and work through the progressions at the rate that is possible. With enough time and patience, I think a lot of these things resolve successfully, but the frustrating thing is that there is NO timetable for it.

If it is encouraging at all, I can tell you that one of DD's teammates had a horrible time with BWO on beam when she was old L6. She lost it in the middle of meet season and had to scratch beam something like three times. Fast forward three years and she's preparing to compete L9 with a BHS-BHS and a back tuck on beam. I'm sure a lot of people can tell you similar stories.

DD never had trouble with BWO, but had a devil of a time with handstand-BHS. With this backwards stuff, it could be vestibular, and the only answer is, as Beachgirl suggests, for her to keep doing it where she can and work through the progressions at the rate that is possible. With enough time and patience, I think a lot of these things resolve successfully, but the frustrating thing is that there is NO timetable for it.

If it is encouraging at all, I can tell you that one of DD's teammates had a horrible time with BWO on beam when she was old L6. She lost it in the middle of meet season and had to scratch beam something like three times. Fast forward three years and she's preparing to compete L9 with a BHS-BHS and a back tuck on beam. I'm sure a lot of people can tell you similar stories.

This is exactly what I (and likely many others) need to hear!! My DD had a terrible fear of BHS on beam that lasted about 2 years - but she overcame it and is extremely successful doing a BWO-BHS on beam this season as a L7. Just took a TON of time and patience to overcome it. But now, we are having giant issues that I am not so sure she will overcome....but I just keep reminding myself give it time, don't worry, and it too will pass.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back