WAG How Many Elite Gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

z2akids

Proud Parent
I am curious as to how many gyms out there actually coach elites? There are often posts where the poster mentions that their gym has many L10s and elites. I tend to be a little wary of those posts because there are a LOT of gyms in the US and not very many elites.

We live in an area with 3 gyms within 90 minutes that I would consider to be on that list (one that has a current senior national team member). DD isn't at one of them and there are probably at least 2 dozen gyms in that same distance that do not train at that level, some of which are still very good gyms.

So, am I naive? Are there thst many gyms that have the ability to train/are training elites? Is it that there is a high percentage of posters who are from the same gyms? Is it exaggeration?

Thanks. Looks like 28 there. Although, I did have to laugh because 2 of the 3 from my area did not have anyone at meet, so I guess that list is at least a little short.

We are in Ohio, which is certainly not DFW, but is still pretty well represented in high level gyms.

It's hard for the smaller gyms to retain their elites. Once they get a gymnast to that level, they start looking around at gyms that can take them to the next level, like Buckeye. Quite a few gyms "train elite", which is quite different from having a competition team full of elites.

On that mymeetscores website, search on the name of the gyms in question, look at their meet results and see how many actual elite are competing. As with all things internet, I expect a bit of embellishing. ;)

Anyone on this thread (or watching) know how many Elites there are in the US? I am sure it is out there, but I can't seem to find it. My ODD has her eyes on Elite, so I am very curious.

It's hard for the smaller gyms to retain their elites. Once they get a gymnast to that level, they start looking around at gyms that can take them to the next level, like Buckeye. Quite a few gyms "train elite", which is quite different from having a competition team full of elites.

On that mymeetscores website, search on the name of the gyms in question, look at their meet results and see how many actual elite are competing. As with all things internet, I expect a bit of embellishing. ;)

I am sure thst is true. On the meet you linked, Buckeye (and Cincinnati) weren't there.

My question is pure curiosity. With a talented, but not phenom, 10 year old L4 who was 7 1/2 before she ever set foot in a gym, it isn't a route that we have any personal interest in.

There are actually quite a few elites in the US. The National Team, as in the girls that will represent the US at international meets, is pretty tiny. Very few elites ever make the national team, even less compete internationally for the US.

Look at the Secret Classic, most of the healthy elites competed there, cross reference that with the P&G champs. That will give you a clearer picture of girls qualified elite.

Then look at the Nat Team to see exactly how many girls are on it.

There are actually quite a few elites in the US. The National Team, as in the girls that will represent the US at international meets, is pretty tiny. Very few elites ever make the national team, even less compete internationally for the US.

Look at the Secret Classic, most of the healthy elites competed there, cross reference that with the P&G champs. That will give you a clearer picture of girls qualified elite.

Then look at the Nat Team to see exactly how many girls are on it.

Looking at those 2 meets this year, it looks like about 25 Sr elites with about 20 gyms concentrated mostly in just a few areas. Maybe I am looking at thst wrong because I would have expected that number to be a little larger.

The following are all totally different...
  1. We train towards elite level gymnastics (almost anyone can state this with only minor program changes)
  2. We have had an elite athlete in the past (many clubs can state this)
  3. We currently have an elite athlete (numbers are getting smaller)
  4. We currently have more than one elites training and competing...and have had elite athletes in the past also (only a few...many times current elites that are alone in their club will look to move to this type of club)

The following are all totally different...
  1. We train towards elite level gymnastics (almost anyone can state this with only minor program changes)
  2. We have had an elite athlete in the past (many clubs can state this)
  3. We currently have an elite athlete (numbers are getting smaller)
  4. We currently have more than one elites training and competing...and have had elite athletes in the past also (only a few...many times current elites that are alone in their club will look to move to this type of club)
JBS, regarding # 3, at what point in the HOPES qualification process is one considered an elite?

The gym where DD goes currently has 3 Elites (I believe one is a junior)...1 made it to the national training team.

What's the difference between junior and senior elite?

It's hard to discuss this without defining what we mean by "elite."

Personally I look at it more in terms of the coach than the numbers, a coach who is capable of training elites might not have any current kids who fit the criteria, but could still have been an elite coach at another time or in another country. If they end up with a development athlete for who, things go right, she might become elite.

So basically I agree with JBS, there are actually a lot of coaches in the U.S. Running a program that is capable of developing an elite athlete. This is not the majority of gyms but a fair amount. And yes there are a few "centers" and sure lots of gymnasts switch to try to attain a higher ranking, but this is not like the days of the Karolyis.

And yes there are a few "centers" and sure lots of gymnasts switch to try to attain a higher ranking, but this is not like the days of the Karolyis.

But isn't it really more than ever the days of the Karolyis? Because no matter who you are or who your coach is, ultimately you have to pass by Marta to get to the national team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back