How many hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vbbf

Proud Parent
I'm wondering how many hours of gym do other children do. My 7 year old dd currently trains 5 days a week (14 hours) and she will be competing uk regional level 5 next year

I'm wondering how many hours of gym do other children do. My 7 year old dd currently trains 5 days a week (14 hours) and she will be competing uk regional level 5 next year

It's a bit how long is a piece of string- it will depend on your DD's aims and expectations, and the club.

My own opinion is if she's doing Level 5 next year, with a view to doing elite track levels "in age" (so 5 the year she turns 8, level 4 at 9 years, level 3 at 10 years etc...) 14 hours is on the high side, for level 5 they can probably manage on 9-12 hours, with an increase to 18-21 by the time they are training Level 4 and level 3, and 25 hrs+ for level 2 and above - by which time you're usually looking at being in one of the High performance clubs like Liverpool, Notts or Heathrow.

For regional level kids I don't see the value in quite so many hours. We've just left our club, as fantastic as it was DD was regional level 5 at 9 years old, and probably isn't going to score into level 4 next year. They wanted to up her hours to 20 a week, which left her no time for any other hobbies or activities, or life balance. I've been chatting to a coach of another club and they compete in the same region on 6-12 hours a week, and podium regularly. Ok they're not as conditioned and maybe the form isn't quite as perfect, but they progress through the skills well enough. Dd is averagely talented, and works very hard, but she's been scouted as talented for other sports too. If she's going to make the commitment for training 20 hours a week she wanted to know she had a good shot at elite, otherwise if she wants to continue with gym we find a club that can offer lower hours so she can explore her other talents.

I think probably the main thing to look at is how they spend the time- 14 hours at 7 years old there needs to be a balance between conditioning and skills. Yes they should be learning skills, but there needs to be a lot of time spent on basics, form, and getting things right before progressing to more difficult stuff. Also look at how they utilise the time- how much of that 14 hours is actually spent working vs. spent waiting in line for example.

Her aims for level 5 is to place in the top 3 as she is very competitive. She has done 2 invitational competitions in the past and came 1st on every piece. She knows that her level 5 competiton wont be as easy to win so shes just hoping to get a medal to hang up in her bedroom. She really wants to do well so ive never really thought 14 hours was too much because i know what she wants to achieve, she doesnt want to just pass. Her group is quite small so there isnt much time waiting in line and they do conditioning 4 out of the 5 days.

The main thing is she is happy doing the hours she is doing and if it helps her to achieve her goal of getting a medal at level 5 it will be worth it

I don't have any real input, but I'm impressed that at her age she understands that effort and hard work are what's needed to be successful. I know that I have some gymnasts about her age and older that just want the medal or trophy but still don't connect that to the work they do or do not do in the gym. Good luck to your daughter!

Our elite track girls do the following:

training level 5 - 9 hours, going to 12 hours a couple of months before the compulsories.

training level 4 - 15 hours, going to 18 hours

training level 3 - 21 hours

training level 2 - 24 +

So I would say that the hours your dd does, for that level and age, are on the high side. My dd's gym is one of the UK 'high performance centres' who are used to sweeping the medals at the regional levels and making the national team, so their expectations are pretty high too, but the girls aiming for level 5 next year have only just gone to 9 hours.

All credit to your dd for recognising the need for hard work and to you for being willing to support that.

My dd is training 21 - 24 hours per week and doing national grades.

Seems high for non elite, looking at the other hours quoted above.

My dd is training 21 - 24 hours per week and doing national grades.

Seems high for non elite, looking at the other hours quoted above.

Level 5 the year she turns 8 is in age for elite progression to compulsory 4 the year after. 14 hours is not unheard of but isn't necessary really IMHO. Not yet. I would say 9-12 hours at that age is more appropriate like Flossyduck said but it all depends on your club.

Pink and Fluffy is 9 - competing 10, she took 7 months out last year so the plan is to compete Grade 8 next year out of age.

She currently does 9 1/2 hours a week ( the max she can do at her club). She competed Level 5 at a couple of invitational comps this year.

There are 4-6 girls in her group (depending on the day) and they rarely having a break during the session. At her old club she did 12+ hours but she was in a group of 13 and there was a lot of sitting round.

My DD competed compulsory level 5 this year and was training 11 hours a week for it and she managed to get a medal.I thought this was quite low hours compared to other clubs but she still managed to do well.good luck to your DD.

Sent from my ST23i using ChalkBucket mobile app

I think if you are competing voluntary level 5 in age rather than compulsory level 5 you could manage with slightly less hours. Well done to your dd. Is she going on to do compulsory 4. It has changed so much for next year.

She will be doing voluntary level 5 in September then level 4 next year and her hours have now increased to 15.The level 4 changes seemed a lot at first because she already had all the skills for the old level 4 but now they dont seem that bad.

Sent from my ST23i using ChalkBucket mobile app

DDs hours do seem a bit on the high side after seeing the other posts but i think it's ok because she loves being in the gym. She started when she was 4 and was invited to join the competition squad on her first lesson. Shes always wanted to do more hours the older she has got and was really happy when her hours increased to 14. Good Luck to chocolates dd in voluntary level 5

I think our gym must have really high amounts of hours. My dd is only on grade 13 and she does 14 hours a week and they wanted her to do 17! Wish we didn't have to do so much

6 year old dd does 2 hours a week ( 2x 1 hour rec classes)
9 year old dd does 3 hours per week ( 2x 1.5 hours development classes) + 4 extra hours ( 2x 2 hours competition practice)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back