Parents How Many Leotards is Enough or Too Much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can't even begin to tell you how many dd has in her gym drawer. She is one of the smallest on the team, so she gets lot of hand me downs. Big sis used to compete so she got tons of hand me downs from her too. Plus, I'll admit, they are just so cute to buy! Her drawer is stuffed, she has some in her closest, and we keep some in a bucket in the car. So while, I can't tell you how many dd owns, I can tell you how many she will wear--3! She is so picky! Sometimes, I think she needs to see an occupational therapist about her seam issues. She won't wear socks either (not even with her cleats when she played softball). I'm not sure why I keep buying them. And don't get me started on the number of dresses in her closet.

This makes me giggle bc my 3 year old preschool gymnast has a ton. If given a choice between a toys or leotards she will pick a leotard every time. She is constantly getting someone to buy her one! She only has class once a week but she wears at least one leotard everyday. We have to fight to get her to wear real clothes for nursery school and outings! I can totally see how addicting it is. Her favorite "rest time" activity is looking at leotard websites and saying "please please please". As far as I am concerned I would much rather buy her leotards as treats or for holiday presents than some $20 cheesy toy that she will play with twice and the rest of the time it is just another thing to pick up!

This thread makes me both happy and sad that I have boys. Happy because I don't have to spend all the money on leos but sad because I would absolutely LOVE picking leos out with a daughter!

DD has toooooo many leos. Granted- she did go through a major growth spurt, (GK child small to GK child large in under 2 years,) but now she still has 18 that fit her and she wears regularly. She is in the gym 3-4 days/week and is constantly letting me know how much she NEEDS more leos. If it is not that, than it is the shorts- of which she has 9 pairs- or the Under Armour compression shirts.

When i got tix for the Olympic Trials a few months ago I told her no more leos until then since we would have several leo companies' booths to browse. In the past few weeks she has given about 7 of her leos away that she had outgrown. She "casually" brought this up and said she really should replace them ASAP. I reminded her that she hadn't worn any of them for almost a year, and still had close to 20 in her leo drawer, and that we would be going to the trade show during the trials and getting leos there. Her logic was that her drawer is not as full as it used to be, so we are "wasting space." I almost think she deserves a leo for the ingenuity of the argument!

dd is older and we now have the 'important' competition that they DON'T have to wear club Leo - shucks another excuse!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

In the past three weeks I have invented the following excuses to buy new leos...

1. Rebecca's Mom got new fabrics and summer is coming and those are the coolest leos (thin/spaghetti strapped)
2. GK released the legends line and they are only on sale for like 2 months so she just HAD to have one
2. Motionwear has a new style with the coolest back ever. Looks like a funky spiderweb... was a must see in person so I bought one.

I am weak... I am ashamed.

Wow. DD has maybe 10, but we've only purchased 2 of them. The rest are from a few of the higher level girls. She's pretty picky though - they can't have any pink or be girly at all, so that limits a lot of the selection.

I'm glad I'm not only addict here. My dd had at least 30 at one point. The Snowflake cm is getting snug (she's been wearing that size for three years) and I don't like that they can't be washed in the washer so I got rid of a ton and starting buying more GK. Love that I can wash them! She still has a good amount but I feel better that it's not as high as 30 anymore. I don't wash them right away or she would pick the same two or three for every practice. The legends leos are so cool! I'm thinking about getting one now and saving it for Christmas.

I'm sorry to do this to everyone (truly) but Destira is giving 15% off leos with the code SUMMER15. I might as well look! She does have a birthday next month!

I'm done. Really, I mean it. She is starting optionals and costs are going through the roof. $170 comp Leo to order this month (never mind that it will be at least 6 months till her next comp, and she's in prime growth spurt territory) plus we had to buy her a new exhibition Leo with matching shorts and t-shirt, plus there's a mandatory (for the optionals) meet in Chicago (in February? Really? Makes me cold just thinking about it!). So, with Chalk Bucket as my witness, gone are the days of "just because they're on sale" leos, and just because they're cute" leos. Also gone are the little gifts after every meet. She will be competing as a 12-year-old next year, and will be an optional... The gymnastics needs to be its own reward now, or else she shouldn't be doing it. Of course, now that I've said that, she's going to shoot up 5 inches and outgrow all of her leos over the summer! :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back