Parents How much is too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all,

I want to start this by saying that I know absolutely nothing about gymnastics and am trying to learn.

I have a 3 year old that is gymnastics obsessed. She goes to two 1 hour classes a week. She asks to go every day and it is her thing right now.

Would adding another class be too much? That would give her 3 hours a week. We do not do gymnastics at home other than her forward rolling all over the house on her own. The last thing I want is for her to burn out from something she loves because we did too much.

I will talk with one of her coaches about it, but I wanted other opinions.

From,

A mama just trying to do the right thing for her daughter.

She is 3. She should be doing many things. Swimming, running, art, dance, going to the playground
She already does all of the things you listed, sometimes daily, and is in weekly swimming lessons.

The only thing she isn’t doing currently is dance. We did dance camps this summer and will do them next summer, but she stated that she likes gymnastics better.

She also has done much, much more than that.

I wouldn't let her go any more than two hours per week at this point. I've seen the result too many times and it's called burnout. I'm glad to hear that she enjoys it so much and want that to continue. You want it to always be fun and exciting and something that she looks forward to. I've seen too many gyms having little ones like that come too often for the extra revenue, but it ultimately bites them from lack of longevity. As others have said, channel some of that energy into other activities to give her a well rounded childhood. Good luck with her and enjoy the journey. :)

2 times per week is more than enough at this age. They will likely move her up to a longer class soon, staying at 2x/wk. This is pretty typical. Dance might be a good outlet and will help if she continues with gymnastics (I regret not putting mine in dance early on) but honestly, it seems like she has a lot in her schedule already so I wouldn't worry much about it.

My daughter never loved dance, but the two years she did of ballet fundamentally changed how she moved, and (I believe) plays a big role in her success in floor.

Thank you for the insight. I’m considering putting her in dance instead. She did still enjoy the dance camps and can naturally dance well.

I wouldn't let her go any more than two hours per week at this point. I've seen the result too many times and it's called burnout. I'm glad to hear that she enjoys it so much and want that to continue. You want it to always be fun and exciting and something that she looks forward to. I've seen too many gyms having little ones like that come too often for the extra revenue, but it ultimately bites them from lack of longevity. As others have said, channel some of that energy into other activities to give her a well rounded childhood. Good luck with her and enjoy the journey. :)
I think I’m going to put her in dance instead based on these comments.

We are giving up swimming over the fall/winter because our winters are so harsh, but will restart that in the early spring. I was looking for a substitute for that in the meantime.

It's your choice obviously but my daughter started gymnastics at a year ago at 3. While a little before 3, she made 4 a month ago. About 6 months in she started 2 days a week. Hour per class. She loved it. Currently she's doing 3 classes a week 1.5 hours each. I ask before every class if she wants to go. If she enjoys it and wants to go, do it

I think I’m going to put her in dance instead based on these comments.

We are giving up swimming over the fall/winter because our winters are so harsh, but will restart that in the early spring. I was looking for a substitute for that in the meantime.
another option would be to find some open gyms for the weekend. Would help her burn off a lot of energy. Doesn't need to be actual gymnastics. Various places have them for young ones and set them up as fun play times - all different sport options. Check your local parks/rec dept to see if they have one. Also library story hours, but that's not burning off extra energy ;)

Maybe a playgroup that meets at a playground? you could also just take an hour and do bike riding, jump roping, skipping, climbing etc. All of those skills are great for gymnasts if she sticks with it and if not they are just great gross motor skills. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back