How old was your DD when she hit her growth spurt or did the most growing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Since summer is coming to an end and most kids do a lot of growing over the summer, I was wondering if any of your gymmies have hit a growth spurt this summer and how much did they grow? My dd is 12 (will turn 13 in January) and she hasn't grown much this summer. Puberty hasn't hit yet and am thinking that she is due for a growth spurt soon (hopefully). Right now she is about 4' 8" or 4" 9". I didn't really hit my spurt till I was about 14 so maybe dd is just a late bloomer/grower also.

I'm still waiting for my DD to spurt, but I'm curious about the answers (DD's a couple years younger than yours). A couple of girls on her team seemed to burst right after they turned 12 (one grew 6 inches in about 4 months -- it was crazy).

still waiting. My DD is 10, will be 11 in December. Her feet are huge, but you can tell she has not hit her height spurt yet as many of the girls in her 5th grade class are a good 4 plus inches taller and look, well....older.

Funny you should ask this today, DD had her annual check up yesterday & DS the day before. DD turned 11 in July. She grew 3 inches & gained 7 pounds in the last year. She is 4'9" and 65 pounds. DH took DS so I don't have last year exacts, he will be 15 in October. He was in the 52% for height last year at his physical, this year 77th percentile. He is 5'8", 112 pounds.

our gym is now introducing a weighing and measuring policy - coaches only to see the weight - don't want the girls getting obsessed, as we have noticed how some of the children "loose" their skills for a while just to find out they have grown / put on weight. It can take a moth or so for them to "re-set" their proprioception.

'Margo

still waiting. My DD is 10, will be 11 in December. Her feet are huge, but you can tell she has not hit her height spurt yet as many of the girls in her 5th grade class are a good 4 plus inches taller and look, well....older.

I sooo know what you mean! It seems like my dd's feet are the only things that grow!! She is now a women's size 6! When she points her feet, it adds so much length to her legs LOL. She just outgrew her children's size 8 pants/shorts and all her 7th grade classmates tower over her and are so much more "developed". The last time my dd had a "noticable" growth spurt was between 9 and 10 years old. So, I am still waiting as well for the next one!

I sooo know what you mean! It seems like my dd's feet are the only things that grow!! She is now a women's size 6! When she points her feet, it adds so much length to her legs LOL. She just outgrew her children's size 8 pants/shorts and all her 7th grade classmates tower over her and are so much more "developed". The last time my dd had a "noticable" growth spurt was between 9 and 10 years old. So, I am still waiting as well for the next one!

yup. my DD wears a 5 shoe & can wear some of my shoes. She also said she is the only girl in her 6th grade class without boobs.

Wow, your girls are all so tiny!!! My DD just turned 8 a few weeks ago. She is 4'6", 67 lbs and wears a size 4 shoe...I can't keep up! And she's not hit a huge growth spurt yet!

our gym is now introducing a weighing and measuring policy - coaches only to see the weight

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!? For what purpose????? I would definitely have a problem w/someone weighing and measuring my daughter! What is their purpose for doing this? It has got to more than just "curiosity" as far as I would be concerned.

My DD never really hit a growth spurt as far as I ever noticed. She just slowly grew pretty much evenly over time and then just pretty much stopped when she was about 13. She is now 16 1/2 and is 5 feet 2 1/2 inches tall.

our gym is now introducing a weighing and measuring policy - coaches only to see the weight - don't want the girls getting obsessed, as we have noticed how some of the children "loose" their skills for a while just to find out they have grown / put on weight. It can take a moth or so for them to "re-set" their proprioception.

'Margo

I'm also concerned about this...I was a gymnast as a kid and we were all weighed once a week on team. It was in front of everyone, and coach made a big deal to announce each weight....this is NOT something that is acceptable today (nor should it have been back then).

I know you said the weight would only be seen by coaches, but this is still very worrisome to me. The girls WILL get obsessed knowing that they have to weigh in regularly.

My daughter just had her 12 year physical and weighs 77 pounds and is 4'9" She is 15% for both height and weight and since about age 6 has hovered at that same %

She seems to grow about 2" a year and that was the same for this past year as well.

She's only a size 3 1/2 girls shoe...has been the same size for the past 2 years! I just bought her new sneakers for back to school and had her try the 4s because I felt like she should get a bigger size but they were too big! Watch her have a growth spurt in her feet next week!!

Her pediatrician said that some girls never have a huge growth spurt...they just continue along adding little by little. She figures based on her % over the past few years she will likely be about 5'1" or 5'2" when she is an adult. So, considering she's 4'9" now, clearly not much room to 'spurt'!!

My daughter has a petite frame and I think that perhaps she will be the kid that doesn't spurt....

She hasn't gotten her period yet (going into 7th grade) and has just started getting buds the past few months.

Growth is one of those 'unknowns' in life! We just won't know till they are done growing :)

btw, to the poster who said their gym was weighing the girls, I would not want my daughter's gym doing that. My daughter is a smart cookie and doesn't miss a beat. I dont' need her being concerned that someone else 'cares' about what she weighs!! She is rock solid muscle and proud of her body....no need to be weight obsessed! I would talk to the coaches about it.

My older dd just turned 11 and is 4 ft. 5 in. and weighs almost 70 lbs. She wants one more inch so she can ride a big roller coaster at a nearby amusement park. My younger dd is 6 and is 39 inches and weighs about 36 pounds. Both are smaller than most if not all of their classmates.

dd is turning 11 in a couple months and is 4'6". She pretty consistently growths about 1.5-2in a year and remains between the 10th-25th %ile. I'm not really expecting a huge growth spurt for her. She is predicted to be only around 5'1" so there's not much more growth for her. I suppose she could shoot up 3-4 in in one year but my guess is she will plug along at 2in until she reaches her final height. I'm 5'4" and hit my final height around 16.

My DD8 almost 9 had a growth spurt this year and summer. She's grown almost 3 inches this last year and one of those inches was in 6 weeks. Before that she just kind of slowly moved along. She's always been in 10-20% for height and isn't expected to be much more than 5' 1" 5' 2". I'm only 5 feet if I stand really straight :) and didn't get there till I was 18! I tease her gently that she really needs to stop growing! I don't want to buy a new comp leo at $250 a piece!

Alex is 11 (12 in October) just had a physical today (for middle school cheerleading YIKES). She is 4'8" and weighs 67 pounds. She has grown 2 inches since last October. This seems to be about what she grows a year. She should (based on mine and her dads height) top out around 5'4" or so. I keep thinking that she is going to have a huge growth spurt sometime but it has not happened yet.

I think it must have been around 12 - 13 because i still fit into my grade 7 clothes when i am now in grade 11 :p so chances are i haven't grown much. I am still fairly petite though
our gym is now introducing a weighing and measuring policy
I had two reactions to this my initial reaction was WHAT ARE THEY DOING!!! THIS IS CRAZY!!!!! THATS NOT HEALTHY!!!!!! But after thinking about it for two minutes it depends how the weigh ins take place and what the do with them. At my coaches gym they had a set amount of weight they would have to loose each month. not healthy. At my friends gym they would weigh them so they could monitor their weight to ensure no one was losing drastic amounts of weight. Different approaches, different reactions

I actually thought weighing but not telling the girls what their result is was a pretty healthy way to go about it. If you don't know the number, you can't obsess about it, although yeah, some girls will try to lose more if they have to weigh in. A better policy would be to take height only, I guess. Anyway, you can sort of tell if somebody's gained or lost a lot of weight if they're in a leotard, can't you?

I had my growth spurt around 6th or 7th grade, but I wasn't a gymnast then. When I started gymnastics in 8th grade I lost quite a bit of weight (mostly gained back now) and stopped growing in terms of height. Actually, when I was out for a couple of months for an injury, I kind of re-entered puberty and developed a lot. I don't know if this was just because I wasn't practicing or because I had gotten older. I didn't get any taller, though.

To all parents: kids grow after they quit gymnastics. Don't worry, they won't be midgets forever. My friend quit at age 16 and grew two or three inches.

The most my dd has ever grown in a year was 3 inches, she has done that twice. She will be 15 in a couple of weeks and just hit the 5' mark at her last appt. She also weighs exactly 100#. She is definitely ending puberty, maybe she will grow another inch, if that.

When I read the post about the gym that is starting to weigh & measure height, I figured it was because (based on what the OP said) the gym is using it as a tool to help determine why girls were losing skills or just "off.". I'm not saying it's right, but that's the wayvI read it.

Gosh your kids are all TINY, what about some regular GIANTS!!

BIgger Baby Bog was a tiny little thing in the gym, looked just like the restand was always spot on the 50% for both weight and height, the ped used to call her square! Then in her year, after missing lots of gym due to many injuries, she shot up from 4'10" to 5'3', she also grew up if you know what I mean. From a atiny little girl to being a woman in six months was a shocker for her. She struggled big time in gym around her tiny gym friends. Now she is 5'6' and I think finished woth growing.

It is very interesting to see the change in height and weight can rapidly affect their gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back