Parents How things can change in a blink of an eye

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My opinion is that level 7 isn't necessarily easier scoring but it is the first optional year so the girls get their own routines. If you have a good choreographer and coach who can put together routines that focus on the gymnast's strengths, then they can really put together some good routines that will score well. Of course it isn't that simple, but it is part of it. Plus, having your own floor routine and music, and your own beam routine is more fun for the kids and it sometimes brings the personality out in kids. I know that my dd loves the flexibility (no pun intended ;)) and creativity of her routines now that her league does all optional routines. Kids that have a lot of showmanship, charisma and dance training actually sometimes do better in the optional levels granted that they have the required skills to back up the routines first.

Last edited:
"but that soon she will be level 7, which is so much better anyway."

I'm curious about why level 7 is so much better than 6.

Not to hijack the post and take it in a new direction, but I wanted to comment that I was looking at the practic schedule for a gym that is hosting a meet my dd's team is going to. I thought it was interesting... they seemed to do 2 years of level 5, with the 2nd year level 5's training some hours with the level 7's, and didn't have a level 6 group at all. My DD goes to a YMCA gym and they do level 3, 4, 5, int. prep op, adv. prep op, 7. Though my dd's group (level 5s) are younger than previous groups that have gone through this program, so I'm wondering if they might try to do level 6 with them. To my untrained eye, the level 6 routines don't look drastically different from the level 5 routines, but it sounds like they must be! It seems like a level a lot of gyms shy away from.

Mary A--The reality of gyms "skipping" L6 is that it is tougher and the coaches don't want alot of girls to drop out(see the USAG nos.), so they try the 1 meet score out and on to L7 where they dangle that carrot of getting your own floor routine/beam routine.

L6 has the girls doing BWO and full turn on beam, front tuck and back tuck on floor, free hip, baby giant and flyaway on bars. The judges also expect good clean kips, nice ro-bhs---basically to score well, the gymnast has to show good mastery of all the L5 skills.

There are alot of skills in L6 that are the building blocks for L7 and the judging isn't easier. If you do sloppy giants at L7, you'll get deductions. Now they have stricter casting requirements on bars at L7, so if your dd has trouble with kip/cast racing to L7 isn't the answer. Then there is the beam series that can absolutely drive gymnast, coach and parent nuts.

To me the philosophy of skipping a level because its "hard" sends the wrong message to a child. They have to learn to deal with things that are challenging in life----why does a sport want to show a way around it?

i don't think the reason for skipping six is that it's HARD- it's just that so many deductions can be taken that it seems stacked against the gymnast. Look at the judge's score sheet for level 5 and 6 vault- the number of deducitons on 6 triples!

Level 7 is not easier or judged easier- it's just that the gymnast has the opportunity to focus on her stronger skills and leave out her weaker ones. there are choices. My dd never had a great cast HS but has a terrific clear hip hs so she can still get a really good bar score. have trouble bending your knees on BWO? then do connecting BHS. That's the difference.

The move to score out L6 isn't always what the mobility implies.

One already mentioned is the tough scoring at L6. It is absolutely the toughest compulsory level. Many even see it as the toughest level of all levels when it comes to scoring.

Another reason L6 is often scored out is because of the similarities between L6 and L7. L7 used to be seen as an "easy" level when it came to scoring. A part of the rule changes was to remedy that conception and to discourage gyms from taking the "short cut". On the flipped side, because of the similarities, L6 makes a great building block for L7. My observation has shown me without exceptions a strong L6 will make a strong L7, regardless of rules.

Lastly, the scoring out of L6 can be used to bypass one or more of the requirements a gymnast may have trouble with, due to whatever reason. As a compulsory, one is not allowed to skip a skill (i.e. altering the routine) without an extremely severe deduction. At L7, the same gymnast can otherwise choose not do a skill and give up only the value of the skill.

"but that soon she will be level 7, which is so much better anyway."

I'm curious about why level 7 is so much better than 6.

She actually says the 6 beam routine is easier as she found the 5 cartwheel to be her nemesis! Something about her feet turning and causing the fall/wobble.

Anyway, I'm wondering, then, if 7 is easier scoring, what might be what leads some gyms to move girls and others to stay put?

Level 6 judging is so harsh, that's all I can say about that. It has to be so perfect to get a descent score. Level 7 routines are tailored so the gymnast can choose from a chart of skills for that level so that she does what she can do best, not what everyone has to do. The handstand-handstand-twist dismount is hard from some girls and not others, so they have a disadvantage going against those girls who find it easy. At level 7 they can do cartwheel-back tuck, running punch front, or gainer dismount, for example. They can also do a series of bwo-bwo, bwo-bhs, hs-bhs, or fwo-bwo, etc. Floor has a choreographed routine that can play with the gymnasts strong abilities and personality to get the best dance performance, and there are a number of skills and leaps to choose from. That's why 7 is better than 6. My dd's teammate (a strong 6 scoring 35's) went straight to 7 after the state meet for 6, and scored 37's.

A cartwheel is the most difficult skill on beam. I was told that by the assistant coach to the UGA Gymdogs when I asked her why my daughter can't stick one.

Some gyms (this is just mho from years of observing) don't move girls to 7 if the gymnast shows fear, lacks the skill to move up, suddenly experiences mental blocks, or any number of reasons. A gymnast can be a great compulsory but a weak optional, or a weak compulsory and an unbelievable optional.

Wow! I appreciate the insight that everyone has! It makes me realize I really have no clue!

I trust the coaches at my daughter's gym and know they understand her well. It sounds like when they get to level 7, the ability to play up their strengths and personality (on floor) is important. My daughter already hears songs and tells me they would be great floor routine songs! So she, apparently, knows what she likes (surprise, surprise!) She is very strong on floor so I can see that as an asset for her.

Her first meet she scored 34.something, with 9s on floor and beam. It sounds reasonable to me and I assume she will only get better, particularly on bars.

It seems there are reasons to either stay at 6 the full year as well as score out after one meet. It will be interesting to see how the season at 6 progresses. Our gym is a good one and has sent older girls to Regionals and whatever the next level is in the past few years. We compete against some other very (more?) competitive gyms and that can be tough for the girls at times!

Thanks for all the insight. I'm learning a lot from this group!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back