Anon How to apply corrections

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (d26a)

How to apply corrections/changes?

Ive been working on a punch front and back tuck for a while now, and I KNOW what to do, but its as if my body just doesnt do it. I know I need to jump straight up but I just always just seem to go back. What can I do to fix this, ifs frustrating. Drills, just keep trying until I do it, different methods like putting something higher behind me, etc? Please help

Ive been working on a punch front and back tuck for a while now, and I KNOW what to do, but its as if my body just doesnt do it. I know I need to jump straight up but I just always just seem to go back. What can I do to fix this, ifs frustrating. Drills, just keep trying until I do it, different methods like putting something higher behind me, etc? Please help
For back tuck, landing on something higher helps you go more up. Do you throw your head back in the tuck? If so, have someone hold a number in front of you and try to spot the number!

Just out of curiosity, do you have a coach working with you on this? If so, can they recommend drills to improve your weak points, and regularly give you corrections?

Either way, here are some general tips:
- Film yourself to see what you do
- Find safe drills specific to your problem, and practise those drills. (Eg. the drill spotting something in front of you before going backwards in your back tuck, or jumping to a backwards roll on a mat stack)
- It may also help to watch the skill well executed on youtube in slow motion a few times to really understand it.
- get help from other, preferably qualified people.
- Obvious, but still: safety first, so don't do anything your coach thinks you're not ready for on your own.

Understanding what to do and getting your body to do it are totally different things. Shaping drills and physical preparation exercises are typically the answer. With front and back tucks, a trampoline is going to be your friend. You can get The technique worked out with a strong bounce and then gradually reduce your bounce until it is comparable to what you’d get on the ground.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News