Coaches How to get boys dancing? PLEASE HELP!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cass

Coach
I am new to coaching boys and it is almost time for our big end of the year show! I need advice in getting my 5-10 year old boys moving for the floor routine! Any song suggestions, dance moves, games and advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe a fast dancy song then in the middle cut to "All of me" or something for a laugh ( the boys will like to play around with that) then cut back into the fast songs!

I think Raenndrops is on the money. I used to work on playschemes and on one occasion we had a dance instructor come in to do a session with the kids. It fell to us to try to get them all involved and I remember we were expecting it to be a toughie with all these 7 to 11 year old boys complaining that dance was wet and girly. Actually though we asked the magic question, "Can any of you break-dance?" and it turned out to be a doddle. They got totally into it, decided to have a boys versus girls dance-off and totally wiped the floor with the girls. Not just because they could throw the odd break-dancing move either, they were much sharper and more positive with their movements. It wasn't actually a break dance class that the instructor taught, more like a simple jazz routine (I think, not much of a dance expert) but it still worked really well. They were just way more open to it than we expected. That would have been about 12 years ago and it is probably actually better now. They will have seen lots of music videos with guys dancing and those TV talent shows too.

For kids nowadays the idea that dance isn't for boys is practically dead and buried. Provided you never let on for a second that you ever entertained such a notion it will probably never even occur to them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back