Parents How to get over a block?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof2gymmies

Proud Parent
DD is 8. She has had her ROBHSBHS and her ROBHSBT for awhile and all of a sudden she can no longer do a simple BHS. Her first meet is in 2 weeks. She just came home from 4 hours of tumbling in tears because even after 4 hours she doesn't have it. She is going back to practice in about an hour, but she is a train wreck. Her coaches have been wonderfully supportive. They have her doing it on the tumble track, and told her not to worry about it for her meet, that she can just do something else. She is in xcel, so she won't lose points. They have spotted her over and over, but as soon as she is expected to do it alone she freezes. She is my perfectionist of a child, and each time she goes to gym seems to make it worse. Funny thing is she has no problem doing a ROBT. It is just the BHS. Any advice? I have not been talking to her about it, other than to say I know it will come back at some point.

Thanks dunno. I needed to hear that. She needs to hear that. I know it will come back at some point. She is just working herself up to crazy levels. I actually told her I wasn't taking her back tonight if she didn't quit crying over it.

Hi, if you type in 'vestibular' in the search bar you will bring up loads of great information!

My Dd had a very short lived case of the 'twisties' - every time she attempted a backflip she twisted sideways. Her coach was brilliant but Dd was very worried about it. When she asked me about it we had a very simple chat about how most gymies get a version of twisties at some stage, that there's an official name for it - vestibular issues- and the best thing she could do was not worry about it, that I wasn't worried, her coach wasn't worried and let's have a hot chocolate!!

When she brought it up again I just reminded her 'don't worry, be happy and drink hot choccy'- making a joke about the old song, and changed the subject.

I do believe when any child expresses a concern to their parent, it's very important to reframe that concern simply in terms they can understand.

Dd was very lucky in that, for her, 2 practises later everything was back to normal - 6 months ago.

Good luck:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back