How to show off your floor routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok so i have relatively clean skills but everyone tells me i need to show my routine off more, I don't have scores to tell you as my first comp is in 2 weeks and i really want to sell my floor routine and make it look amazing!

I am a very shy performer and don't really like attention I am also not a fantastic dancer so floor routines aren't my forte. How can i really show off my routine?

Also I have a similar problem on beam that i am all skill no dance so any ideas on how i can show off my routines more?

to show off your ro9utine you will need to take a hard gulp and put your shyness aside and really make your moves bigger than normal - feel like it is over exagerated. For a shy person who doesn't like the attention it will probably be in the normal range for performance. Shy and not wanting attention is not a friend to gymnastics. Having that big smile and really performing all your routines will get you the makrs you want. Other than that there really isn't anything else you can do so go and shake your thing and give that fantastic smile and you will be fine. When you are at the meet watch the other gymnasts perform you will be able to pick out the ones that are performing above and beyond very easily. Strive to put that effort into your routine. Most of all relax if its your first meet just go out there and do your best and know that you have alot of experience yet to gain with competitions and you will eventually get there. Good luck at your meet.

Oh I forgot if you can have someone video your routine during practice and during competition it can help you see what is missing. it helped my dd alot to see herself. Areas that she thought she had straight legs, pointed toes, and though she was exagerating moves she could see she really wasn't. Once she was able to evaluate her own routines she was able to make her own plan to fix things and she did really well in those areas.

Yup, playing to your audience is what "sells" a routine. Look up, SMILE & ACT like you are having the time of your life out there & enjoying every minute:D! That's how you connect with the viewers. Many gymnasts are just focusing so much on their next move that it can sometimes look boring to the viewer. Instead of thinking "next I have to do this", try thinking "now its time to show them this:D!!!". It's you time to show off so go for it!!!!:D. Good luck!!!

The main things that I think 'sell' a floor routine:

1) Use your head - don't just keep your head up, actually use it - look down, look to the sides, follow your arm movements etc.
2) Over exaggerate your dance moves. Even if you think you look silly, you won't! You need to go big so the audience can see what you are doing!
3) Ensure every skill has a clear start position
4) Finish every move with an extra stretch of the fingers, shoulders back, head up
5) Know the routine like the back of your hand

Also everything cher said!

Don't worry if your first performance isn't the best, you will grow into your routine the more you perform it! Just enjoy it!

If you're having fun, then it usually "shows" even for the shy at heart...smile, follow through as if you're doing it just for you...forget that anyone is watching and just "feel" the music and play to it. Be confident, confidence also shows through....as stated before if you know your routine well, then just follow through completely, straight legs, legs together, toes pointed, etc....plus everything else said prior by everyone else...remember to have fun and enjoy performing all the skills you've accomplished.

just want to add something in. if you are going to smile make sure it is not one of those huge chessesy fake ones. you have to look like you are having. you have to own your routine and not make it look like it owns you.

just want to add something in. if you are going to smile make sure it is not one of those huge chessesy fake ones. you have to look like you are having. you have to own your routine and not make it look like it owns you.

Yes this is true unless you have a "dramatic routine" and a smile doesn't fit. My DD does the dramatic routine and not smiling and having that dramatic face and presentation is needed. So listen to your coach and your music if its not the upbeat happy music but more in the dramatic style then a smile might not be the best thing to add

Yes this is true unless you have a "dramatic routine" and a smile doesn't fit. My DD does the dramatic routine and not smiling and having that dramatic face and presentation is needed. So listen to your coach and your music if its not the upbeat happy music but more in the dramatic style then a smile might not be the best thing to add

That's so true. We play the "smiling" game at my gym while doing routines sometimes, and the smile just doesn't add to some. My routines dramatic, and that just works for me. If I try smiling in my routine, I just burst out laughing.

For other routines, having a real, genuine, smile can definitely help it! Overall, if you're having a good time doing routine, and you know it well, it will show.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back