WAG How to Understand Beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sleeplessinnewyork

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hi! I have a question mainly for gymnasts and coaches, but I would be grateful for any advice. I am a 13 year old level 7/8 gymnast. Throughout all of the ears I have done gymnastics, I have always had issues with beam. It isn't only a fear issue, I think, it is more of a "misunderstanding". I've never really understood beam. I get on it, and I would always feel really stupid. I will stand there, and no matter how much I try to suppress it, I always start thinking " Okay, I am standing here trying to do backhandsprings on a 10 cm wooden surface 1.2 meters off the ground, and this is a good idea, how?" ( I understand that the beam is not made completely out of wood but the construction of the apparatus does not enter my mind at these moments).

Basically, I've always disliked beam, dreaded it, and have had many fear issues, mental blocks, etc. There are always those girls on your team and at meets that are literally GLUED to the beam, and their routines are so fluid, and when the coach tells them to try new skills, they will go for them and have them consistently quickly. (Do I sound jealous?) The interesting thing is, these girls aren't the "fearless" ones. They have fear issues on other events, but beam just works. I rarely have fear issues on other events, but beam has always been a problem.

My routines and skill level on beam are behind those on other events, and if I did not have to do beam, I would be a much higher level, happier gymnast :) Once I get my skills consistently, my beam routines are nice , but getting the skills consistently? AAH! Even NOW I sometimes have issues with my backwalkover!
I try to tell myself that if I can do it on a line I can do it on beam , or " the only difference between low beam and high beam is the height!", but it doesn't help very much. I know that for some people beam is "their" event, and that that just comes naturally, but does anyone have any advice for getting over beam fear issues, gaining more confidence, and just learning to like beam? The "1,2,3 go!" method isn't working, and when I tried to use that for backwalkovers, they turned into strange backhandspring-like skills because I was going into them so quickly. Thank you very much for any advice you have! I will be really grateful.( I'm sorry it is so long)

I can't give you any real advice, but I join you in hating beam. I hate when DD, her team mates, or any other gymnast is competing it. Even as an observer, I feel more on that event than any other. It's a necessary evil, however.

The best advice DD's coaches ever gave her on beam was to really feel the beam -- feel the line of her body move over the line of the beam. Also, her BWO used to be really fast and lifting her leg (even a little) off the beam before starting has given her a wider split on the BWO and slowed it way down.

Good luck!

Are you sure you aren't my daughter? I am pretty sure she could have written this post. No advice, but I understand your feelings completely.

I agree. As a mom, I find beam to be the most nerve-wracking. My DH says I stop breathing when DD competes beam, but it is just that I don't want to hear me when I am videotaping!

Anyway, what I notice the coaches teaching and the better beam workers do is focus on posture ALL the time. Pull up the rib cage, hips tilted slighty forward, tummies in and squeezing. Maybe you need to go back to fundamentals to build up your overall comfort and confidence just being up there - without worrying about 1-2-3 go and fear of a particular skill. Focus on that with the basic skills.

I also think some visualizing exercises, breathing, etc...along the lines of what Doc Ali prescribes might help. Good luck and remember you are not alone in feeling this way. :)

I'm with Pineapple_Lump....... Tell us what you do best on beam, and what we'd see if we were watching you work beam. Like.... is it a bunch of wobbles, but not many falls? Is it the acro, or just leaving "Planet Beam" and returning again. What about fear? Does it happen before the skill, or as the skill is happening?

These may be questions you can't answer right now. You may not have asked them yourself, so don't get all worked up over not immediately knowing the answers. Give your self a little time to think, and then it'll be time to get beam figured out with some help.

Hi Masii Gymnast! Beam is a tough one to understand...I think maybe just try to not let the fear take over you, don't beat yourself up if you get a little nervous on this event. Take the nerves as a conduit to help you practice harder and challange you to make you a stronger gymnast/person. Know that it is not a one size fits all sport, and that some events are stronger events for each gymnast individually. Do not let the fear of beam define what kind of gymnast you are overrall. Gymnastics is a tough sport, and it shows what kind of girl you are to be in such a fine sport. Let the nerves fuel you and just keep practicing hard. Eventually the nerves will subside little but little, maybe never all the way. Remember you are strong, and when the fear pops in, just roll with it, let it remind you that you are alive and human! Rock on Sister!! Happy Beaming~ :D

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I'm really grateful. This forum is amazing. I really liked the "feel the line of the beam" idea, and I will also try to lift my leg before the backwalkover. The idea about the posture is really interesting, and I do think it would help to go back to basics and just get comfortable on the beam.

I thought about the questions asked by Pineapple_Lump and iwannacoach. I have greater fear issues with acro elements. Leaps and jumps are fine. But, I am a pretty mixed up gymnast. Backhandsprings are easier that backwalkovers, and for a really weird reason, the idea of back tucks on beam doesn't scare me at all ( I've done them on low-ish beam and they were fine.) Perhaps is is the idea of putting my hands on the beam from backwards movement that scares me. (almost every time I think about backwalkovers, I think of my hands slipping sideways off the beam.) I don't have any issues with back flexibility, which would make this make sense (bwo needs more flexibility than backhandspring, which needs more that a backtuck.). THe fear is generally right BEFORE the skill. Once I'm doing it I am fine.
I'm comfortable with handstands on beam, but now that I think about it, front handstands (hands together) are a LOT scarier than side handstands. I'm beginning to think the issue is really putting my hands on the beam. Practicing a lot of handstands might be a good idea.
One last thought. I am not really tall ( hovering around 5'0, MAYBE 5'1 at with shoes), but I am a "Nastia" type person, so I have really long legs, which makes my "bridge" higher( my hips would be a lot higher off the beam), maybe that adds to the fear? Once again, thank you very much for all of your help!

Backhandsprings are easier that backwalkovers, and for a really weird reason, the idea of back tucks on beam doesn't scare me at all ( I've done them on low-ish beam and they were fine.) Perhaps is is the idea of putting my hands on the beam from backwards movement that scares me. (almost every time I think about backwalkovers, I think of my hands slipping sideways off the beam.) I don't have any issues with back flexibility, which would make this make sense (bwo needs more flexibility than backhandspring, which needs more that a backtuck.). THe fear is generally right BEFORE the skill. Once I'm doing it I am fine.
I'm comfortable with handstands on beam, but now that I think about it, front handstands (hands together) are a LOT scarier than side handstands. I'm beginning to think the issue is really putting my hands on the beam. Practicing a lot of handstands might be a good idea.

No advice, just wanted to let you know that I'm the same way! I did a back extension roll on beam in level 6 because the back walkover was terrifying (because I had to reach my hands onto the beam). In fact, I got my back layout stepout on beam BEFORE my BHS! So it's a totally valid fear to not want to put your hands on the beam.

I'm beginning to think the issue is really putting my hands on the beam. Practicing a lot of handstands might be a good idea.

Bingo.

Some ideas
Side handstand with split
fwd handstand with split
fwd handstand
fwd split handstand, join feet for two seconds, split handstand
Side handstand turn to fwd handstand
fwd handstand turn to side handstand
Side handstand straddle down
Bridge, kick to split handstand
HS with your BHS hand position (on low beam with wall/block if needed)

Bingo.

Some ideas
Side handstand with split
fwd handstand with split
fwd handstand
fwd split handstand, join feet for two seconds, split handstand
Side handstand turn to fwd handstand
fwd handstand turn to side handstand
Side handstand straddle down
Bridge, kick to split handstand
HS with your BHS hand position (on low beam with wall/block if needed)

I'm going to add one more thing to this list, and then a suggestion for making skills easier to work.

I can understand worrying about getting your hands to the beam, as they're what holds you up and away from the beam during walk-overs and bhs. Part of the problem is working these skills on the floor/floor line isn't doing much to build trust in your ability to place your hands in the brief amount of time you see the beam before they have to be there. That can be a tough problem to solve, if that's what's bothering you, because the only way to practice and build trust in your ability is to do hundreds of repetitions while going upside down during a backwards motion. Right about now you're thinking "Geez, doesn't this guy get that I can't do hundreds because because just one of them freaks me out." Well don't worry.... I'm not writing this much just to discourage you, nope, I have an easier way to practice the feared motion into your hand placement. Here's the deal........

I don't know if other coaches have done this, because every time I mention it, they act like it's a good idea but none of them try it at their gyms. So please brace yourself for a shock, as I'm about to reveal the secret weapon, the missing link, the much ignored and under appreciated........(drum roll goes here)...... backward roll. If you do them on a padded beam from a deep squat, you'll roll quickly to the point of placing your hands, and you can use the same hand position you use on walkovers and back handsprings. What's even better is you'll build confidence in your ability to place your hands without first seeing the beam.

So learn the backward roll from a low squat, or a sitting position with your feet placed in front of you as you prepare to start your roll. Have your arms straight and held in front of you, and sweep them back into the reach for hand placement, kinda like you do in a back handspring. The arm sweep/swing should start when you feel your lower back roll onto the beam. You can bend your arms as you're about to place your hands, and finish the skill as a backward roll. (Loose hair is a problem)

Here's another thing you can do to make the most of this skill........ You might normally finish the roll with your feet next to each other, but you can also stagger your feet slightly the same as you would between a back walkover and back handspring during a directly connected series You can treat yourself to even more helpful work by transitioning from one backward roll into a second one, in the same rhythm and speed as a back handspring series.

So do yourself a favor by spending a little time getting a backward roll figured out over the next week or two (depending on how often and long your beam sessions are). Ease into it gradually so you don't get frustrated, because you'll get the roll figured out, and then the series figured out, and then you'll start to understand that a blind hand placement is fairly easy and very dependable. You can use a beam pad when you're first learning them, and continue to use the pad when your back gets sore from rubbing the beam, because you'll be doing a lot of them for a while.

I'd like you to do at least 200 of these rolls or 100 series over a span of 10-15 beam workouts. Practice your back walkover and back handspring during that span of time, but keep them off the beam if your coach will allow it, because you'll be better able to get a fresh start on them and put your fear behind you. The lessons you'll learn from either the single roll or the roll series will help you wrap your mind around the idea that the backwards and over skills to your hands really are as easy as you'd hope..... well, at least a lot easier than you think they are now.

That's it for now, except for the suggestions for making skill work easier.........

You know all those pain in the neck warm-up things you do at the beginning each beam session..... the ones where you don't really do anything but walk, hop, skip, jump, and run. Treat them like they're the biggest skills in the book. Respect and perfect them, because they really count toward your ability to feel solidly balanced and connected to the beam. Think of every jump as the take off and landing of a difficult skill, every skip as the push into releve' at the beginning of a leap, and every walking step as the "base" for a minor dance movement.

If you keep your core tight, your hips tucked under, and your chin and ribs up with your shoulders back you'll feel your core along the narrow line that starts just above your belly button and ends at the center of your pelvis. That's the golden ticket right there, because if you put yourself in the best possible posture for each skill, for every push-off into a skill and during every landing, you will learn to center yourself over the beam through every moment you're on Planet beam. Planet, like it's impossible to fall off the one you live on.

Thank you so much for this post iwannacoach! My DD has had an ongoing fear of BWO and BHS for at least the last 2 years. She is also 13. I am hoping that maybe the gym will allow her to try this technique during her beam practices! She had also been fearful of the handstand in level 3,4, and 5. (she was basically a heel clacker). She was never taught a forward or backward roll on the beam which I have always thought that the girls that worked those skills seemed to be less fearful on beam. Thanks again, not trying to hijack, but the OP's post really could have been written by my own DD.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back