I don't like fat gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, the BMI is not useful for strength athletes anyway. Almost any track athlete who doesn't do the endurance only events or high jump (very skinny girls there) will have a BMI considered "too high". And that's with female sprinters who usually have around 11-13% bodyfat and around 8-10% for the guys.... BMI just doesn't take into account the weight of muscles.

Personally I think having bodyfat that's preventable is not useful for a gymnast as being heavy is bad for being fast or jumping high... You have to drag this inactive mass (the body fat) along. That's just physics. If it's worth to comunicate this to young females - no, I don't think so. Developing an eating disorder happens way too often and way too fast to risk this.

Shecanfly, I am sorry to keep on this track, but it seems that you are assuming that, for the one gymnast you describe, the cause of her lesser skill level is her weight. Any number of factors go into making someone a better or worse gymnast, and I am not sure why body fat would be anywhere near the top of the list. And I find the talk of "acceptable" body fat percentages troubling.

The hypothesis I propose is that body fat percentage has a lower correlation with success in gymnastics than any of the following characteristics: strength, flexibility, vestibular awareness, and aerobic fitness. Probably a lot of psychological aspects of the sport are more important as well.

While it is true that a particular range of body fat percentage often correlates with athletic excellence, the body fat percentage in and of itself does not cause success. To convince yourself of this, try the following thought experiment. A gymnast is trying to move from level 7 to level 8. On the list of things you'd counsel that gymnast to do, where would "check your body fat percentage, and if it is over a certain level, lose some weight" go?

Alternatively, google some images of female college gymnasts. I think by almost anyone's criteria, these young women would be classed as successes. And undoubtedly, a few of them have BMIs that would classify them as overweight. And I challenge you to find a single Division I linebacker who doesn't fall within the overweight or obese category, yet I sure wouldn't want to meet one of those guys in a dark alley with a grudge in hand -- 'cause I know I'd never outrun him! :)

I'm not sure what it is you are trying to "teach" me. I know the difference between correlation and causation. I offered my example to the poster who inquired about optionals who were larger than average. I am not so ignorant to attribute my example simply to her weight. She might not have the work ethic or even the same goals as the other gymnasts. But I am also NOT discounting my belief that her weight contributes to her lower skill set.

Using your checklist example, having a low percentage of body fat does not guarantee success. However, having a high percentage of body fat does give you an extra hurdle. And I think overall fitness level does play into success and that asking a yourself if your current fitness level is an asset or a hindrance is smart training.

As for your linebacker comment, you are comparing apples to oranges. A linebacker needs to be large to accommodate other large people hitting them. They need that size to protect their quarterback. However, when was the last time you saw a lineback performing a geinger???? Likewise, I wouldn't to have a gymnast in full pads with the responsibility of taking a hit from a 200+ pound football player.

I feel like you have the goal of having me into incorporate your opinion as my own. I am really okay with us just having different opinions. I respect that you do not agree with me and that's really okay. I don't think it makes other of us "dumb" or "wrong". Personally, I don't find the larger college gymnasts aesthetically pleasing and I do wonder how/if their skills would increase if they lost their excess body fat. It doesn't take away from their current achievement but some of me wonder if it is keeping them from achieving even higher goals.

Again, just my personal opinion and it's fine if I'm in the minority.

"Personally, I don't find the larger college gymnasts aesthetically pleasing and I do wonder how/if their skills would increase if they lost their excess body fat."

Good luck finding excess body fat on an NCAA college gymnast! :rolleyes: I take it that you haven't been one...

SheCanFly - No one is doubting your knowledge of the distinction between correlation and causation. Posters are flagging up concerns that you seem to have a fixed image of what "a gymnast" should look like. The OP raised a concern that a particular coach appreciates a very specific body type, that is uncommon even amongst gymnasts, and puts pressure on the rest to conform to his distorted image of "a normal gymnast". Everyone finds some gymnasts more aesthetically pleasing than others - the aspects of your posts I think that is twigging other posters is that you seem not to recognize that other body types (which you don't find aesthetically pleasing) are nevertheless normal for particular gymnasts and it would be difficult/impossible, and detrimental to their health (and maybe their gymnastics anyway, particularly in the case of power gymnasts) to try to make them conform to your "aesthetic ideal". What looks like "excess fat" TO YOU can be necessary and sufficient for a healthy gymnast.
Now, are there gymnasts out there training in gyms that would find bar skills easier if they had less body mass? I am sure that the answer is yes, particularly if you looked very hard. In some cases, their build helps them with other apparatuses. However, there is more to life than gymnastics and as long as these kids are healthy, work hard, listen to their coach and enjoy what they are doing, who are any of us to judge whether they "look right" to be there? "By their deeds thou shall know them" and all that.... If they can do the skills, they are skillful. Skills can be improved several ways, with practice being the most effective - body type is not something that can easily be changed, but I would suggest that it is something to work with not against.

GTO... i don't at all think there is one ideal body type that a successful gymnast must attain to be successful. I merely made the statement that a gymnast carrying excess body fat would be at a disadvantage with flight elements and having to support more mass.

I have tried to be clear that I think there is a place for all body types in this sport. But let's be honest. We are never going to see a 150 pound gymnast at the Olympic trials. And thankfully not all of our gymnasts are working toward that goal.

SheCanFly - No-one disagrees with you that there is some relationship between mass and success in flight elements - the relationship between success at flight elements and body mass just isn't as straightforward as you suggest. While we are being honest, I haven't seen many 50 pound gymnasts at the Olympic trials either.

I remind you that the child on the receiving end of the "fat" comment in the original post, and hence the topic of this particular thread, is "my kid is 7 years old she's 60th percentile for height and weight.She's not your ultra petite tiny little thing,she's not tall either but yes she is slightly above average for height and her weight according to her pediatrician is "perfect"."

I am sure that the OPs DD flies as beautifully as any 7 yr. old and her pediatrician is absolutely correct. The discussion is whether it is acceptable for a coach to make "fat" comments to 7 yr. olds and a mum is calibrating her uncomfortable feelings with the coaches comments/attitude with other parents who have more experience. So, SheCanFly you obviously have at least one child doing gymnastics and have spent time around at least one gym - would you feel okay if a coach suggested to your 7 yr. old DD that they are fat?

No matter what relationship might or might not exist between weight and success in gymnastics, no coach should ever use the word "fat" around little girls (or, for that matter, teenaged girls). Period.

When did i suggest it is okay to tell a seven year old that they are fat??? I haven't even expressed the feeling that it is okay to tell teenage gymnasts they are fat. I haven't chosen to address the wisdom of speaking to anyone about their weight. I have made observations and expressed my opinion about physics and gymnastics.

However since it seems like some people seem determined to ignore my statements that don't fit with the image they seem determined to box me into...then so be it. I have repeatedly said there is nothing wrong with gymnasts who carry extra weight. I said there is a place for all gymnasts. But if you chose to ignore these statements then that is fine too.

How would i feel if my daughter was told she needed to lose weight? If she ever needs to hen i would be grateful that someone cared enough about her to be honest. Society treats overweight people horribly and i strongly hope my daughter never has to struggle with her weight. Kids are horribly cruel to fat kids. I see it every single day. Even adults are cruel to fat people. So yes, if my daihter begins to gain weight, then i will say something to her just as i would if she started smoking, drove without a seat belt, or if engaged in other behaviors dangerous to her health.

If the OP and her pediatrician have determined her child is at a healthy weight, then who cares what this coach says?

If the OP and her pediatrician have determined her child is at a healthy weight, then who cares what this coach says?

Well unfortunately, it will be the child who cares if she hears it often enough from an authority figure like a coach. You have a 7 year old hearing this long enough from someone she looks up to and eventually she will believe it. Unless you have a child who is morbidly obese, talking about being "fat" should never enter a conversation with a young child IMO.

As I said above, I think this particular coach's comments were awful and should not be tolerated. I do wonder, however, how a coach should handle a gymnast who does need to lose weight. There's a girl on my daughter's team who is heavier than ideal -- not just for a gymnast, but for any girl of her height. She really struggles with bars and I'm guessing that the weight doesn't help. I don't think any coach has said anything to her or her parents. Do you think they should or is this best left unsaid? Just curious what people think.
I would leave that up to the parents. If it becomes such a problem that she is putting herself or others at risk in the gym, than discuss the situation privately with the parents and request they talk to her in a way they feel she will respond to best. Unless it's a safety concern, it's just not a coaches place. You have no idea why a child might be struggling with their weight (medical condition, medication, and plenty of other reasons), and it could very well be something they are already sensitive about and fighting very hard in their life outside of the gym. As terrible as it would be to mention weight to an "average" gymnast, imagine bringing it up to a kid only to find out they are medication for a severe anxiety disorder with weight gain as a side effect. You just never know the whole situation, so I feel it's always best to exercise caution and compassion in all dealings.

On some kids, "extra weight" isn't extra at all. They're supposed to be that size.

It isn't my place-or another coach's place-to say anything to a child about their weight. If they're hitting an unhealthy place, they have a doctor and parents to take care of that. Some kids, like Molly mentioned, have medical reasons to be gaining weight--they've done a risk benefit analysis there, and questioning that isn't my job either. My job is to teach them gymnastics and to be a relatively healthy strong female role model/trusted adult. If I don't prefer their lines because of their shape, then I need to suck it up & deal.

And "society is cruel to larger people" is symptomatic of a problem with society.

My DD is very strong--I guess she would be called a power gymnast. She has very little fat, but is solid. That is the way she is built. Solid and strong. She is having some medical issues and we are looking at a medication in which a side effect is weight gain. So, should she stop doing gymnastics because she might gain weight when she is put on the medication? In my thinking, it is better for her to keep active and fit to try to mitigate some of the weight gain. She would gain significantly more weight if she stopped gymnastics and started the medication at the same time! And, yes, bars are her hardest event because she does have more mass to get around that dang bar. But, you know what the answer seems to be? More conditioning, which makes her even more solid and strong!

I hope that the parents and coaches at our gym will be kind, considerate, and non-judgemental. I hope that the parents and coaches will work with who she is rather than setting up some ideal for what she should be. I hope that she won't suffer self-esteem issues because of a medical condition that she has no control over (nor will she have a say in whether she starts the medication or not; that will be up to the doctors working with us).

This conversation truly makes me sick to my stomach.

. Personally, I don't find the larger college gymnasts aesthetically pleasing and I do wonder how/if their skills would increase if they lost their excess body fat. It doesn't take away from their current achievement but some of me wonder if it is keeping them from achieving even higher goals.

I find this comment troubling , and I know it's your "opinion" but may I just put out there that the "larger college gymnasts" that you refer to are women with breasts and hips and the like , and not little 11 year olds who haven't hit puberty...while you may not find them aesthetically pleasing, take a look at someone like a Brianna Guy who competes for Auburn University but does not have a Nastia build but she tumbles her butt off, flies around the bars and on the beam and does a magnificent vault ....she's won floor and the AA at JOs, is a two time JO National Team member and she's on a full ride in college...what higher goals are you talking about?

I find this comment troubling , and I know it's your "opinion" but may I just put out there that the "larger college gymnasts" that you refer to are women with breasts and hips and the like , and not little 11 year olds who haven't hit puberty...while you may not find them aesthetically pleasing, take a look at someone like a Brianna Guy who competes for Auburn University but does not have a Nastia build but she tumbles her butt off, flies around the bars and on the beam and does a magnificent vault ....she's won floor and the AA at JOs, is a two time JO National Team member and she's on a full ride in college...what higher goals are you talking about?

oh yea, preach bookworm. someone is out of their mind. and me thinks it is not you.:)

I'm not sure what it is you are trying to "teach" me. I know the difference between correlation and causation. I offered my example to the poster who inquired about optionals who were larger than average. I am not so ignorant to attribute my example simply to her weight. She might not have the work ethic or even the same goals as the other gymnasts. But I am also NOT discounting my belief that her weight contributes to her lower skill set.

Using your checklist example, having a low percentage of body fat does not guarantee success. However, having a high percentage of body fat does give you an extra hurdle. And I think overall fitness level does play into success and that asking a yourself if your current fitness level is an asset or a hindrance is smart training.

As for your linebacker comment, you are comparing apples to oranges. A linebacker needs to be large to accommodate other large people hitting them. They need that size to protect their quarterback. However, when was the last time you saw a lineback performing a geinger???? Likewise, I wouldn't to have a gymnast in full pads with the responsibility of taking a hit from a 200+ pound football player.

I feel like you have the goal of having me into incorporate your opinion as my own. I am really okay with us just having different opinions. I respect that you do not agree with me and that's really okay. I don't think it makes other of us "dumb" or "wrong". Personally, I don't find the larger college gymnasts aesthetically pleasing and I do wonder how/if their skills would increase if they lost their excess body fat. It doesn't take away from their current achievement but some of me wonder if it is keeping them from achieving even higher goals.

Again, just my personal opinion and it's fine if I'm in the minority.

you didn't just say that...there's something wrong with your retinas and optic nerves. get your eyes checked. that's all.:)

We are never going to see a 150 pound gymnast at the Olympic trials.

Actually I do know of one who was close to 140, though it was a long time ago. Being heavy isn't the same thing as being fat, muscle weighs more than fat.

I'm sorry, this is probably wrong of me, but I had to see just what almondbrook was saying in all these posts, and I know he/she is s spammer, but I did get a good laugh this morning!

I was told by my dd's coach that she should lose weight. I basically told the coach that "we will have to agree to disagree on that one." My dd is a Sophomore in HS, is 5' tall and weighs about 100-103#, she is very petite, just recently graduating to a size 0 in jeans! One thing I did agree with the coach is that dd does look puffy in the belly, but it has nothing to do with her weight or strength, but everything to do with her posture. She's banana back and she does show a little buddha belly. I did take offense to the coaches comments, no one wants to hear they're fat or should lose weight. We did discuss it more than what I am telling you, but if a coach feels a child, especially a teen, should lose weight, approach the parent, not the child!

I think the coach was trying to say the right thing (in a non-hurtful way), but it's a bad topic!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back