Parents I know gymnasts are small..but

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you all think that gymnastics slows growth down?

My two were short compared to kids their age, and ds in particular was tiny, before they started gym and my guess is that they will still be short when they finish gym.
I'm short, dh is average height, I think their height is genetic rather than a reflection of gymnastics.

Well, we knew basketball wouldn't be my DD's thing...glad she loves gymnastics! Other than having trouble finding clothes that fit, no worries! :)

At 11 years and 9 months:

your child is 68 pounds, and that is
at the 6th percentile for weight.
your child is 54 inches, and that is
at the 4th percentile for height.

Plus tall gymnasts tend to quit as they struggle with skills and the equipment as they go through big groth spurts. Studies have show that gymnastics doesn't stunt growth, bt training mega hours will slow down puberty.

Look what happens to Shawn and Nastia after the O's, they both stopped training for three months and they both grew up, now they are both trying to adjust to training with a womens body. Neither of them are tall, but then neither are their parents!

At 5 years and 1 months:

your child is 34.2 pounds, and that is
at the 10th percentile for weight. your child is 41 inches, and that is
at the 17th percentile for height

Predicted Adult Height is 5'5".

I admit she is little. But Im 5'4" and her daddy is 6'6". Her doctor said he thought she would be around 5'8" ish. Oh well, doesnt matter. Shes perfect either way

Here's how my 3 stack up -

At 6 years and 9 months:

your child is 41 pounds, and that is
at the 10th percentile for weight. your child is 45 inches, and that is
at the 13rd percentile for height.

At 3 years and 11 months:

your child is 30 pounds, and that is
at the 12nd percentile for weight. your child is 38 inches, and that is
at the 17th percentile for height.

At 26 months:

your child is 20.5 pounds, and that is
at less than the 3rd percentile for weight. your child is 30.25 inches, and that is
at less than the 3rd percentile for height.

Gymnastics is probably a good choice for my 3 peanuts.

\
Now I do believe that gymnastics slows down puberty. Not all signs, but in regards to getting their periods and stuff, they usually have to have a certain amount of body fat on them and the sport tends to keep the body fat off so while they seem delayed in reaching certain "puberty milestones" they still do hit them.
When Beetle had her 14 year check, she had just hit 100 lbs, not started her period yet. Doc said, That she wasn't surprised or worried. She said typically girls need to be over 100 lbs to really start, Like Granny said. They need body fat to store the hormones. Doctor said she said she would start within 6 months, and she was dead on.

How big is your gymnast? My 10 year old daughter seems so small compared to everyone in her school class yet she seems average for her gymnastics team. She is about 54 inches.

My DD is about the same height as yours. She's 10 years old and 52 inches. That puts her in the 14th percentile for height. Her predicted height is 5'0" (which is my height)!

My dd had her annual check up today (12 years) and I am happy to report a clean bill of health and that she is a healthy, happy 12 year old!! I found this old thread where there was a Growth Calculator and thought it would be neat to compare to see how she has grown through the years:

May 2008 - At 9 years and 4 months:

your child is 58 pounds, and that is
at the 21st percentile for weight. your child is 51 inches, and that is
at the 20th percentile for height.

October 2008 - At 9 years and 9 months:

Your child is 63 pounds, and that is
at the 27th percentile for weight
Your child is 52.5 inches, and that is
at the 29th percentile for height

September 2010 - At 11 years and 7 months:

your child is 69 pounds, and that is
at the 9th percentile for weight.

your child is 55.5 inches, and that is
at the 15th percentile for height.

And today:

February 2011 - At 12 years and 1 months:

your child is 72 pounds, and that is
at the 8th percentile for weight.

your child is 56 inches, and that is
at the 9th percentile for height.

Her doctor isn't too concerned about her height and weight--just that she may be one of those kids that is a "late bloomer" and may hit puberty a little later.

Children's Growth Chart Percentiles Calculator

My dd has always been one of the bigger/taller kids! But she is only 5, things could change....

your child is 45 pounds, and that is
at the 71st percentile for weight. your child is 44 inches, and that is
at the 61st percentile for height

According to the other calculator, she will be 5'5.

If you double a girls height at age 2, that will be her height when she is finished growing. That worked for my DD. She is 5'2" (62 inches) at 15. She was 31 inches at age 2.

Ooh Fun! just found this thread.

At 6 years and 11 months:

your child is 41 pounds, and that is
at the 8th percentile for weight.

your child is 46.5 inches, and that is
at the 28th percentile for height.

She has always been on the small side at the gym and at school. She seems to grow very slow and steady, which is supposed to be great for gymnasts (not having to deal with major body changes for skills and such) so we will hope that continues. The height predictor said she would be 5'5" but she takes strongly after my husbands mother and her family who are all very short. If you double her height at 2, then she would be 5'2". This seems a little more realistic.

Dd has always been at the bottom of the charts. Didn't break 20lbs until well after her 1st b-day. I didn't think I would ever get to turn her car-seat around!!
Now, at 13, she is 4'10 (3rd percentile) and @85lbs (10th percentile).

The dr's prediction was 5'5" if you average mine and my husband's height (which I think is a random way to predict a child's height), but I think we will all be happy if she hits 5' even!!

I do believe she would be a little taller if she did not train so hard. I have watched girls shoot up when they quit or had injuries that kept them out for significant time.
But 5'5", I just don't see that happening...

My dd at age 11 is 5'1''. She weighs 100lbs.... her pedi saw the charts and tried to get a fat grab and couldnt get any. Shes all muscle. Healthy and happy. But believe me, it wasnt always like that. When I got custody of her, she was very very sick and puny. Now look at her! Holy cow..we were surprised at the change.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back