Parents I need hairstyle ideas for short/medium hair.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
My oldest DD has pictures tomorrow at the gym, and an in-house meet next month. I have no idea how to do her hair. Most of the girls in her class have very long hair, so they have lots of options. My DD has a bob that is stacked in the back, and tapers to chin-length in the front.

For her class, I usually pull the front half into a "spout" with a small rubber band (which looks kind of silly, but it keeps her hair out of her eyes). Sometimes I do two side ponytails, which looks okay, but I'm looking for something fancier.

Any ideas would be great.

BTW, DD has been asking for a pixie cut so I don't have to pull it back at all. She is a teeny little thing, so a pixie cut would be cute on her. I think she may regret it though. If anyone has a little girl with a very short haircut that doesn't need pulled back, I'd love to see pics!

Thanks!!

Edited to add: She has no bangs, if that makes a difference.

bogwoppit-albums-bogwoppits-photos-picture2635-erin-bob.jpg

This is the spider web hairstyle, works great. There are more pics of it in my albums, though they are with a pony tail.

ANother style I used when Baby Bog went through the short bob phase was to part the hair about two inches back from the hair line and divide that hair into 6 little sections, then I would pull them back into little pony tails that would lie flat along her head. Keeps it out of the way and is very cute.

Last edited:
I did the spiderweb style for my dd when she was growing out her bangs--works great!! There is a little girl on my dd's team that has a chin length bob and she does her hair like this for meets as well. It is very stylish and cute!

Bog--your picture of Baby Bog is absolutely adorable!!!!

We do the spider one as well. :) Last year when we shot team photos, we gave all the girls on team the same look. We called it the Shawn Johnson bangs look. It was what they wore their hair like during the olympics. Take the bangs and sides and pull back. Puff it up a little in the front. Cris cross top to puff it. Use 2 bobby pins. Cross them so they hold. :) We then pulled the rest back into ponies if long enough. I don't have a pic on this computer. Check out our photo facebook page for the pics-group shots-not sure how well it shows up. :) But you can get the idea. Our photo page is under construction. LOL but look up livelovephoto.com. on facebook. :) Hope that helps. :)

Another place to look. I just peeked at the photo thread called National Team on the Elite Board. Some of those girls are sporting the Shawn Johnson look. :) Take a look there.

Thanks, everyone!

I may try the spiderweb look if my DD will sit still long enough.

Emandelsmom - I checked out the pictures on Facebook, and they are really cute. My DD's hair is too short to do that, though.

More ideas
Can you French brais around her head? the front of it-start right behind her left ear and go up around the forehead and down behind the left ear and attach with a small barret behind her head? Hope that makes sense.

Our coach only requires that long bangs be pulled back. Can you just pull those back?

for me since i got my hair cut short right before season this is how i do it.I take LOTS of gel and get it nice and gelled.lol and then put it in a tight pony.Then i put like 8 clips on like a head band from one side to the other. (if your dd's bangs arent long enough to put in the headband of clips juat put on closer so her bangs do fit.this is really simple and looks slick.oppps i just saw that you put that shes going ot get a oixi cut. im going to post this anyways!!:)

Thanks, everyone!

I may try the spiderweb look if my DD will sit still long enough.

Emandelsmom - I checked out the pictures on Facebook, and they are really cute. My DD's hair is too short to do that, though.

I let DD pick a movie, that way she is occupied while I do the spiderweb.

Cute hairstyle, going to have to file them away myself. I must admit, I just put my girls' hair in pigtails or up in a bun using Knotheads.

Side comment, re the pixie cut. I think it is really important to let our kids have some control about how they get their hair cut. My mom only ever let me have a pageboy cut and I still have a hang up about that, I guess. Lol. Give a little measured freedom and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised with what you get in return.

Re the Pixie cut, it was the one she begged for for months, she had it when she was 5, let it grow out and then begged for it again (though even shorter) when she was 8. I spent hours doing short hair and hated it. I would have prefferred she had left her hair long and wild.

To quote Greyhoundrescue "Give a little measured freedom and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised with what you get in return. ". Well I did and it was a pain in the BUM, it wasn't pleasant.

Bwhahaha!

Kids are funny you know, and they certainly are not all alike.

Last edited:
I guess I would have had to tell my DD (in the same situation), you pick the hair cut you keep it up. The only reason I help my girls with putting their hair in buns is because they both like to keep their hair long---really long. Other than that, it's their hair, their choices, their consequences, all that jazz. But, I don't really want to start an argument. To each his or her own.

No arguement. Short hair, long hair I still end up doing hair. In the end as long as they don't get tattoos I can cope. But I do have a 17 yr old, so I've been down a few roads with hair and stuff. As you say to each his own.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back