I need some piece of advice wether quit or not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know it looks like some weird, I'm 15 and thinking about quiting gymnastics but I'm really been thinking about that lately and most before having confirmed that i won't make it to London next year. For who don't know I'm a Rhythmic gymnast and I compete in Elite level. I've been doing gymnastics for my whole life, I started training at the Olympic Village at 8 (It isn't strange in Russia, start training "harder" at that age) and I made my first international even a year later and there I've been until now.
This year is my first senior year and I will compete, if I make team this year a thing that I don't think I will do, directly against all the "bigs" of gymnastics' world. That doesn't scare me, the half of them I've know them for years.
So what's the problem? Leaving apart injuries and that things is a more sentimental side of all this. For a reason I'm not with my parents, that's why the most part of the year a I live in Spain. There's a lot of time that I spent training instead being with them and now is something that I deeply regret, all because I wanted to make to the Olympics. As my coach had said if I hadn't left I would get it but the things haven't gone as it "should" go.
Until last september I've been leaving a whole year in Russia, just trainning and competing but the junior elite is no the same and my leve has go done a lot, is still quite good but nof for being one of the first three, which are who compete.
Nowadays I'm the fifth gymnast, I know this year I will be asked for compete in some competition in one apparatus or two. But next year all the juniors will be senior and probably I'll lost my place. My coach has also said that if this year I just do gymnastics and nothing else, we would be talking about 50 hr per week I would have chances for make it, but that will suposse of not studying one year, two maybe. Because the team isn't fixed until July. So I'm in a no returning point and I know this decision will affect my whole life. I've always dreamt of this but being realistic the junior that I mentioned above have more potential to demostrate instead of me that I've just take out almost everything I can give for this sport.
What would yo do?

PS: sorry If everything is a little messed up, It's hard for me to explain and really difficul for do it in English.

Last edited:
Don't worry, your English is amazing!
I really feel for you. It must be heartbreaking having lived away from your parents from such a young age, to put in so many hours of hard work and become an amazing gymnast, to now believe your dream is over before you've really got to the selection stages for the olympics.

I think you probably know that really you are the only one who can make this decision.

If I were in your position, I'd ask myself the following questions:
How would I feel if I gave up now.
Would I spend the rest of my life thinking "What if I hadn't retired?"
What is the most important thing in my life right now?
Is getting onto the olympic team the only reason I do gymnastics?
If I didn't make the team would I still want to do gymnastics?

If you would regret giving up, more than going for it then the answer is don't quit, however, as I said before you are the only person who can make the decision.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, perhaps you can talk to your parents too and see what they think? Good luck in making your decision.

I agree with Marie, and would also ask, Can I improve to top three if I work at it? Can I reach my goal if I want to?

You are faced with a very tough decision and as many will agree, only you can make that decision. I will say, however, that you should not feel bad about the decisions and sacrifices you've made in the name of the sport you love. From your post, I can see you've gained already a lot of wisdom, maturity and fortitude, to name a few. From your hard work and sacrifices, you developed traits that will help you throughout your entire life. And I believe you will be a success in whatever you choose. How badly do you want to make it to the team will determine if you are willing to sacrifice some more. But if you decide not to go for the team, know that you've already accomplished a lot more than the majority of those around you. Good luck.

Firstly I wanted to thank you all I really appreciate all your advices and I really like yours, dancengym, that has made me fell much better, so thank you so much.
The decision is like "stopped" for now. I know I could continue competing and the reason of doing gymnastics is not just for make the team, if was like that I'd quited long time ago. I see former teammates who tried to get to the top again and I must say that what they were doing on the matt was completly ridiculous and I don't want to end like them.
Anyway, I've been called to compete in ball and ribbon (maybe I finish competing in all around) in the Europeans this year, so I'm not as bad as I expected :) because last year I only competed in groups (for the YOG in Singapore), and one year without competing individually you lose a lot, mostly in performing alone isn't the same as competing with other three ^^

Good luck with everything...your videos are amazing. The Chalk Bucket will always be here to support you no matter what decision you make.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back