Parents I never thought it would affect me this way...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Traci

Proud Parent
DD has a back injury that has kept her out of the gym for two weeks now - and from doing gymnastics for at least six weeks and was only able to compete one meet.

I am sooo sad! I actually think I am having a harder time adjustment than she is!

Ugh.

DD has a back injury that has kept her out of the gym for two weeks now - and from doing gymnastics for at least six weeks and was only able to compete one meet.

I am sooo sad! I actually think I am having a harder time adjustment than she is!

Ugh.

I understand!!! DD broke her foot last monday and her season is over because of it. I am so bummed! She has been a trooper and even going to practice to do what she can even though she is non-weightbearing.

I hear you. I felt it too with dd. It is particularly hard if your gymnast is looking toward college gym, knowing just how important every meet and meet season is. I try to take the attitude of "everything happens for a reason" but boy that can be hard at times.

I hear you. I felt it too with dd. It is particularly hard if your gymnast is looking toward college gym, knowing just how important every meet and meet season is. I try to take the attitude of "everything happens for a reason" but boy that can be hard at times.

Yes!! She has those dreams...it’s just so hard and sad. But you’re right, everything does happen for a reason - and she is breathing, walking, talking, etc....so all glory to God.

But wow, I am lost without practice and competitions! How sad. lol

My heart goes out to you we lived that life last season. She was out 4 months and the restricted 2. Back injuries are tricky so please be careful. I live in high anxiety every time she tells me her back hurts.

NYCGYMMOM - thank you. I know her missing the season is what is best and I will do anything in my power to help her heal. I've explained that she should just take this time to properly heal - once healed, build up her core strength and stretch more. Once she does that - then she can hit it hard and be even better next year...

But dang, keeping this upbeat attitude and hiding MY disappointment is hard!

Thank you for letting me vent here!

I'm so, so sorry. We have been dealing with injury and disappointment too though no where near as severe. I know you are sad too and all I can say is that, you are not alone. So many have been through this unfortunately. It goes with the territory. She will get through this and sometime further down the road you will refer to this as that horrible time but know that it made you both stronger.

So sorry this is happening to your DD. I've been there, I know exactly how you feel.
The first time DD was diagnosed with a stress fracture was so hard on me. I couldn't believe this was happening. I kept thinking this was a bad dream and I would wake up and she would be happily flipping at the gym. It gets easier as the time passes and you start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

For us though after DD healed and went back to gym the injury re-occurred and wouldn't get better. That's when I started to get used to the idea that this might be the end of gymnastics for her. It felt like the end of the world for both her and me. I didn't know if she would ever find something that she would be as passionate about as she was about gymnastics.

But guess what, there is life after gymnastics. DD did find something else that she loves. She found dance, and just as she used to want to spend every minutes of the day at the gym, now she wants to spend all her time at the dance studio. Her first dance competition is coming up in March and I'm looking forward to that. It's been two years, and I miss going to the competitions with her. I know dance competitions are different from gymnastics meets, but still something for me to look forward to. :)

Good luck to you! I hope your daughter is able to come back to gymnastics. Do make sure to find the underlying issue and fix it., otherwise the injury just keeps coming back.

Good luck to you! I hope your daughter is able to come back to gymnastics. Do make sure to find the underlying issue and fix it., otherwise the injury just keeps coming back.

>>>>Underlying issue??<<<<< The doctor hasn't mentioned anything.....

>>>>Underlying issue??<<<<< The doctor hasn't mentioned anything.....

People mentioned a few possible underlying issues in your other thread, about recovering from the stress fracture. Most common are the lack of flexibility in shoulders or hips, but there could be other problems. You need to find a good PT, preferably one who has experience with gymnasts, to help identify the problem.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back