WAG I sprained my chest!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I mostly want to rant and get sympathy. I did a double back off the double mini that actually turned out to be a 1.5 :( I never thought I would do that again. I just got spooked lost focus and stopped rotating. I knew I hurt my neck but my chest hurt even worse turned out I sprained both. The doctor told me there is a fairly rigid joint in your chest. You learn something new everyday! I'm grateful I got out if it with just that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Ouch!! My BFF did this (playing tennis) and it was very painful. I hope you heal quickly!

yes, you can bruise the cartilage that holds the sternum together. this can happen when you jamb your chin in to your chest such as you did.

I mostly want to rant and get sympathy. I did a double back off the double mini that actually turned out to be a 1.5 :( I never thought I would do that again. I just got spooked lost focus and stopped rotating. I knew I hurt my neck but my chest hurt even worse turned out I sprained both. The doctor told me there is a fairly rigid joint in your chest. You learn something new everyday! I'm grateful I got out if it with just that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

OK, you win. You have my sympathy! Sorry to hear that happened, but just know it could have been much worse. It's a sprain in a loose sense of the word, but semantics won't make it feel any better. :) Any time you receive blunt force trauma to the sternum, it's going to hurt and be scary. :/ How long have you been doing that trick, and were you being spotted? No matter how long my girls have been doing that trick and similar ones, I ALWAYS spot them....period! Even at meets during warm ups I'm on the floor or bars just standing there for the 1 in 1000 times that something like what happened to you happens. The only time they go alone is during the actual competition. I know I'm over protective, as the girls always ask if they can please go alone, but like I tell them 'deal with it'. ;) Hope you have a speedy recovery.

How long have you been doing that trick, and were you being spotted?

I have been doing double backs for 3 years, but they come and go. I did the same thing 2 years ago but on the trampoline then I developed fear and lost almost all my skills. It was a bad situation I have not done it off the double mini in 2 years, especially onto a hard mat and I had never received any kind of spot other than the coach throwing a mat in on the trampoline. This time she did spot me, I saw her completely under me and honestly I think it freaked me out because I was afraid I was going to crush her and I think that may have been what triggered me to stop flipping.

Now I am curious as to how it is going to be getting over this. I am thinking I might have this be my final season competing (don't want to go out on a bad note) but I want it to be good and I don't want to freak out and have mental blocks again. I don't want to give up training the double back but I do have other options to compete such as a barani in back out that I feel great doing. I want to end feeling good about it and then maybe do it for recreation without hard tricks, maybe do ladies division if I really want to and get into coaching. I really want to get hard core into T&T coaching/judging this sport needs more qualified people. So I am looking forward to the transition now but do want my finale!

And to Dunno how in the world do you know I chinned myself? You weren't a fly on the wall that day or something were you? :p

If you aren't getting a better spot than that, I'd have to say for your safety, you need to go to your other skills that are more comfortable (and safer) for you. When I say 'spot' I'm not just talking about the 'huck and chuck' bump on the set, I mean being able to be in there before the set all the way through to the landing with the ability to assist throughout the entire skill. There isn't a skill out there that is worth going through what you did........or worse. That is no 'kids' trick, and you say 'it comes and goes.' The problem with that is that it usually 'goes' at the wrong time as you unfortunately found out.....So without a strong spotter to help work through those times, again I'd say stick to what you can do comfortably and safely. Good luck and be safe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back