WAG IDP 2 floor and beam routine needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has been put into IDP 2 (was in National 2). She is competing in just over a week and only just started learning her new routine last night. She is 8 and does pick things up ok but this is a whole new level with lots of new element that she has not done before.

so if anyone knows of the routines for beam and floor could you please share so she can practice at home.

thanks

I am going to be blunt. Sounds like you have a daughter at a club that has no business doing the IDP program. IDP is an elite path program with high expectations and standards. If a club is not going to fully prepare a child they should place them into the national program. I hope your daughter is not from one of those clubs that the other coaches and judges complained about constantly because of poor preparation/gymnast selection. Its not a nice situation for anyone involved. If your are truly wanting to go down the elite path perhaps you should find a HPC or a club that is having success with higher IDP levels.

Well, I agree with Pineapple Lump. It is completely unreasonable for your daughter to be expected to compete IDP 2 having moved up from NDP 2, with only about 2 weeks to learn the routines. NDP 2 and IDP 2 have quite different skills, and very different expectations.

However, you didn't come here asking to be howled down, you came here asking for help, so for what it is worth, a quick YouTube search showed up this:
Hana Chorley NSW State Gymnastics Championships 2011, IDP 2 - YouTube

Good luck to your daughter, and I hope her coaches start to show more respect for their gymnasts by properly preparing them for competition.

Don't worry you can howl me down ;) I feel the same way. She went from level 1 state to national and had one week to prepare last year. The club do it all the time. Although I think in their head they think the girls are learning the routine but they are learning each skills separately. I feel that if they learnt the entire routine earlier then they would be much better prepared.

I am worried for her.

i am in Adelaide and am a newbie to gym so not sure how things are usually done.

I have been on you tube and written down the steps for her to at least remind her what she needs to do. She did half of her floor routine last night.

Did the gym actually speak to you about the idp program and what it entails in terms of commitment and hours ongoing?

Is idp something your daughter and your family want to pursue?

Does she feel like she has the skills? They are quite different - floor - press handstand, ro bhs rebound, beam - 180 split leap, cartwheel, bars - kip, clear hip. etc? I think there is only one girl in our ndp 2 group that would come close and we uptrain a lot.
And in idp they expect them to be perfect.

A week to learn the routines is crazy as well.
I think you have every right to question the coaches about this.

It is definitely something we want and she wants to do. The head coach has had the plan for about 6 months for her to do IDP.

anyway to add more drama haha she trained this morning and will now be doing IDP 1 for this comp and probably move to IDP2 for the next comp in 4 weeks

so if anyone knows where I can get the IDP1 floor routine that would be great. I have looked on you tube but can only find two.

If you search "IDP 1 gymnastics" you should get some. I just did and there were a few interspersed with all the other IDP videos.

anyway to add more drama haha she trained this morning and will now be doing IDP 1 for this comp and probably move to IDP2 for the next comp in 4 weeks

I don't get this, why do this comp at all if she isn't ready? It isn't fair to expect kids to learn routines in such a short amount of time, whether IDP or not. If the head coach has had the plan for 6 months, why wasn't she being prepared back then, why do this at the last minute? It would make me question whether this club really knows what it is doing.

My view exactly but at this level where we live there is only one club a long way from where we live or the state elite program.

Did she turn 8 this year or is she turning 9 this calendar year?
If she is turning 9 then she can't compete idp 1.

Seems mad to me to rush her to compete one idp 1 competition, try to learn the routines for one competition and then try to learn the idp 2 routines for another competition in 4 weeks. I guess maybe they are thinking of it as competition experience? But surely competition experience is better if it's actually a good experience.

eta - also no idea how they could change her from idp 2 to idp1 the week before a comp - the work orders etc would all have been worked out.

IDP is a lot more complex than the other levels, its not just a matter of learning the routines. The routines have a lot of prediction in them such as certain head positions and arm positions which must be exact.

IDP 1 beam
1. Mount form the end of the beam - jump to clear straddle hold, hold 3 secs, sit with arms to crown and place hands in back, take legs to tuck sit and look up at 45 degree's, from tuck sit straighten legs to v sit and then separate legs to straddle v sit
2. Cast to tuck stand, straighten legs, stand up with upper thoracic contraction, take arms to crown, flick hands out and press back
3. 2 forward kicks to horizontal
4. 2 backward kicks to horizontal
5. Straight jump
6. Side passé hold followed by forward passé hold
7. Handstand drill
8. Walks sequence - 6 steps with various arm positions
9. 1/2 turn on 2 feet
10. 1/4 turn on 2 feet and straight jump off side

IDP 1 Floor

1. Beginning dance
2. 2 forward kicks to horizontal
3. Upper thoracic contraction
4. 2 backwards kicks
5. Bend back to bridge and stand up
6. Dance
7. Tic tic
8. Dance
9. Cartwheel to side
10.Dance - point foot to side and transfer weight through Demi plié in second to other side
11. Straight jump and pile backward roll
12. 2 needle kicks
13. Left splits to side splits to right splits
14. Seal shape and drag feet into pile forward roll
15. Jump series - 2 spring points on each leg and then Ashleigh to saute
16. 180 degree turn on. 2 feet
17 power hurdle step round off to rebound
18. End pose

To compete iDP 1 gymnasts need to be 5,6 or 7 years of age on January 1st.

IDP is a lot more complex than the other levels
Snipped because there's a lot of info!

Wow! I had no idea how different NDP and IDP are! I know IDP is the International stream, but I assumed it was similar! Those girls must work a lot harder than my lil NDP1! Props to them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back