Gymnasts I'm always getting rips on bars. Any suggestions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mikaylagymnast

Banned
Gymnast
Recently, whenever I try tap swings on the high bar, I open up several rips. (Rips are like blisters that you get on bars) My coach told me once it heals it will most likely not rip again, but they are painful and annoying so if there's any tips for how to not get those rips...

- Make sure you aren't gripping the bar too tightly.
- Make sure your hands aren't too dry.
- Make sure any calluses are nice and smooth so they don't catch on the bar.
- It may help to cover them with something while they heal.
I do hope the coach is giving them enough time to heal between bars sessions

If you do have grips, I’d recommend Vaseline (I prefer Vaseline to Aquaphor for this use). I have problems with burning and my teammate had a problem with rips so what we do is put a little bit of Vaseline over our calluses and then put the grip on top of it. It doesn’t harm the bar when it’s under your grip and it helps with the friction that causes burning and rips (I also feel like it helps me shift faster). If your ripping outside of the area your grips cover put Vaseline on and then cover it with pre-wrap and then tape so it doesn’t get on the bar (this is also works if you don’t have grips!). This has literally been a lifesaver for me so I hope this helps!

I agree with everyone above, but mainly focus on not gripping the bar too tight. Many of my girls rip when they are scared of doing a skill. As for heeling make sure you trim it up and put some sore of oitment on it. I like to keep my calluses filed down to help prevent future rips.

If you don't use grips, use tape grips when you're healing from a rip and have to do bars.
If you do use grips, you can put the tape grip and wear normal grips over that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back