I'm Freaking Out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, I have a problem. In my gym, I'm in a group called Blue that's like level 4. I have every single level 4 skill except a ROBH, but I need one to get on team.

You see, there are only two classes left and I don't have a ROBH! AHH!! I have a good round off and I almost have a back handspring by myself, but I'm terrified that I won't get it by the 17th, my last class! And if I DON'T get it by then, I have to stay in stupid Blue again for a whole 5 MONTHS!!

I'VE BEEN IN BLUE FOR OVER A YEAR!!! I can't take it anymore!!!! I don't want to be stuck in a class with 18 people who don't have half their level 4 skills again!! Plus I have a bunch of friends on team!!!

I'm not exactly sure HOW you can help, but if you have a way, then... HELP!

DON'T FREAK OUT! you have 2 practices left and a lot can happen. i would say with a coach's good spot, just go for it! if you've got a good round-off and almost a standing back-handspring, ROBH'S are very easy. another thing would be to try going into the pit first. if you are really worried, i'd schedule a private lesson with your favorite coach for an hour and spend that entire time getting your ROBH, or schedule multiple privates until you get it (if you can do that).

so i have to ask, if you were to get it in say a week, would they really not let you move up? thats CRAZY!

They don't offer any private sessions, though. But the thing is, I DON'T have a ROBH with a light spot. I have it with a very heavy spot, even though I almost have a standing BHS! And yes, they will not let me in until I have my ROBH, no matter how many level 5 skills I have and am working on.

thats really unfair!!! what if you get it in a week then? does your coach think you could do it by yourself? just start asking for lighter and lighter spots then.

I thought about asking for lighter spots but I felt weird... it's like asking "can I be on team yet?" or something.

And yes, it is really unfair. I'm sure that if they put me on team now, I would get my ROBH really quick!!!

if you feel funny about asking for a lighter spot, try asking your favorite coach if your ready for a lighter spot, if there's a lot of kids there it always helps to ask!

I'm making some progress, no matter how slowly it is...

I got my back handspring by myself on Tumble Track!

I didn't realize how SCARY it would be... like the coach wasn't spotting me but he had his hand there just in case, and then he walked away and told me to do it by myself, and then the starter of the whole gym (who coaches team) came over so I HAD to do it... and I went for it and it wasn't that bad!!! I mean, it wasn't a perfect back handspring, but it was better than the ones a 9-year-old team member did.

I'm getting closer!

thats awesome! you're really close, standing back handsprings are way harder so i really hope that you get your ROBH! good luck, i think you'll get it :D

AH! Last class in 2 HOURS! *panics*

I know, it won't be the end of the world if I don't get it.. They'd probably keep me in blue anyways to improve it... but... I don't want to be sooo far ahead of everyone else in the class!! Then I won't be able to work on stuff I need to work on!! Maybe they can switch me to team halfway through the season.. yes, that would work. ;)

Nope. Didn't get it. I'm gonna be stuck in a class that's way too easy until January.

But, although I am upset, I am determined to return better, if not the same, at all my skills. I'm going to do every split and strength I know for as many days as I can over the 3 week break. And, if I get the time, I'll go over to my friend's house to do some back handsprings on their trampoline. (My mom refuses to get a trampoline even though we have plenty of space. She says I'm going to fall out and hurt myself. I told her that there are safety nets that come with them. She said they were too expensive. I said I saw a big one for only $100 and I would pay. She said no anyways.)

This one thing confuses me, though- there was a really little girl who was trying out team today- she was just switching from another gym. She rarely had her pullover, she didn't have her squat-on on bars, she didn't know how to do vault (like, she didn't know how to hurdle,) even with a heavy spot she couldn't do a front handspring off vault, she can do almost nothing on beam, and she only has the basics on floor- she isn't even CLOSE to having her ROBH. But they let her stay in team. WHY?!?!?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back