Parents I'm sad for my DD. Back pain is back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Trixiebelle

Proud Parent
Just picked up Trixie from practice and she tells me the back pain is back. It flared up at the end of practice when she was on bars... She was kipping to a cast and then a giant and then felt it. She stopped right away and when I came home, sure enough I pressed that spot and she winced. Ironically we have a follow up with her ortho on the 9 and her first meet on the 10 th.

I'm taking this much harder than her. I'm pretty sure this is then end of the road for her and gymnastics.

Thanks for letting me panic here. I'm just so damn sad as she loves this sport and works so very hard at it.

I'm so sorry. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't. She only has one back, that has to be the priority. I feel awful for both of you.

I really hope it isn't what you're fearing. But keeping her able to continue walking, etc. is the priority. Let us know what the verdict is when she goes in.

It's good that you have the appointment relatively soon. Try not to panic...it could be just a little tweak. It's good that she stopped right away. I'm sorry though. I am sure you just feel sick. Please let us know what happens, thinking good thoughts for you and her.

Well, I'll keep fingers crossed that she just "tweaked" it and that she'll be fine with rest. Poor kid!

I really feel for you. Glad she stopped at the first sign of pain. I really hope it's nothing. Back pain is just scary.

So sorry she is in pain again. Hopefully things can get smoothed back out soon and she will be pain free. Keep us posted on what the doc says on the 9th

So sorry. We r going thru this with our dd right now. Praying all is well and that it is an easy fix. Other posters are right. She only gets one back and it has to last a lifetime. Fingers crossed!!!

Oh no! Panic away. How old is your DD? My DD first started having back pain when she was 12 and it wound up being a stress fracture in her L4. Some time off healed it up but unfortunately when she started college gym she had to quit because of severe spondy. She had major surgery in August and will be going in for a follow up when she gets home from school next week.

I don't want to scare you though! But it's good you're taking it seriously and taking her to a doctor. Back pain in gymnasts isn't something to just "tough it out" through. Like another poster said, we only have one back!

Sending lots of good thoughts and healing fairies to you and your DD. Keep us posted!!

Best wishes to both of you. I can't imagine how either of you are feeling. Fingers crossed and prayers sent that this is something very minor and easy to fix. Sending hugs.

Its so hard to standby knowing your child is hurting and wants nothing more than to participate in something she loves. I would call the doc on Monday and see if she can get in even a few days sooner. Let them know she's having pain---the doc may want her in as soon as possible.

I'm so sorry to hear about your DD. I'm sure you will all be alright as you move on to other things. I just hope she makes a full recovery so she doesn't have to deal with chronic pain. Wishing you all the best.

As others have said, try not to panic (yet)!!!! I'm glad you're taking her back pain seriously though. We all know girls who have tried to work through the pain and have made things worse. Hopefully she's just got a muscle strain and will need some PT to build up some strength (that's what happened with my own DD last year). Her back is as good as new... now let's talk about her ankle... no, that will wait for another day. At any rate, glad you've stopped her activity for now, and yes, even if she does need to quit gym, she will find somethign else to be passionate about. It's not the end of the world, although it may seem like it for a while. She only gets one back and it needs to stay in tip top shape her whole life!

Thanks all for the support and words of encouragement. I was not able to move her appt up so she is in limbo until then. I wonder how much of this is me freaking out and over reacting - after all, I'm not a medical professional, she only had 1 practice with some pain and she was smart enought to stop... In the end - if it's nothing, she's only missing 2 practices. But if it is the same thing, well I made the right call.

My DD continues to amaze me - she is very adamant about returning to the sport, even if it means bracing and taking another 12 weeks off. While I know that if this is the same injury, once she heals I don't know if I can let her go back to this sport. I mean lets face it - her body just isn't cut out for the demands this sport places on her. But what I love about my DD is her optimism and lack of negativity. I need to take a cue from her and see how all this plays out.

Thanks again for the kind words of support.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back