Parents I'm so tired of DD's injuries!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All,

You may recall that I have been posting for the last 6 months about all the injuries my DD has had recently. She broke 2 bones in her hand in late March, which took a total of 6 weeks to heal. She then slowly started getting her L7 skills back, but kept having minor problems, like rolling her ankle, etc. Then, in early August, she started suffering from wrist pain, and again was out for about a month. She was finally back 100% this week, when she jammed her finger (doing the same skill as when she broke her hand). It is all purple, and according to the gym, she will need to rest it for 2-4 weeks.

Forgive my vent, but I feel like these injuries are like a plague. She never seems to recover before another injury sets her back. It doesn't help that she is way behind where her teammates are, but can't catch up. Of course, our gym does not allow girls a break in tuition if they are injured, but are expected to come condition for their workout, which averages to 4.25 hours long. She is gettting exhausted from the conditioning, but not getting the skills she needs.

Thanks for letting me vent.

MamaofEnS

That is so tough for her. Hard for her to keep positive. Miserable to see her friends getting all their skills and she can't. However with all the conditioning she should be nice and ready to get some skills when she is ready to train again. Is it possible for her to just go for a couple of hours rather than the whole session.

Hope she is well soon.

Oh no! Your poor dd. That has to be so hard on her and you. How old is your dd and how long has she been doing gymnastics? If she is currently hitting a growth spurt, that could be why she has all the injuries. (((HUGS))) to both of you.

My DD is 14 years old, and has been doing gymnastics for 8 years. Most of her injuries have ocurred in this past year. Sorry, although she wishes she was having a growth spurt, she just had her annual physical, and the doctor was concerned because she didn't grow much. :(

MamaofEnS

Do you have a neighborhood indoor pool you can go to? Maybe she can do some water conditioning a few days a week instead of at the gym. I am not sure if she has any casts on still but if she doesn't that may be something for her to do to help regain strength without straining her joints.

Oh I know how that feels. My DD was injured for two months. I only took her to the gym once maybe twice a week for conditioning. I don't care what the coaches want, it's my kid and my time.

Anyway, I know it's a tough time for you both. Just keep telling yourself it is what it is.

Good luck and sending well wishes!

May I suggest the following to you, take her to the Dr and have her Vitamin D level checked.

There are a few girls in dd's gym that had many injuries in a row, HC suggested getting their Vitamin D levels checked and it turned out that a couple of them were Vitamin D deficient.

I am so sorry :( How frustrating! I can't imagine how hard this must be on you and your dd! (((((HUGS)))) I hope she heals fast!

That sounds so frustrating! Best wishes to you and your daughter, hopefully she feels better soon! It seems at that age, growth spirt or not, girls are more prone to injuries. Both my girls were, in different sports, too.

My daughter missed her whole level 6 season due to a misdiagnosed ankle problem, and then missed out on a whole summer's practice with back problems. It's hard, because she has the talent and most of the skills to do level 7 this year, but she hasn't been able to progress because of her injuries. She is with a group of younger girls who are very nice, so maybe she'll develop her leadership skills being the oldest level six girl.
I hope hope hope that she will get through a good amount of time injury free!

I can relate:(
I was going to suggest a growth-spurt, but you seem to have thought of that. Maybe one is eminent?
Hang in there, she'll get through it.

I feel the saem way at times and my DD is only 9. She has broken her heel already, has Sever's, and now c/o knee pain. She had an in-house meet recently and on the floor she put on her heel cup and knee brace and looked like a wounded soldier going out. She is only in L5

It must be so frustrating for your DD to keep healing, coming back, only to have to work thru additional injuries. I hope she heals quickly and can enjoy some injury free catch-up time soon. Being in the gym to only condition is the worst my DD says!

Thank you all so much for your posts.

I took my DD to the doctor this week to rule out a fracture. Of course, I was wrong, and she did have a fracture. The good news is that it is very minor, and no cast is needed. She only has to buddy tape. In three weeks, she should be back to gymnastics full time! Let's hope she can stay healthy, and be ready for L7.

MamaofEnS

It IS hard isn't it? I had a smiliar situation with Beetle last year. She was cruising along getting her L9 skills and in the end of Sept. she tripped at school and broke her ankle. She was out 6 weeks (our gym also doesn't allow a break in tuition, but I was able to bring her in for a couple hours only to do the conditioning she was allowed), She was back to full go.. gaining those skills again and she severally twisted her OTHER Ankle. that put her out for another 2 weeks.

Another suggestion, would be to try some professional massage (Not Spa Massage). I have a guy that is trained in Sports and Theraputic massage. he can work with injuries to help increase bloodflow and work on healing. Might not be benefitial for the finger but if she is still having nagging pain from her other injuries.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back