Parents Improving Scores in Level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Eagleperson

Proud Parent
Long story short: this weekend is the last weekend my daughter (9 years old, level 3, first year competing) has a shot to qualify for state. She has improved over the course of the season though she still struggles with the mill circle on bars and back hand spring and needs a spot for those. At the last meet, a couple of weeks ago, she missed qualifying for state by .95.

I realize that not everyone qualifies but on her team of 10 girls, nine of which are competing for the first time also, she is the only one who has not. I am not seeing a big effort on the coaches part to give her extra help so she has a chance but that is the topic of another post....

My question is, what are some things she can do to bump her score up a bit, what have you seen make a difference? I keep telling her straight legs and pointed toes, to smile, hold arms up and steady, etc. I am right to tell her form makes a big difference? What are the most essential elements of the level 3 routines for her to focus on?

Thanks!

Really this is something the coaches should handle. In my very limited experience (we are only in our 2nd year of competition) it is just best to stay out of it and let the coaches do their job. But with that said one of the things some of our L3 girls really struggle and with is getting to verticle on the handstand on beam. Another thing is having fluid routines. It seems like the really slow (pauses between skills) on beam and bars score much lower than the fluid routines.

And you are right form makes a BIG difference.

Have you spoken to the coaches to see if privates are available? Maybe a little extra one on one coaching could make the difference.
Good luck to your DD!

Thanks!
I really agree with you but, and maybe my post should've been about this, I just don't see a lot of productive coaching happening. She did two private lessons at the beginning of the season, on the coaches recommendation, and recently I asked about another one but was brushed off a bit. She says she is not getting a lot of specific feedback and that worries me.

I will have to see how things go this weekend and how she feels if she ends up the only one one her team whose season is ending. I just want to encourage her and let her know that the "little" things like form, go a long way!

I would also agree that coaching should be left to the coaches, but having a just-turned 10yr old DD, I also understand that they don't always make the connection between "Corrections in the gym = DEDUCTIONS at the meet". They need to understand that the coach is telling them to do something different than they are doing in order to perform the skill correctly and not get deductions for it.

Your daughter may "hear" the correction, but not change what she's doing because in her mind her legs are already straight or her toes are already pointed. They're not (in most cases for younger gymmies). But she THINKS they are, so she doesn't make the correction. Also, does she understand the correction? Does she know what the words mean? One of the L4's at our gym was always being told to "hollow" and sometimes the coach would tap her or point to where she wanted her to tighten up. She never did it. So her mom finally asked her why and what came out was that she didn't know what hollow meant and she didn't know that when the coach tapped her, she wanted her to tighten that muscle. So, that may not be considered "coaching", but I think that it is very important that a young gymnast knows what is being said otherwise they'll never make the corrections.

Video's help...both those of your own daughter and those that can be found on YouTube. See if you can find one of a routine that looks good and watch it with your DD. Also, it may be helpful to just talk with her about one thing she can focus on improving on each event...just one thing. That may be enough to get her over the hump.

Good luck!

That all makes sense! Thanks! I had not thought about the terms and phrases they use perhaps not being clear to her.

From what I have seen with my DD who is a l3 there are so many little things in compulsaries! Things as simple as being on high toe on beam turns, general body tightness, foot turned out instead of straight on floor, flow of the routine and pauses, slowing down before hitting the vault springboard, etc...seems like our coaches work the biggest issues first and gradually work towards the little things so as to not overwhelm the kiddos and to let them get the big corrections down pat first. My DD is solid with her floor skills but gets killed in scores on these little things that some other kids just do naturally...like toe point and dance elements!

All good advice - my only thought would be that maybe this is just where your DD is at this point....my DD was the only one on her squad who didn't make state her first half season as an old L5 (first chance to compete at our gym). She didn't because she scratched bars because she needed spot on 2 skills - which is where it sounds like your DD is, just different events). She had those skills the next month, made state easily and has at every level since. She had high 8s in the other 3 events at the time. She would have had fun at state had she somehow made it, but in the end its made no difference in how she feels or is perceived now as a L7...

What I'm trying to say is that unless you think that your DD would be moving to L4 next season if she made state and staying back otherwise (or some such rather key reason for state to be important), I would let her know that you are proud of what she has done this season, and how much she is learning, and help her set goals for next time round...it would be reasonable to ask the coach if they think there is reason for her to do a private now or if they think its just not her "time" yet....I did ask if there was any chance she could get a high enough score if she competed bars and her HC didn't think so ....so we didn't worry about it!

If she is enjoying gym, then you want to make sure she knows that each season builds on the others and all the work she's doing WILL pay off...just maybe not this month, etc...

All this advice, of course, is based upon her being at a gym that routinely gets kids through difficulties, uptrains while working fundamentals, etc...and that she likes her coach and has a good relationship with her team-mates...who will be all the more happy for her when she does get her skills having supported her when she struggled!

Thanks everyone! I think, to a certain extent, it is where she is right now and it is nice to hear from others that it is not a unique experience. I try not to give her advice or coaching but am a bit frustrated because she is....but, again, that is part of sports in general and part of what motivates people to do better and learn.

I will just be aware in the coming months of the uptraining, improvement on fundamentals, etc.

I hope I didn't sound like a crazy competitive parent! Though I did gymnastics growing up the parenting end of it is new to me and I am learning along with her what works for her and for us.

Thanks again!

Is she close to her mill circle to where she can try it safely? If she does it, doesn't make it, and keeps going, it's just a fall, but I think if she gets spotted she loses the value of the element plus a fall. You're looking at a difference of .5 for a fall and about 1.5 for the spot, I think. I am sure there is a reason her coaches are spotting, but I think it is worth investigating.

Your daughter may "hear" the correction, but not change what she's doing because in her mind her legs are already straight or her toes are already pointed. They're not (in most cases for younger gymmies). But she THINKS they are, so she doesn't make the correction. Also, does she understand the correction? Does she know what the words mean? One of the L4's at our gym was always being told to "hollow" and sometimes the coach would tap her or point to where she wanted her to tighten up. She never did it. So her mom finally asked her why and what came out was that she didn't know what hollow meant and she didn't know that when the coach tapped her, she wanted her to tighten that muscle. So, that may not be considered "coaching", but I think that it is very important that a young gymnast knows what is being said otherwise they'll never make the corrections.

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!! My DD is just now catching on to this idea. She thought her legs were straight but her coach actually had to teach her what it felt like when they were truly straight and she is just improving leaps and bounds.

I'm just going to say it....compulsories suck! LOL My DD wasn't a great compulsory gymnast because of that pesky form! She would do 35s and 36s AA but just never looked sharp. She's having a much better year as an optional and it wouldn't surprise me if your daughter does the same.

And Seeker is also right about making sure your DD understands what the words mean. Mine spent months trying to figure out how to get her split jump reach 180 because no one told her what a degree was or what 180 degrees looked like. She was learning how to count money and knew nothing about angles! So I don't consider that coaching your kid....you are helping her understand what her coach is telling her. That's a good gym mommy! LOL

Is she close to her mill circle to where she can try it safely? If she does it, doesn't make it, and keeps going, it's just a fall, but I think if she gets spotted she loses the value of the element plus a fall. You're looking at a difference of .5 for a fall and about 1.5 for the spot, I think. I am sure there is a reason her coaches are spotting, but I think it is worth investigating.

She can attempt it safely.

But, this information on scoring is really helpful---it helps me understand coaching decisions and gives me an idea when to ask questions about things that I am not clear on. I can ask tomorrow about it!

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!! My DD is just now catching on to this idea. She thought her legs were straight but her coach actually had to teach her what it felt like when they were truly straight and she is just improving leaps and bounds.

I'm just going to say it....compulsories suck! LOL My DD wasn't a great compulsory gymnast because of that pesky form! She would do 35s and 36s AA but just never looked sharp. She's having a much better year as an optional and it wouldn't surprise me if your daughter does the same.

And Seeker is also right about making sure your DD understands what the words mean. Mine spent months trying to figure out how to get her split jump reach 180 because no one told her what a degree was or what 180 degrees looked like. She was learning how to count money and knew nothing about angles! So I don't consider that coaching your kid....you are helping her understand what her coach is telling her. That's a good gym mommy! LOL

This makes me feel better! I don't have any desire to coach her but want to support her. But I am not always clear on what is going on and need to figure out the right questions to ask the coaches (and her) and when to be concerned and when to let things play out.

I guess the most important thing is that even though the last meet mad her a bit upset, she got over it, is looking forward to the next meet and right now is walking around on her hands and leaping around.

I'm not a coach or judge so I pay very close attention when we're at meets to the girls who are getting high scores and the girls who are getting low scores. Generally I can spot what the judges are looking for AT THAT MEET. Next meet could vary though some things seem to be universal. Here is what I've noticed with the judges here in TN.

Bars - straight arms on front hip circle. Straight legs that don't swing back under the bars or move much at all when completing a skill (FHC, stride circle, leg cut)
Beam - HIGH releve and not dropping the heels. Hold the 1/2 turn for a beat before stepping out. Vertical handstand.
Vault - Fast run. Whole body bounce to show that a body is tight.
Floor - High kicks (above waist). Straight legs. Straight legs in back handspring. Legs together. Tight body. Straight seems to be the watch word here. Straight legs. Straight body.

Having said that, just because your DD doesn't compete at the state meet doesn't mean she can't go and cheer on her teammates. Have her make up signs and yell on her teammates at the top of her lungs. She can still get a lot out of a state meet she doesn't compete in.

Nothing wrong with not competing at State! I am fairly certain my dd won't, we still have several meets to go but in our state we have to qualify for sectionals and then only the top 1/3 of the total gymnasts of the level go to states. My kid isn't a high scorer, she's in her first year of competing and has plenty of work to do on her form. All the little form deductions really add up!!
To put a different spin on it.... At our gym, even though they don't expect the girls to score super high ( not like some gyms where they have to be expected to score 36+ to even get to compete) if you need a spot on *anything*, you don't compete. Period. So at least your daughter is getting valuable meet experience and having fun whether she makes it to states or not!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back