Parents Info on state skills testing anyone ???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone enlighten me about the new state skills scorin gfor TOPs? My dd tested twice this year and will test for her third and final time this weekend as a 10 yr old. She tested a 22 out of 24 on bars, and has done relatively well as far as skills are concerned, however, I am a little worried over presses and oversplits. Do they take the final scores of each testing, or would they review individual events/strengths for each testing-ie: rope climb-test 1: 7.1 sec , test 2: 7.0sec, test 3: 6.9 ? Any info is greatly appreciated ! Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I did find some answers in case anyone was interested. My dd's coach said that USAG was looking for 75% skills vs. 25% strength/flexibility, however, the TOPs people wanted it to be 50/50, so, they are meeting somewhere in the middle to determine who goes to national testing. Where that "somewhere" is, we do not know as of yet. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks :)
Good luck to anyone's dd who tested this season :)

They will definitely not take your best scores from each test. Ex. Best rope climb from test 1 and then best presses from test 2. They will total each test differently including skill tests. In the past 3 yrs Ive received an email from USA gymnastics on or around Aug 15th.

Our coach just emailed. Looks like the TOP results may not be ready until the end of August. This year is probably difficult to calculate. Just reading the scores posted by parents on here, it seems like there is a lot of disparity in scoring state to state. It will be interesting to see how they determine who is invited to the camp.

I thought at Nationals abilities alway out weighed skills till age 10. With it being the first year with skills, 75 skills and 25 abilities seems a little crazy. I've kind of heard the opposite with abilities out weighing skill, especially if there is a big difference from state to state.

I know it seems crazy... Our coaches told us 25-30 percent physical abilities and 70 - 75percent skills. Does seem unfair, given the disparity in scoring I've heard, but there you have it.

Hmmm, hearing a lot of different things. Guess we won't really know till they come out with the scores.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back