Inspiration: "career-ending" injury to all-around champion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bpatient

Have you ever heard of Boise State gymnast Amy Glass? She has quite a story.

I happened to watch the video of the recent Alabama meet because dd has a friend on the team, and I was impressed that Glass stepped up in front of 13,000 (!) Alabama fans to win the all-around title. Glass was ranked fifth in the country in the all-around before the Alabama meet, and her recent results will raise her average score. Impressive stuff—but there’s more.

Glass broke her neck warming up for the uneven bars rotation at a meet in San Jose two years ago. She was told she should never do gymnastics again, and placed in a “halo” (an external fixation cage which holds the head in place via titanium screws drilled into the skull) while she took time off from school for rehabilitation.

Apparently, Glass wasn’t willing to take “no” for an answer. She not only returned to college, she returned to gymnastics—better than before.

FWIW, dd met Glass years ago, when Glass was already an advanced gymnast and dd was starting out. My wide-eyed munchkin told me excitedly, “She told me I’m a good little gymnast—and she’s a GREAT gymnast!” That stuck with dd, who now, as a big kid in the gym, takes care to encourage the younger kids, just as Amy Glass took the time to encourage her. That's an impressive result, too.

Follow up on Glass and cervical injury

As a follow-up to the earlier post, here’s a nice article on Amy Glass, who last night returned to the arena where she broke her neck two years ago and tied for first on beam and was second AA.

Glass inspires others in comeback - NCAA.com

Heading into last-night’s meet, Glass was ranked sixth in the country All-Around. Unfortunately, without negating Glass’s incredible will and long, hard work, it’s still true that she was really, really lucky.

Kathryn Mahoney, a senior on the Michigan State University gymnastics team, broke her neck this season during vault practice, and she may not be as lucky. If anyone might be interested in contacting her or in offering her family even a little financial support, there’s a link at the end of this article:

Local Gymnast Mahoney Is Paralyzed, Doctor Confirms - La Grange, IL Patch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back