WAG International feed for the American Cup 11.30am

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just not an elite scene deal.

Dragelescu rarely did that, and certainly not in his first years. I am amazed Yin was not banned, he is not a gymnast though. Fabian has only started that recently and should stop.

I just do not think it is very sports minded to celebrate before the results are in.

I have been to college meets, and that is a very different scene. Bearing on mind that in reality only US gymnasts ever see those meets it can come across as a bit crass for other countries gymnasts.

Just not an elite scene deal.

Dragelescu rarely did that, and certainly not in his first years. I am amazed Yin was not banned, he is not a gymnast though. Fabian has only started that recently and should stop.

I just do not think it is very sports minded to celebrate before the results are in.

I have been to college meets, and that is a very different scene. Bearing on mind that in reality only US gymnasts ever see those meets it can come across as a bit crass for other countries gymnasts.
I love seeing gymnasts celebrate their performances! It means they are proud of what they just acheived and it shows their personality, too. I wouldn't say it's celebrating before the results are in. It likely has nothing to do with the results. It's happiness, excitement and pride all rolled into a single moment. It's passion!

Touching upon your opinion that this type of behavior shouldn't be happening on the elite scene, I counter by saying it's actually something the elite scene needs. Gymnastics is a very old and prestigious sport, but many national governing bodies (especially USAG) have been looking for ways to make gymnastics more visible to spectators. By adopting what NCAA gymnastics does so well, which is harnessing the raw energy and excitement of competing, it can make viewers more invested in the gymnasts they're watching and will create more interest in the sport.

I think elite gymnastics is too sterile at the moment. I was in the audience today at the American Cup and I loved the energy in the crowd during Yul's performances. It was refreshing to me, and there is nothing to be lost by showing some emotion! From the standpoint that it can seem crass to other countries, who really cares? The gymnastics speaks for itself, and at the end of the day it is a competition. You don't get scored on how you manage and show your emotions. In fact, excitement is very much a good thing since it shows personality and can boost artistry and performance qualities in routines!

I love seeing gymnasts celebrate their performances! It means they are proud of what they just acheived and it shows their personality, too. I wouldn't say it's celebrating before the results are in. It likely has nothing to do with the results. It's happiness, excitement and pride all rolled into a single moment. It's passion!

Touching upon your opinion that this type of behavior shouldn't be happening on the elite scene, I counter by saying it's actually something the elite scene needs. Gymnastics is a very old and prestigious sport, but many national governing bodies (especially USAG) have been looking for ways to make gymnastics more visible to spectators. By adopting what NCAA gymnastics does so well, which is harnessing the raw energy and excitement of competing, it can make viewers more invested in the gymnasts they're watching and will create more interest in the sport.

I think elite gymnastics is too sterile at the moment. I was in the audience today at the American Cup and I loved the energy in the crowd during Yul's performances. It was refreshing to me, and there is nothing to be lost by showing some emotion! From the standpoint that it can seem crass to other countries, who really cares? The gymnastics speaks for itself, and at the end of the day it is a competition. You don't get scored on how you manage and show your emotions. In fact, excitement is very much a good thing since it shows personality and can boost artistry and performance qualities in routines!

You are certainly right that it should change and evolve, but that will take time. I do think a lot of NCAA energy comes from the team aspect of the competition, how that translates to an individual comp representing your country I am not so sure.

But I think for an American meet in the US the whole energy in the arena is more than most of the gymnasts are used to. American culture is just so much bigger, bolder and in your face than that of many other countries.

American culture is just so much bigger, bolder and in your face than that of many other countries.

Agree at a general level about bold American culture (as opposed to more reserved), and it's not always my thing either (!). I am not a loud person myself, and I don't follow or cheer pro sports like baseball or American football.

BUT look at other sports like pro soccer ("football") games all over the world. Passion. Excitement. Loud. Bold. Drama. Yes, it's a team, but individuals are playing the crowd. The English and Italians get just as crazy as the Senegalese, Egyptians, and Thais. Culture isn't so different in this arena. And at the Olympics, the Brazilian crowd in Rio was loud and proud for their athletes, including gymnasts (many south american countries have a similar bold and passionate culture, I'd say). It was exciting. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. Everyone felt it.

So what should be gymnastic's identity? Who does gymnastics for the world want to be? Do we want to be the equivalent of a subdued, elitist afternoon at the Country Club with the Polo Ponies and a round of Golf? Or do we want to produce athletic superstars with passionate fans who cheer, instagram, and fight over who is hotter - Max or Yul? Would a bit more chest-thumping and fist-pumping be so bad?

Open question for our future...

Agree at a general level about bold American culture (as opposed to more reserved), and it's not always my thing either (!). I am not a loud person myself, and I don't follow or cheer pro sports like baseball or American football.

BUT look at other sports like pro soccer ("football") games all over the world. Passion. Excitement. Loud. Bold. Drama. Yes, it's a team, but individuals are playing the crowd. The English and Italians get just as crazy as the Senegalese, Egyptians, and Thais. Culture isn't so different in this arena. And at the Olympics, the Brazilian crowd in Rio was loud and proud for their athletes, including gymnasts (many south american countries have a similar bold and passionate culture, I'd say). It was exciting. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. Everyone felt it.

So what should be gymnastic's identity? Who does gymnastics for the world want to be? Do we want to be the equivalent of a subdued, elitist afternoon at the Country Club with the Polo Ponies and a round of Golf? Or do we want to produce athletic superstars with passionate fans who cheer, instagram, and fight over who is hotter - Max or Yul? Would a bit more chest-thumping and fist-pumping be so bad?

Open question for our future...

Very good question.

In this case, I think there was a big contrast between how he acted and the other gymnasts. That said, I think there is an in between from subduded elite gym and over the top college gym with the women doing back bend salutes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back