is it considered "cheating" if you.....during a back extension roll?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

is it considered "cheating" if you scoot your butt back on the floor before you push up to your handstand in a back extension roll? i hope that makes sense...

i know this is a pretty stupid question, but ive been told by two different coaches, two different things. one said it is basically cheating if you scoot back, and is the wrong way to teach the skill, and one said that its not the wrong way, it just makes the skill easier. im kind of confused about it. i know that i learned to scoot back when i did gymnastics, so i dont know...

When I was in level 5 and 6 it was a deduction, but things have changed since then a few years ago. COuld wwe get some coach/judge help here!

Pushing back into a back extension roll was a specific deduction listed for L5/6 during the last cycle. This cycle it is no longer a specific deduction. However, most judges will still take a rhythm deduction or small deduction for technique if the skill is performed with the push back.

I wouldn't call it "cheating"...I would think it would be harder to do it this way myself but I don't know...for some reason a lot of people seem to want to do it. It looks terrible to me. Big pet peeve.

I start the back roll to clear support and back roll to handstand from a sit on a wedge mat, until they understand it's the push from the arms and compression that gets them off the ground, not trying to get more momentum at the beginning.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back