Parents Is it safe..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBee97

Proud Parent
Ok we are going to the Capital Cup in March - we have been there before a few years ago and stayed at the host hotel. The hotel was ok but lets say the area the sports complex and hotel are in left me feeling less than safe and this city girl knows when an area is dangerous. So going back I don't mind driving but which areas of DC are "more safe". We are looking at some hotels in VA near pentagon area, in DC it self and someone suggested Silver city area.

We want to be able to do the tourist things day or night an not feel like im going to get mugged just getting out of the car. We are planning on adding a few days to the trip to do that tourist stuff.

Suggestions??

When we've gone to DC we stayed in DuPont Circle, and took the subway to get to The Mall area, museums, etc. I was completely comfortable walking around and didn't get "that" feeling at all.

When we went to DC a few years ago, we stayed at a Residence Inn in Bethesda, MD. It was just a couple of blocks from the subway and it's a nice area. Lots of restaurants and shops very much within walking distance. We were there for a week and did it all on foot and by subway. We would take the subway into DC each day, but tried to be out of there by dark, per the suggestion of a friend who has lived in Baltimore her whole life.

Okay the meet is in PG county MD so you're nowhere near any part of DC like DuPont circle (NW) you're going to be considerably east of DC at least on terms of the area which has a lot of traffic.

Bethesda is also entirely on the other side of Maryland. You'd have to drive halfway around the beltway. You'd be better off staying near Annapolis if you don't mind driving a bit. I would look at hotel reviews online.

Okay the meet is in PG county MD so you're nowhere near any part of DC like DuPont circle (NW) you're going to be considerably east of DC at least on terms of the area which has a lot of traffic.

Bethesda is also entirely on the other side of Maryland. You'd have to drive halfway around the beltway. You'd be better off staying near Annapolis if you don't mind driving a bit. I would look at hotel reviews online.
We have been to this meet a few years ago. This time around we are going to take a few days to do the tourist thing. I don't mind driving at all in city traffic as I grew up in a big busy city and now live where everything is 30-45 min drive. I was looking at residence inn at DuPont circle or Bethesda or near pentagon. Just wasn't sure how safe those areas were.

We also are planning on doing a college visit to Washington university. So the meet will only be a small part of our time there.

Bethesda is a very safe suburb. But I would advise you to plan for a lot of time then. If you're visiting GW you could stay around there (foggy bottom) or you could stay in Georgetown or across the bridge in Rosslyn those are the nicest tourist areas. If you want a really nice hotel try the marriott key bridge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back