WAG Is it time to quit?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast4

I am a 14 year old xcel gold gymnast. I've done gymnastics for almost 6 years yet I haven't really became a good gymnast. I work so hard in practice but its just like I never get any better or get new skills. I've gone through several injuries that have kept me from tumbling; I am currently recovering from an ankle injury that has kept me out of tumbling for almost four months. I love gymnastics SO much. It is something I truly have a passion for but I don't know if its worth it to stay in the sport if I'm not going to get any better. any opinions? also tips on coming back after injuries would be appreciated. :)

It is hard for any of us to say without knowing your complete story (e.g.: the severity of your injuries). The truth is probably only you know the real answer to the question.

But, my initial reaction whenever this question comes up on the board is, "No, don't quit!" It takes a real level of commitment and talent to make it to Xcel gold. So you must be doing something right! You are still young and can (theoretically) work to overcome injury, stay in the sport and maybe even do club gymnastics in college.

If you look at the forum today, there is a post called "go back or not?" in Other Gymnastics. Madcowgirl really misses gymnastics and wants to go back to it. This is the flip side (no pun intended) of your post. On the Chalkbucket, there is at least as much regret about quitting (probably more) as there is angst about wanting to quit.

It's funny. Gymnastics is a sport that seems to require more dedication and work than most other sports I have had experience with, and yet people have a hard time walking away from it. It must just get in the blood.

So, if your injuries are such that you can come back, I say stick with it through another season and see how you feel next spring.

You love it!! So why quit. Do you have to achieve x,y,z skill or level to love it? No.

If you love it it's the thing for now for you. Maybe you will progress but hey if you don't and love it then what's the problem.
You are fit, strong and have a healthy and fun passion in life. Enjoy it whilst you can.

Don't stress about the next skill you 'need' to get, just enjoy what you are doing and revel in any new things you get.
You are stronger and more flexible and fitter than most of your friends I'm sure and getting that from a sport you love to do so continue as long as you can.

If you LOOOOVVVVVEEEE it.......don't quit. At your age, with high school, and other scary situations, gymnastics is the one thing that will help you "hold your head high". We have spent a small fortune on my DD (going to school on a gymnastics scolarship)but it was worth EVERY DIME, with the self esteem it gave her and the way it kept her busy and "out of trouble". Too many of her friends from middle school, started doing things that they should not......and ended up making poor choices. DD admits that gymnastic practice kept her too busy to get into trouble. Its an old, but true saying.......Idle hands are the devils tools".
Good Luck.......and hold that head high.

If you LOVE it then it doesn't matter so long as its still fun for you why would you quit. The big question for me is what goals do you have for your gymnastics? 6 years isn't that long at this sport and at 14 your body is changing a lot and it has to get use to that new shape so things may slow way down in gaining skills. You may even loose a few skills until your body can adjust. Is there something else you have a passion for that you want to try out instead?? Have you talked to your coach and discussed goals for yourself to achieve over the year?? Remember Gymnastics is like a long slow marathon not a quick sprint and it could take a few years to get some moves. I bet you are improving your skills but you just don't see it. Would you regret quitting? Most girls are not going to go to the Olympics or even make it to a college team but they sure had FUN along the way dreaming of these goals.

I just want to thank you all for the incredible advice and support!! I have decided to stick with it and to stop worrying so much about getting new skills. I'm just going to have fun and enjoy every second of practice and competitions while I can!!

I just want to thank you all for the incredible advice and support!! I have decided to stick with it and to stop worrying so much about getting new skills. I'm just going to have fun and enjoy every second of practice and competitions while I can!!

Good for you. that is how every gymnast should practice and enjoy!! the skills will come if you just relax and enjoy what you are doing.

I'm a level 8 and I have TERRIBLE ankles... Torn ligaments, achilles tendonitist, break and so.. Much... More! Haha well I've had all of these problems for about 4 years... I've done everything except surgery and ill probably end up having it very soon but I'm still in the sport because its what I love there's nothing I want to do more! So if you feel the same way stay in the sport! Also Ik not getting to tumble sucks I didn't get to for about 4-5 months and part of that was meet season and I only got to once a week or not at all.. And I would cry at meets cause I thought it was unfair

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back