Anon Is it worth pursuing college gymnastics to compete two events?

• Thread starter Anonymous (a123)
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (a123)

First, I get that "worth it" is going to be dependent on the gymnast, and I also know how difficult it is to get a spot on an NCAA team in the first place. My daughter is focusing on D2/3 programs, and is strong on two events. She'd be quite happy to just compete those events in college (and I know that often happens anyway with the need to make the line-up), but do schools recruit for just a couple of events? The list of D2/3 schools is already short enough that it limits her choices to begin with- I can't help wondering if it's worth pursuing college gymnastics if she really only wants to compete two events. A&T is not appealing to her at this point.

Short answer, yes. My DD’s D3 team had a roster of 20+ and only 4 were AA. Most competed 2 events, some just one. Specializing is the norm. It really just depends on what the need is for the team. For instance, my DDs team was in need of stronger floor. My DD was a strong vaulter and floor so this was the understanding in advance of where her coach saw her contributing to the team.

Short answer, yes. My DD’s D3 team had a roster of 20+ and only 4 were AA. Most competed 2 events, some just one. Specializing is the norm. It really just depends on what the need is for the team. For instance, my DDs team was in need of stronger floor. My DD was a strong vaulter and floor so this was the understanding in advance of where her coach saw her contributing to the team.
Good to know! Does your daughter train the other events too or just focus on vault and floor?

For awhile she trained all 4 but by the end of her first semester was really only focused on 2 events.

Late to the party. Sorry I was away for 2 weeks. The goal is always to recruit all arounders, even in D3 but the reality is that most d3 gymnasts train only 2-3 events. Most have dealt with significant injuries in their careers that limit their ability to train all 4. If she has good L10 routines with 10.0 SVS in 2 events, and wants to try D3, I would encourage her.

D2 is a little different. They are more likely to recruit and get AAers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back