WAG Is there a deduction for a beam routine being to short?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dynamicduo

Proud Parent
My dd is working on her level 7 beam and it clocks in around 40 seconds. She hits all her needed skills (I think), starts down on the beam, does full turn, bwo-bhs, split jump/beat jump combo then cw-bt. I know there are over time deductions but not sure about under time ones! Thanks!

There is a short exercise penalty for routines under 30 seconds (and it is a 2.0 deduction so much worse than going over for 0.1), but if she is at 40 seconds than that is not a problem.

At L7 there are no composition deductions to worry about, but artistry deductions - especially for originality/creativity of choreography - are certainly possible, depending upon the routine and the judge.

I gather they like to keep Level 7 short and sharp, so they get up there, get through their skills and get off before they fall... Level 8 seems to be more dancey from my perspective.

There is a short exercise penalty for routines under 30 seconds (and it is a 2.0 deduction so much worse than going over for 0.1), but if she is at 40 seconds than that is not a problem.

At L7 there are no composition deductions to worry about, but artistry deductions - especially for originality/creativity of choreography - are certainly possible, depending upon the routine and the judge.
That's interesting to know that artistry deductions are possible - what type of routines are looked at favorably from an originality/creativity perspective?? The OP outlined the basic elements we are seeing in beam routines thus far this season.....but what would make a routine "creative"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back