Parents Is this a normal reaction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I almost cried when my dd (level 2) finally did her vault at a competition WITHOUT a spot. Her first 2 meets (one a mock meet, the other real) she had to be spotted on it and so scratched and got a big old 0. Her third meet she had vault as the first event and was the first one in her group to do it. Talk about pressure for her! I was so worried that if she scratched again she would be upset the rest of the meet, but she did it and got a 8.9! I was so relieved and happy that I stated tearing up for her. :)

In the blizzard of worlds coverage, somewhere I saw a picture of Kohei Uchimura's mother in the stands, waving a Japanese flag with a 5 in the middle of it. No matter how far our kids go and where they end up when they get there, they will still be our kids.

Edited to add this link: http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/sports/AJ201208020085
During the London Olympics, she was cheering so loudly that he could hear her during the AA finals.

So normal! I cry all the time during gymnastics. It doesn't matter who's doing it. I cry at DD's meets, I cry when watching the elites on TV, I even cry when the song "Home" comes on bc it was the theme for gymnastics during the last summer games. I'm a wreck. LOL

I admit I'm a crier. My heart swells and the tears flow at school plays and awards days, anything like that. My kids are totally used to it.

I definitely cry tears of relief and happiness when dd does well. I can be heard audibly gulping at the end of a couple of videos of her and am banned from putting them on facebook!

Strangely, although I've never felt like crying when dd hasn't had a good comp (I'm sad for her yes, but not teary) I do cry when I see other girls upset - even when I have no idea who they are. That's probably a bit strange...

I'm not a crier but I did accidentally let out a whoop at DD's first meet because I wasn't expecting her to win AA. And I have been known to fist pump when one of our girls hits a skill that she's been struggling with in practice. Really, I belong at a football game more than a gymnastics meet. :-(

I am not sure what has happened to me as I have gotten older...but I get teary when something good happens to the kids I am coaching...getting a kip, making it to Nationals, getting in to the college of their choice...it all brings happy tears to my eyes!

I got all choked and did a 'silent not noticeable' fist pump on Saturday when my little boy finally landed from a trampette and that's relatively mi or :-D

So glad I'm not the only crybaby here!!!
OMG, I cry (or tear up) over so much at meets. It's like the stress starts (peaks) as I enter, and doesn't end until it's all over. In between, someone falls off the beam, I don't even know her, I've got tears. A girl completes her entire floor routine without music, I've got tears. A girl I've watched at a few meets nails her floor routine with a 9.85, I've got tears. My DD falls off beam, I cry. My DD doesn't fall off beam, I cry harder :)

So glad I'm not the only crybaby here!!!
OMG, I cry (or tear up) over so much at meets. It's like the stress starts (peaks) as I enter, and doesn't end until it's all over. In between, someone falls off the beam, I don't even know her, I've got tears. A girl completes her entire floor routine without music, I've got tears. A girl I've watched at a few meets nails her floor routine with a 9.85, I've got tears. My DD falls off beam, I cry. My DD doesn't fall off beam, I cry harder :)
oh my gosh me too! As soon as I enter the gym I get so stressed out. It was never this was watching her play soccer.

My DD is new to competing on team (and we are new to the sport altogether), this is her first year at L3. Long story short she has been struggling on beam. She does great at practice but at competitions her nerves get the best of her and at her first 2 meets she fell off the beam twice AND missed her dismount twice - we are talking scoring in the 4s!! lol.

Yesterday was her third meet and she has been working SO hard at it. She nailed her routine and got the second highest score on her team. I ended up crying because I was so happy for her. Is that a normal parent reaction or am I a nut??

I can understand crying if they win state or something huge but this was tears just because she finally did it.
I used to cry at DD's meets during the national anthem. I have gotten a little better but still a bit of a nervous wreck for beam. Once I left just as she started beam and she saw me and thought I didn't have confidence in her. Now I stay I just try not to make scared faces. Or look just past the beam until she gets past the BWO BHS. Super normal or we are all nuts. LOL

oh my gosh me too! As soon as I enter the gym I get so stressed out. It was never this was watching her play soccer.

Talk about an adrenaline rush! and crash... That's pretty much what gets my tears going. (I mean, I'm not truly "crying", but there are pools in my eyes for a second if she falls from the beam, only because I internalize how she must be feeling).

I love this thread, because I typically sit near veteran moms who are so non-chalant, and I feel like I must be nuts!

Yep- so normal. (-: Congrats to your daughter! Mine is the same way on beam, and I am on cloud nine for her when she does it clean at a meet. It can be a favorite event to train, but not necessarily a favorite event to compete. (-:

I cry at all the P&G ("Thanks, Mom") commercials.

My DD is new to competing on team (and we are new to the sport altogether), this is her first year at L3. Long story short she has been struggling on beam. She does great at practice but at competitions her nerves get the best of her and at her first 2 meets she fell off the beam twice AND missed her dismount twice - we are talking scoring in the 4s!! lol.

Yesterday was her third meet and she has been working SO hard at it. She nailed her routine and got the second highest score on her team. I ended up crying because I was so happy for her. Is that a normal parent reaction or am I a nut??

I can understand crying if they win state or something huge but this was tears just because she finally did it.

I cried at my ydd 2nd meet because she red her first ever 9 and got a blue ribbon .. kid was jumping with excitement and I was over the moon proud of her :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back