MAG Is this good?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My cousin is 9 years old and a level 6. I've heard from my relatives that he does very well at meets and wins many events. He lives in Texas, but went to a meet in California last weekend and has been to Las Vegas and other places for meets. I haven't heard of many lower level girl gymnasts who travel that much. Is he good for a nine year old? What are the skills like for boys level 6? I really don't know anything about boys gymnastics.

He sounds like he is doing well! My ds is a 10 yo level 6, and we have 2 9 yo level 6s (all about the same age, D just turns right before the cutoff.)

We travel like that. It all depends on where the team is going. Vegas, Minnesota, Houston, Albuquerque, Stanford, etc.

The skills are different, as boys have a lot longer to compete than girls. At level 6, it is often about getting the basics down to use in the next few levels.

Next year when my son would be in Level 6, there would be 5 boys out of 11 that would be in that age group. Of course, that is if all of them progress to level 6 next year....I am pretty sure that three out of those five will. My son will be in the age level down. he will be in the eight year olds.

The boys' floor routine for L6 includes a lot of the same skills as the girls' routine: FHS stepout-FHS, front tuck, RO-BHS-BT. Boys also do the front handspring vault. Their horizontal bar routine includes a free hip and a flyaway. So in a lot of ways, it's not really that different, though they have rings and p bars and you have beam. My sense, though, is that boys generally don't tend to move up the levels as quickly and they don't skip L6 to get to optionals.

Boys' teams as a rule will have to travel farther because there just aren't as many meets.

Based on what you're said, your cousin is probably pretty darn good. It would be great if you could see some videos of his routines and see what you think!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back