WAG It happened again......ideas?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

monkeysmom

This is the fifth time this has happened in the last year.....I wish I could trace it to something in particular, but it seems to come on like a stealth bomber. Other than I know when it started-- it was after daughter got really sick on vacation and I think had heat stroke .... Five times since then, I go to pick up my daughter from practice... I can see she just looks tired. Instead of her usual happy skippy self, she looks tired and pale, slumpy.... She comes out, gets dressed. Starts crying on the way to the car that she has a heachache. I try to get her to drink and snack, then boom either in the car or in the house she vomits uncontrollably, usually about four times. It really scares me because then she just wants to sleep and will only take a few tiny sips of water. The next day, she wakes up wants her waffles and a drink and seems just fine. I know the obvious answers, make sure she is getting enough sleep and eating right. But I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this. Every time it happens I tell myself it's the last time, and I will help her be even more cognizent about her fluids, food, sleep etc., and then it sneaks up on us again..... Ideas? Any specific nutritional or other advice from someone who has seen this too?

What does she eat during the day while at school? I used to use my lunch money to buy a bag of Andy Capp Hot Fries, two ice cream sandwiches and a can of Dr Pepper. After school, I'd go to soccer practice and run for two solid hours. The nature of my schedule was such that breakfast was around 6:00 AM and dinner wasn't until 8:00 PM. Eventually, I started having health issues, including nasty headaches, being wiped out, etc. My parents had no idea that I never ate a good lunch because I wasn't about to tell them what I did with my lunch money.

Vomiting uncontrollably five times in a year would probably be enough for a visit to a doctor if you haven't gone already. I don't think this is normal regardless of her diet or sleep habits.

I pack her lunch every day, so I know she is eating fairly healthy. I did mention it to her primary care doctor, and she just responsded with sleep and eating right..... Navigating the healthcare system to get to someone who will listen is challenging at times. And of course when we are there she is fine, so it's just anecdotal at that point.... I will mention it again though next time we are in...

I would definitely see a doctor. I'm not saying your dd has this, but there are all kinds of rare things out there - my son (not a gymnast) has a neurological condition called a chiari malformation and it results in all kinds of weird things, but one of which is headaches that cause vomiting (similar to a migrane, but not exactly). Different things can trigger his headaches- certain foods, dehydration, lack of sleep, certain smells, bright lights for extended periods of time, etc. It would definitely be worth a trip to the pediatrician.

NOTE - I am not a doctor....
This sounds just like my brother's kids. Does she bruise easliy by any chance? Both of his kids were diagnosed with Celiac's disease (gluten intolerance). They started lethargic, then pale, then projectile puking, then within an hour , fell into a dead sleep. Once they awoke, they were fine. (color returned, energetic, hungry...) Acutally my nephew had another symptom that isnt always common and that is what I was told as "drunken sailor stagger". He would just bump into things, like in another zone, before he threw up then wen to sleep. - Just wanted to let you know. Hope you get it figured out soon. Maybe just keep a log of activity, date, food, drink and any symptomps for a couple of weeks to see if there is a pattern. Good luck and keep us posted. I can imagine how frightening that is to you!!

Is she on any medications? You could look into potential side effects from that.
What about anxiety- has she had problems with it in the past or is she currently struggling with any skills? Is she having problems with teammates? Anxiety presents itself in some kids in a very physical way.
Food allergies or just food interactions could be part of the problem, perhaps something she is eating before practice doesn't sit well with the level of activity she is doing?
I would visit a doctor, one who actually listens to the situation and gives appropriate advice for your DD (and those are hard to find). Good luck and let us know how it goes.

(not a doctor yet, but have been to a lot of them):

-Is she just drinking water at practice? Screwy electrolytes can cause this (ask me how I know! Or don't. Let's just say just puking 4 times would have been nice).

-Have you been pushy with her doctor yet? My sister started getting migraines in elementary school & they were quite like that.

I hope you get an answer soon, vomit + headache = miserable.

I would make an appt with the Dr now and not wait. There are so many possibilities from dehydration and nutrition to migraines, blood flow or breathing problems, etc... If it was one 1 or 2 times, I would just monitor but this has been several episodes now.

Thanks everyone for the great responses! They sure got me thinking, and convinced me to take some action. I just called and made an doctor appointment for her next week to help try to figure this out.

Thanks everyone for the great responses! They sure got me thinking, and convinced me to take some action. I just called and made an doctor appointment for her next week to help try to figure this out.

Oh good! I hope you push for some answers--projectile vomiting that often is not normal.

Could be allergic to something that she has occasionally eaten from a friends snack? Allergies are tricky and affect each person differently.

Sounds similar to my daughter's migraines. You may want to start recording the dates on a calendar and noting what she eats on days she has the headaches. You may find the trigger while waiting to see the Dr.

Sounds similar to my daughter's migraines. You may want to start recording the dates on a calendar and noting what she eats on days she has the headaches. You may find the trigger while waiting to see the Dr.

This was my first thought.

Glad you made an appointment for her, strangers on the Internet handing out advice is not really safe.

I Hope you get answers soon.

Glad you made an appointment for her, strangers on the Internet handing out advice is not really safe.

Bog, almost all of us told her to discuss it with the Dr, which is sound advice, even from strangers. But sometimes it is helpful to hear experiences so you have an idea as to where to turn. Case in point - telling the Dr about the symptoms without any additional info likely will render a "wait and watch" approach. Adding a question such as "could it be migraines or a deficiency" indicates to the Dr that you want answers now and testing will more likely follow.

Gymgal I don't believe I said that nobody told the op to see a dr. As a mod or admin here we have an obligation to remind members that medical questions are not encouraged due to liability issues.

I see how you might not like what I posted, but it is what we have agreed to do.

Definitely a good idea to see the doctor and push for answers. Many things often have common symptoms, so it could be a multiple of things, but only a doctor will be able to narrow down. How old is your daughter though? I would get these same symptoms once a month after puberty. It would be sudden shakiness, feeling dizzy, nauseous, vomiting and then just want to rest. I could wake up from a hour nap afterwards and be fine.

Last edited:
Vomiting uncontrollably five times in a year would probably be enough for a visit to a doctor if you haven't gone already. I don't think this is normal regardless of her diet or sleep habits.

i concur 100%.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back