WAG I've been banned.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymettemom

Proud Parent
Well, DD has been in the gym for 4 years, competing for three of those 4 years. She is an 11 year old level 5 gymnast. Up until now she has always wanted me at the gym to watch and video new skills. Last night she finally told her daddy that having me there makes her nervous and she doesn't like me watching. She was afraid to tell me bc she didn't want to hurt my feelings. My feelings are certainly not hurt. I think it's rather funny that she has "banned" me.
Has anyone else experienced this with their gymmies as they got older.
I guess performances at meets will be a surprise now. It may be a new fun twist on watching her compete. I may see improvements that I normally wouldn't have seen because I won't see her working out everyday.

I would be so sad!!! I LOVE watching her, and don't get to that often because of running my other daughter around, ect. At this point she very much wants me there, but she's 7 (at least for the next 24 hours! :) ) so I am well aware that can change...good luck! I love that you're being such a good sport about it!

I'm expecting it at any moment and mine is 7! Lol. I seriously don't stay but once in a while (like once every 2-3 weeks) I try to come and just see how it's going. She wants me to video things and likes to watch them back later. I ask questions though after practice (because I'm trying to LEARN) and she doesn't like to teach me anything about gymnastics. So, any day now, I'm out, I just know it. I have to learn not to talk! Lol

Mine never cared (but I wasn't videoing there either--maybe that's embarrassing her?), but some of her teammates banned their parents.

I hate when my parents watch lol, but my new gym doesn't allow them to watch. Be happy your dd took the initiative to let you know how she feels! Don't take meets for granted, you will love watching her then!

That sounds perfectly normal for an 11 year old. Mine hasn't kicked me out yet, but I don't usually stay and watch anyway. Sometimes I show up early for pickup and watch for a bit. There are still times when she wants us to watch a new skill she just got.

I was banned this year too by DD - age 10 L8. But, when she gets a new skill she wants me come. I like having more time, and she likes to just tell me about the good parts of practice. I also had the issue of "missing it" but that feeling disappeared pretty quickly :) Happy to have time to do more stuff!

DH has always been banned. He's allowed to watch the end of practice if he's picking her up (she's 12), but he's banned from meets. Yup, he's never been to a meet. He is cool with it, as he would rather she do well, without worrying about being nervous because of him.

No, me, on the other hand, I'm allowed EVERYWHERE. Except for in front of the beam at meets - LOL!
All the parents know I'll be in the farthest area from the beam. Just this past weekend, one mom said "Oh I've got seats up front!" Another mom replied before I could "She's not allowed near the beam!"
it was pretty funny :)

Our gym has a policy against team parents watching. After a long summer and fall it's always so exciting to see the routines for the first time at the first meet!

DD banned me at age 11 - which was fine except there were iffy things going on coaching-wise that I was not aware of for almost a year...I hadn't watched more than 30 minutes a week the year before, and never took videos, etc, so a little different. I did get upset with her when she asked her brothers and I to leave the meet when she was warming up beam - as we had flown to Hawaii for her and that was over the top rude! She understands now, but at the time was so worried I'd be disappointed if she didn't do "well" ....(she rocked it - with us there).

I totally understand that at this age (sometimes younger, sometimes older - DS14 still wants me to watch because he gets a new skill practically every day this year) they need to be independent and DD tells me she wants gymnastics to be "hers" not mine. I do think its important for the kids to know we watch because we love them (and sometimes to make sure they are safe, with the right coaches, etc - but that is only in certain situations needed), not because we expect perfection - and for us to realize that our excitement over their little successes can be a huge pressure on them. I will probably keep watching about an hour a week (out of 20) this year just to make the oldest happy, keep the youngest in line, and help DD negotiate her odd situation of training without competing and getting to know new coaches, etc. I am also gun shy after what happened with her in L7 and working on trusting that the coaches have her best interest in mind...but I have learned to let go a bit.

Problem is, by the time the kids get this far in gym, most of the time, at least one parent really likes gymnastics -so we like to watch the other kids too, and I'm truely curious "what that drill was for" and "what the release move is called" and "why did you throw yourself over high bar like playing leap frog today...."....the older ones just look at me with irritation when I ask...but I DO pay the bills, and drive them everywhere, etc....so they don't get to be rude about it!

With 2 other kids, a home and a husband my 8 year old DD didn't have to ban me. She says she doesn't really care one way or the other but every now and then she'll ask me if I can "please stay for just one rotation" :)

No, me, on the other hand, I'm allowed EVERYWHERE. Except for in front of the beam at meets - LOL!
All the parents know I'll be in the farthest area from the beam. Just this past weekend, one mom said "Oh I've got seats up front!" Another mom replied before I could "She's not allowed near the beam!"
it was pretty funny :)

Yeah - we can't be in her line of sight for beam either. Doesn't mean I have to hide or anything....just not in the seats where when she is on beam she's looking right at us. If the beam is set up so that we are viewing it from the side, it isn't a problem.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back