WAG Jennifer Sey Leaves Levis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How so? She's a strong woman who stands up for her beliefs, even when they aren't popular. She walked away from a million dollars to be able to speak the truth. Great role model. Have you heard her speak? Read her book?

I read her book years ago and she is very well spoken in Athlete A and in interviews. I think she has done a good job advocating for safety in gymnastics. However, I have heard her twitter feed is pretty rough politically regarding covid policies, vaccines, etc. if you have been reading it for the past year (I have not). If you are so outspoken politically on social media that it's reflecting back on your employer and affecting their business, it becomes an issue. I am on the fence with this current iteration of her and I am not really impressed.

I read her book years ago and she is very well spoken in Athlete A and in interviews. I think she has done a good job advocating for safety in gymnastics. However, I have heard her twitter feed is pretty rough politically regarding covid policies, vaccines, etc. if you have been reading it for the past year (I have not). If you are so outspoken politically on social media that it's reflecting back on your employer and affecting their business, it becomes an issue. I am on the fence with this current iteration of her and I am not really impressed.

From her Twitter feed...

I don't want to live in a world where advocating for kids is a HR violation!

Her twitter feed is all about returning kids to normalcy (let them go to school w/o masks) & calling out the hypocrisy of adult gatherings w/o masks when kids have to wear them. She also speaks out about how wrong it is that there is a political "side" to advocating for kids in the first place & makes it clear she was never taking a political stance (proclaims herself a-left-of-center democrat, so her views are hers as a concerned mother, not representative of her political party). The real question is why would a company like Levis take a stance on whether or not kids should be masked in school? They are stepping way out of their business area in doing that & hopefully will lose customers because of it.

I love that she will not be silenced in her advocacy for children. We need more role models like her. I love that she comes from the world of gymnastics where speaking up has not been the norm for a very long time!

I saw this last week....lots of privilege in this one.

Anyways, what are you having for dinner tonight?

I find little in this current iteration of her being awesome. I have to agree with Nutter, comes off as a lot of privilege and arrogance.
So, she can stand up for what she believes on some things but not others? and having privilege means that your voice shouldn't count? Or that it only should count if you stand on the "correct" side? I'm confused.

From her Twitter feed...

I don't want to live in a world where advocating for kids is a HR violation!

Her twitter feed is all about returning kids to normalcy (let them go to school w/o masks) & calling out the hypocrisy of adult gatherings w/o masks when kids have to wear them. She also speaks out about how wrong it is that there is a political "side" to advocating for kids in the first place & makes it clear she was never taking a political stance (proclaims herself a-left-of-center democrat, so her views are hers as a concerned mother, not representative of her political party). The real question is why would a company like Levis take a stance on whether or not kids should be masked in school? They are stepping way out of their business area in doing that & hopefully will lose customers because of it.

I love that she will not be silenced in her advocacy for children. We need more role models like her. I love that she comes from the world of gymnastics where speaking up has not been the norm for a very long time!
@Lurker, scary that you laugh about adults standing up for children.

The point is, this is not about some morally correct stand that she is taking. It is out of context for her or others to claim she is "standing up for the children" an alternative viewpoint might say she is advocating harm for children, and both sides can spout equal numbers of facts in support. The discussion about masks and vaccines and children is mixed at best, definitive for masks and vaccines at worst for her. We are not talking about forced child labor or children being sold to sexual slavery here, something that is very clearly morally wrong. All this to say, she is/was willfully injecting herself in a strongly political topic as one of the higher faces of her employer. To go on and claim some righteous indignation about staring down some big bad corporation comes across as someone extremely arrogant and privileged.

The point is, this is not about some morally correct stand that she is taking. It is out of context for her or others to claim she is "standing up for the children" an alternative viewpoint might say she is advocating harm for children, and both sides can spout equal numbers of facts in support. The discussion about masks and vaccines and children is mixed at best, definitive for masks and vaccines at worst for her. We are not talking about forced child labor or children being sold to sexual slavery here, something that is very clearly morally wrong. All this to say, she is/was willfully injecting herself in a strongly political topic as one of the higher faces of her employer. To go on and claim some righteous indignation about staring down some big bad corporation comes across as someone extremely arrogant and privileged.

She's never touched the vaccine issue, just what she feels is hypocrisy when school kids are required to be in masks when adults often aren't. Many of us are glad she used her "privilege" to speak out. We should all have that privilege.

So, she can stand up for what she believes on some things but not others? and having privilege means that your voice shouldn't count? Or that it only should count if you stand on the "correct" side? I'm confused.

Meh, I was mostly taken by this bit here:

"I refused to stop talking. I kept calling out hypocritical and unproven policies, I met with the mayor’s office, and eventually uprooted my entire life in California—I’d lived there for over 30 years—and moved my family to Denver so that my kindergartner could finally experience real school. We were able to secure a spot for him in a dual-language immersion Spanish-English public school like the one he was supposed to be attending in San Francisco. "

I mean good for her for having a solution where her kid could go to 'real' school but this isn't feasible for most people. Moving half-way across the country so your kindergartner can go to school...that is privilege.

She and I are more aligned politically than not even if I don't agree with her thoughts on kids wearing masks. It's all just 'meh' for me.

Anyways, I had grocery store sushi for lunch.

"I refused to stop talking. I kept calling out hypocritical and unproven policies, I met with the mayor’s office, and eventually uprooted my entire life in California—I’d lived there for over 30 years—and moved my family to Denver so that my kindergartner could finally experience real school. We were able to secure a spot for him in a dual-language immersion Spanish-English public school like the one he was supposed to be attending in San Francisco. "

I mean good for her for having a solution where her kid could go to 'real' school but this isn't feasible for most people. Moving half-way across the country so your kindergartner can go to school...that is privilege.

She and I are more aligned politically than not even if I don't agree with her thoughts on kids wearing masks. It's all just 'meh' for me.
Weird, when something is just 'meh' for me, I scroll past. I've never felt the need to jump in on a discussion to report that I'm not interested in the discussion.

Weird, when something is just 'meh' for me, I scroll past. I've never felt the need to jump in on a discussion to report that I'm not interested in the discussion.

You posted it, presumably to get feedback. You didn't provide any context as to why the blogpost appealed to you. I had actually did see the blog post last week on Twitter and shared my thoughts on it here.

You really want to die on this hill don't you lol. The eye roll is for how folks have become so polarized and you either are on my side or the "other" side. There is never an in-between, a recognition that there are other valid opinions. Again, if you cant see that the stand she is taking is a political one versus a moral one then idk what to say. I don't mean to be rude and I don't think I have done anything but engage in conversation. My apologies if you consider otherwise.

You posted it, presumably to get feedback. You didn't provide any context as to why the blogpost appealed to you. I had actually did see the blog post last week on Twitter and shared my thoughts on it here.
I just find it amusing when someone makes so much effort to say they aren't interested in a topic, when clearly they are very interested.

And yet had she been on the other side - pushing mask mandates - no one would have batted an eye at her tweets/comments. That is a problem. While you may not agree, she was concerned enough for the students to speak out. You claim it's political but is it really? Having something become political usually is the result of one side trying to shut down the conversation. Unfortunately, is it a very useful tactic that both sides use all too often. Most people who are labeled anti mask/vax really are not. They are anti-mandate and there is a big difference between the two.

Anyways, I had grocery store sushi for lunch.
Ok, that makes more sense. Still don't agree that doing the best by your family is somehow wrong because it shows privilege but that's just my view.

and grocery store sushi? I'm not a sushi person but that doesn't seem like a wise choice at least not in my living area. do you have a really good grocery store?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back