WAG Judging level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have our first meet next week but I have heard the judging is harsh at this level and the coaches have prepared us for it by scoring the girls. So my question is what has changed at this level( besides the new routines ) what are they looking for that is not there? I've heard it's rare to score in the 9's.
What do you have to do to get the high nines? My daughters teammates some of them are just amazing and I can't imagine them finding deductions that would equal a score of 8.6 etc. but that's what they said those girls would score.

We have had 3 meets with L4 this fall. I think the judging is about the same as last year. Some are high, some low, some in between.

Our gym owner had told us they would be much lower this year for the reasons you suggested, but I just didn't see that. I would say the scores at the meets were on average about 8.7-9.2

We have been to 5 meets so far this season at level 4. Scoring has been pretty much as expected. It has become clear to me that the coaches seem to know what a child will score on a routine in a meet. My DD has been scoring pretty much exactly what they give her in practices. No big surprises yet.

DD just had her first L4 meet of the season. Judging in my area was the same was old L5 last year IMO- scores very similar to early L5 meets last year. The floor is "harder" in that the judges are being picky about feet, hands, positions- ballet "stuff" moreso than last year because- well the routines changed and that's now more of an emphasis.

Try not to focus on the scores and focus on the "big picture" instead. Is your DD progressing, improving, enjoying herself? It's a low level and a steppingstone- that's all. 9.6's and 9.8's at L4 should not a focus or that important-- if your kid can get 9.6's and 9.8's in Levels 8-10 now that's a BIG DEAL... at least to me. In my area 9.6's and 9.8's are a rarity- maybe you see one a session- maybe none.

The scoring seems overall lower for new L4. My DD had a great year at old L4 and is nowhere near that good this year. I've noticed a few other gymmies from other gyms who had amazing scores last year who are also having difficulties this year.

There has always been a difference in scores between old L4 and old L5. So that would seem about right between old L4 and new L4 as well.

I'm finding scoring of new L4 to be about the same as it was last year in old L5. I will say that the judges are still learning their way around the new routines, and the floor judges had "the book" out in front of them while judging a few routines. And one of the gymnasts skipped half the beam routine and still scored really well (judges didn't notice missing parts). I think there's a bit of a learning curve for all, but otherwise scores were as expected, or thereabouts. Around here, getting over a 9 at this level is not super-common, especially at the beginning of the season, and would certainly earn you a top spot on the podium.

Level 4 is the beginning of 'real' gymnastics. I think there will always be a dip in scores from level 3. There are a lot more skills so a lot more deductions to take.

As far as a judge missing part of the beam routine; if you miss the little dance parts it is only .10 each. If you miss skills then that is different.

This new set of compulsories is a little easier to express your personal style. And there are a lot of new general deductions that came from optionals. For instance last compulsories you could be off the music and only get .10 flat off and then maybe a little in artistry. Not many judges paid attention to artistry or some of the other general deductions in my opinion. This time it is up to .20 for not performing with the music. Also .10 flat for not ending with the music. And then there is artistry up to .30.

Mine competed old lvl 4 last year and had an amazing first year competing, placing in the top 3 AA in most meets and 1st AA at 2. This year is quite different. The scoring does seem tougher but so are the skills. Mostly is the bars that are holding her back because she doesn't have her kip quite yet and is muscling up at the end and has gotten in the 7's on that event so far. Just hoping she'll get her kip and it'll all come together. Hopefully sometime this season it'll come:).

Since we are on the subject of level 4 judging, I am curious about something. How much of a deduction is it if the kips are muscled up? Or do the judges not give any value at all to skill since the skill is not really being done?

Like a total stop and muscle up without really being on top of the bar first? I would take incomplete element up to .60, bent arms/legs each up to .30, body up to .20 and then there is rhythm and tautness. Those are the max. I would have to see it to know.

When my DD was muscling up her kip and not connecting cast, they scored her (coaches) at high 6's. Once she connected cast it was high 7's. legs were straight but not arms. Then with a proper cast but not right cast amplitude it was mid 8's. Now she is low 9's (9.2-9.3) with all elements "correct" but just not exceeding cast amplitude etc.

Yeah mine is getting low to mid 7's now without her kip and muscling up when she gets near the bar. The funny thing is that when her coach barely touches her in a spot she can do one but as soon as she does it alone, it seems like she panics and muscles up. She actually scored higher than two of her teammates that have their kips and it had me sorta scratching my head!?!

Yeah mine is getting low to mid 7's now without her kip and muscling up when she gets near the bar. The funny thing is that when her coach barely touches her in a spot she can do one but as soon as she does it alone, it seems like she panics and muscles up. She actually scored higher than two of her teammates that have their kips and it had me sorta scratching my head!?!

She must be tight on everything else?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back