Parents "Keep Your Eyes On the Beam!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Moxiegrl83

Proud Parent
So my little one just started competing, just turned 7 level 2, and is having a blast. She's placed every meet top 3 AA, and has no real idea what this means, just knows she's done well. But the little bugger cannot keep her eyes on what she's doing on any event! It's funny in some aspects, her coach said she had the judges cracking up on a couple events, because as she's running down the runway, she's watching her coach/judges/me depending where I'm sitting. She fell on beam because she was eyeballing her coach and judges, and this last meet on bars, I have video of her after every skill turning to look at the judges and her coach. She still got first on bars, but is this just something that will go away? Maturity?? I'm so happy with her progress and overall love of the sport, but there has been talk of blinders for her by the coaches :)

She'll grow out of it. Cherish those videos (my daughter stopped during her first beam routine and was watching the girl on floor for a few seconds! It's one of my favorite beam routines to watch, she got a 5 something. She was 6 and old level 4 and just so cute and happy to be there. ) and these days of meets being more fun than stressful, it changes all to quickly!

My favorite memory of my DD's first year of meets was how all of the girls had to be reminded to salute the judges. They were too eager to be off!

At this point, it's just the newness of being at a meet and trying to see everything all at once. You don't want to miss anything! Sadly, she will outgrow it. As she gets more used to the craziness of a meet, she will learn to focus on what's in front of her.

So get those videos and pictures while you can. They'll be memories that will make you smile in just a couple short years.

I definitely get doing it at meets some, but it's practices too...which is where the blunder talks come in. She really can't help herself though, which is why I'm glad to hear she'll outgrow it! Hopefully :)

Yep, both of my DDs used to do this as well!! They were very young 7 year olds doing the old 4 and just about every picture of them, they are looking dead at my camera. Down the vault runway, on the bars, prancing around the floor and on the beam! They are 9 now and have completely outgrown it! It's so cute though because they grow SO fast in this sport!!

I have a 7yo gymnast too. I think at this age they are always looking for approval which may be why she is always looking at you guys. My daughter is constantly looking at me or the coaches to make sure we are watching her.

Cherish those little moments! They go away so fast and then you have more stressful meets than fun ones! I remember my DD's first meet. I didn't video tape it but when she finished her first bar routine as a L3 she looked up at me and gave me a thumbs up before she even saluted to the judges! Soooo cute!! They just didn't know at that time what they were supposed to do!

Dd turns 8 next week. Last year as competing old Lvl 3 she looked for approval at everything. This year competing new Lvl 3 she is totally focused on what she is doing. Your DD will grow out of it

Little update: She had her State meet this past weekend, and got a 9.3, highest beam score yet, and only one (that I saw) look at the judges. No looks at all on bars and got 1 st with her highest bar score yet (9.6) Her coach said her rhythm is obviously better when she's not stopping to eyeball everyone! She was so cute and and it was a great way to end her first year competing.

I remember one of DDs friends asking the judge if he's done enough circles on mushroom at level 4 (age 7 I think...) . Judge smiled, answered and took small deduction. This was the coaches son....one more example of the fact that they are little kids still at this age. The intensity and focus grow with the kid, but I do miss those days!

I'm a bit jealous :) my DD just turned 7 two weeks ago and this was her first year competing (level 3). I thought, being so young, she would want to look to me for approval/comfort/security. But after her first couple of meets I came to the realization that this was not going to be the case. I don't think I could pay her to look at me, not just during, but even after her routines. Often times I just want to give her a big smile and thumbs up when she's done but she could really care less! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back