WAG Kip help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mommyo2az

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
hope I am posting in the right place! I have been lurking for months and finally need to come forward for some help!

My DD (8) has been "this close" to her kip for what seems like an eternity! I think her glide issues have been resolved and She is still "this close"!

Can I message someone video from today for some ideas? She is having problems with shifting her wrists and it looks like she is throwing her head back a bit. Feedback from coaches has been she is "so close". Would just like to offer up some different words or things for her to focus on!

Thanks

It took two years for Shawn Johnson to get her kip, that did not slow her down any.

My advice is to not get involved, because you verbally coaching from home can actually make it harder for her to get her kip. Just let the coaches coach.

It is a skill about timing and technique and many, many repetitions.

My oldest took about 18 months to get hers. Sometimes something just needs to click.

I know I know I know! Hard to watch them struggle and not help!

Lol, I probably need help more than she does!!!

MY DD was in stuck here for 6 months!! 99% there, but she would not stay UP!!!!!
Low and behold, one day when at a birthday party at a gym, and she was messing around on the bars, she just relaxed and did it and stayed up! From that moment on, she said she got it and she did......

Its in the past now. I feel your pain though, just hang in there and keep being positive!

My DD (8) has been "this close" to her kip for what seems like an eternity! I think her glide issues have been resolved and She is still "this close"!

...She is having problems with shifting her wrists and it looks like she is throwing her head back a bit. Feedback from coaches has been she is "so close".

Welcome :)

Our daughters are at the exact same point, same age, same issues!! We Mum's (I'm and Aussie ;)) want to help but it just has to come from them. Imagine all the life lessons she is getting - hard work, sticking with it, determination, and when she FINALLY achieves her goal .......the euphoria of doing so :D The kip is just plain HARD.

Best of luck to you both!

No advice either but my soon to be 10 yr old DD is in the same boat. She has been trying for a year and while she is "right there" it has not clicked with her on the timing. My now 8 yr old DD is probably closer to getting her Kip than my older... It has been the great battle in our house and the cause of many tears. I wish I could help but I can't.

Daughter worked on hers for months (maybe close to a year) before actually getting one. Still not consistent, although much better (after an additional 3 months of sporadic training, it was still meet season). Low bar kip is mostly consistent at this point but form still needs work. High bar not consistent yet. But with meet season over they are kicking up work on it.

Stay out of it and I mean that only in the nicest of ways.

As the parent of a now retired level 10 gymnast (she graduated), my advice to you and all parents is to stay out of it. Leave the coaching to the coaches. Please just concentrate on being her support system at home. I can't tell you how much things improve when we parents adopt this approach. It took us awhile (right around the Kip time) to realize that they will eventually "get it". The Kip is a gateway skill, just like giants, and sometimes it takes the brain longer to figure it out.

Good Luck.

Yes it is really true. There is an interview of Shawn on youtube where she says it too her "far too long...". At some point in that time frame it was revealed it was about two years.
Now I'm looking for that video. DD needs to see it. Not for the kip but for the message

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back