WAG KT Tape

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CAGymmie

Gymnast
I hurt my lower back about 3 weeks ago at gym and have already seen a doctor about it. I am not asking for medical advice. Has anyone used KT Tape before? Did you find it useful? Did it help? Here is the link to the website for those of you who don't know what it is: kttape.com

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
My physio has recently started using this in conjunction with athletic tape - depends what she's trying to do, she used this tape for my shoulder and a lower leg issue I have had and I found it good but I found it wasn't very sticky and came off easily.

I found it wasn't very sticky and came off easily.

"Hi-

Make sure the skin is clean and dry. No tension on the last inch or two on either side of the tape. Also, try spraying a little hairspray on the skin prior to application or switch to the pro version of the tape for added sticking power!

Steve B., AT"

This is from the website.

I have never applied it myself only my physio and I think it could be because I swear excessively (a lot more than average) and maybe I 'sweat' the tape off

My pt friends also say to swab the area with rubbing alcohol before applying it as well.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I have never applied it myself only my physio and I think it could be because I swear excessively (a lot more than average) and maybe I 'sweat' the tape off

Funny typo. You can buy products which stop you from sweating for about 5 days, probably not good to use all the time, but good for specific areas.

My daughter used it after her elbow injury. Definitely use alcohol swab to clean before and then let it dry completely. When we were using it there were two different strengths and the stronger stuff stayed on better.

I think it helped her a lot. She said that it made her feel more secure while practicing and it helped to keep her elbow rotating and bending in the correct way. It was also a good reminder for her when she was retraining her neurological system not to hyperextend.

I used it for some arm/elbow pain I had that was coming from shoulders and it felt much better while I was wearing it.

Overall I would recommend it. Make sure to have your PT show you how to put it on or carefully watch the how to videos. Applying it properly is very important.

and a professional should show you how it must be applied.:) you can't just put it on willy nilly.

We were introduced to it by dd's pt. Fab stuff. We have pink for practice and beige for comps (otherwise deductions). It really helped with her knee instability till the exercises kicked in.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

We have some experience with KT tape, too. I think it's usefulness depends on the part of the body it's used for, and if there is a way to wrap it so it assists the body part. For example, since it is easier to wrap around a limb joint, there is better chance of supporting that joint in a useful way. I tried it once on my SI joint (in the lower back, where the tailbone joins with the hip bone) and it just wasn't effective for me- perhaps it was an application error, but I really think it's because there is no way to get in there and support that joint.

My daughter uses KT tape for her foot arches during practice, which really helps keep plantar fascitis at bay. She uses the cotton-based KT tape (not the "pro", completely synthetic type). She finds the cotton-based tape to be more supportive of this particular part of her body. It also seems to stick better. She wears ankle braces over the tape, which keeps it on better, as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back