WAG L4 feedback please?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mobeans

Proud Parent
Are there any Level 4 judges who wouldn't mind taking a look at DD's videos for feedback? Of course she gets general feedback as a group from her coach but it's not her own specific deductions. TIA!

not a judge but a level 4 gymnat myself, who has talked to many judges, looked at the book, etc.
Obviously not as good as a judge but still willing :)

My DD has never once been given specific deduction feedback from a comp routine, and that's across multiple gyms.

I agree with this. My DD regularly has not gotten individual feedback regarding meet performance, particularly as a compulsory gymnast.

Mine actually has, but she has asked for it...so she knows certain things now and tells me, "Mom, that was a .2 deduction on this, or a .5 on that because I really blew it," blah blah blah. But the coaches used to not do it much...for some reason (that special red moon? lol) they have started telling the girls small things, and if asked, will give up the ghost, so to speak (it is afterall, almost Halloween bahaha). It has been VERY helpful to the girls, and particularly my nit picking dd!:D

We have a day where the coaches review what the judges are looking for.

I agree with this. My DD regularly has not gotten individual feedback regarding meet performance, particularly as a compulsory gymnast.
I am guessing they get feedback they just don't get into the specifics of deductions.

I am sure if they step their landings they have been told they need to stick them

I am sure they have been told those arms need to straight on their kips.

And they know what position their feet are supposed to be and what counts as a full turn etc....

We have a day where the coaches review what the judges are looking for.
Sorry posted to soon, the day is for us parents where they break down the routines and what is expected.

They also are told at their mock meet although that's between the coaches, gymmies and judges, not us parents.

They know, now how much they remember is a whole different thing.

DS's former coach took a judging course and got qualified to judge. He taught the boys how to judge routines and had them judge each other. By the end of the season, most of them could get within .3 to .5 of the score most of the time. DS is deeply immersed in the arcana of routine constructions and deductions for optionals at the moment. I keep up to the best of my ability and attention span.

My DD has never once been given specific deduction feedback from a comp routine, and that's across multiple gyms.

Okay but you guys realize that they are supposed to be doing the things they do a meet in practice. So it really should be no surprise if a tell a kid repeatedly they need locked arms on bars and this is resulting from a lack of attention to conditioning and drill stations (which I always make explicitly clear) and I tell them exactly how much deduction it is, do they really need specific deductions on their competition attempt? Do these coaches never tell kids what their deductions are in practice? (which boggles my mind). If they perform practice attempts of routines and get feedback, that is your answer. If your daughter has a specific goal she MUST tell and ask her coaches "did I straight my legs that time? Do I need to hold my handstand to score higher?" Etc. I don't think you need to get this information from random parents and level 4 gymnasts on a message board when I'm guessing her coaches would be willing to tell her.

Okay but you guys realize that they are supposed to be doing the things they do a meet in practice. So it really should be no surprise if a tell a kid repeatedly they need locked arms on bars and this is resulting from a lack of attention to conditioning and drill stations (which I always make explicitly clear) and I tell them exactly how much deduction it is, do they really need specific deductions on their competition attempt? Do these coaches never tell kids what their deductions are in practice? (which boggles my mind). If they perform practice attempts of routines and get feedback, that is your answer. If your daughter has a specific goal she MUST tell and ask her coaches "did I straight my legs that time? Do I need to hold my handstand to score higher?" Etc.

This is one of the things I do for our team. HC and I are the ones that have the deductions in our head at all times. One coach tells girls that "that is a 30¢ deduction" because they understand money... but she says it about everything.

I watch the routines and tell them 1 - what they can fix easily and 2 - what their big deductions are. While they work on cleaning up the big things, they can focus on getting back the tenths they are losing on the little things.

Her coaches never give her individual feedback? I'm not sure about that.
What I mean is it is such a HUGE group so she isn't get ALL her individual little nitpicky deductions-no time for that. The big stuff that they all need to work on, yes.

Okay but you guys realize that they are supposed to be doing the things they do a meet in practice. So it really should be no surprise if a tell a kid repeatedly they need locked arms on bars and this is resulting from a lack of attention to conditioning and drill stations (which I always make explicitly clear) and I tell them exactly how much deduction it is, do they really need specific deductions on their competition attempt? Do these coaches never tell kids what their deductions are in practice? (which boggles my mind). If they perform practice attempts of routines and get feedback, that is your answer. If your daughter has a specific goal she MUST tell and ask her coaches "did I straight my legs that time? Do I need to hold my handstand to score higher?" Etc. I don't think you need to get this information from random parents and level 4 gymnasts on a message board when I'm guessing her coaches would be willing to tell her.

Our coaches are wonderful and do give feedback on deductions on bars and vault.

When it comes to floor and beam, however, there are just so many little elements to the routine that it would be next to impossible for our coaches to take the time to go over the routine in detail individually. They do get to run their routines in practice and have the coach give feedback every now and then. From that they will often work on whatever needed work the most as a group.

I do understand what you are saying about having the child ask the coach for feedback, and I've suggested that to her but she feels embarassed to do so (she is still young). I do remind her that that is what her coaches are for and that is the best way to learn.

In regards to video feedback I didn't ask for random parent feedback....I can do that myself! I asked for Level 4 judges. I did this here last year when she was L3 and it was helpful and DD's scores improved a lot from there. I am only inquiring out of curiosity myself and for those little tiny things DD can work on when running her floor at home (minus tumbling of course!)

Our girls really don't get much feedback at meets. They get a lot of very specific feedback in practice, especially when they are in the two weeks out from a meet and they're running routines. It's just how practice runs before a meet -- a girl does her routine and then the coach talks with her for a couple of minutes afterward about what is good and what should be improved, especially if there's a risk of losing credit for something. If some element has gone badly wrong, the coach will usually tell the girl to work on that problem part and take a look at it again before the rotation ends. The boys do it the same way. I can't see why, if it's possible for our coaches to do that with optional routines, which are all different, it would be impossible to do it with compulsory routines.

Personally, I believe that a meet is not the best time for a detailed routine critique, though this is how the boys' side does it sometimes.

To the best of my knowledge, DD's coaches do not give specific feedback for meet routines. They are generally pretty busy during meets and I would imagine it to be difficult for them to remember specific deductions (except maybe big things) on each girl after the meet. They definitely get individual feedback on routines during practice.

I suppose that DD could take a video of a routine and ask her coach where the deductions were. But, she seems to have a pretty good handle on the areas with deductions, even if she doesn't know whether some thing is a .1 or .3 or other specific deduction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back