WAG L4 feedback please?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If my DD makes an uncharacteristic mistake at a meet, or loses a new correction she's recently made, coaches will correct at a meet, to a point (via quick conference on the floor).

Coaches just had the girls write down meet one meet goals for each event for the first time, and I was surprised how specific my DD was. For example: Floor: don't separate legs on FHS; Beam: hit 180 degrees on split jump (I don't think that's required (??), but DD is capable of it and knows she'll need that later).

So, while I don't hear of her being told her deductions, she clearly knows where she needs to focus re:corrections, regardless if they're specific to just level 4 or as progressions.

Okay but you guys realize that they are supposed to be doing the things they do a meet in practice. So it really should be no surprise if a tell a kid repeatedly they need locked arms on bars and this is resulting from a lack of attention to conditioning and drill stations (which I always make explicitly clear) and I tell them exactly how much deduction it is, do they really need specific deductions on their competition attempt? Do these coaches never tell kids what their deductions are in practice? (which boggles my mind). If they perform practice attempts of routines and get feedback, that is your answer. If your daughter has a specific goal she MUST tell and ask her coaches "did I straight my legs that time? Do I need to hold my handstand to score higher?" Etc. I don't think you need to get this information from random parents and level 4 gymnasts on a message board when I'm guessing her coaches would be willing to tell her.

I may be in the minority (I kinda hope I am), but we have left meets and my DDs coach has clearly stated she had no idea why my DD received the score she did. It happened with other girls on the team also. In practice at that gym it was mostly just, "do it again, do it better", but without specific corrections in general. No, it's not surprising that the girls didn't generally do very well at all. I shared my DDs floor routine last season after the coach shrugged and gave my DD some clear corrections that were passed to me, and her score went up immediately. There seems to be the assumption here that everyone is a good coach, but that's unfortunately not the case. Her coach didn't mind outside help though. She was actually excited that I got other coaches/judges to look and later encouraged another girl to use the paid judging site for her floor routine.

I may be in the minority (I kinda hope I am), but we have left meets and my DDs coach has clearly stated she had no idea why my DD received the score she did. It happened with other girls on the team also. In practice at that gym it was mostly just, "do it again, do it better", but without specific corrections in general. No, it's not surprising that the girls didn't generally do very well at all. I shared my DDs floor routine last season after the coach shrugged and gave my DD some clear corrections that were passed to me, and her score went up immediately. There seems to be the assumption here that everyone is a good coach, but that's unfortunately not the case. Her coach didn't mind outside help though. She was actually excited that I got other coaches/judges to look and later encouraged another girl to use the paid judging site for her floor routine.
Every coach has and continues to experience that particularly on vault!

Every coach has and continues to experience that particularly on vault!

+1 although floor should be pretty straight forward, don't bend arms and legs, amplitude on everything, feet on everything, don't put in things that don't need to be there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back