WAG L5 beam options

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sminty

Proud Parent
We were at a meet recently where one of the girls did a back extension roll on beam instead of a BWO or BHS. I'd never seen this before so was kind of curious why you don't see it more often. Is it considered more difficult to learn? Would it meet the requirements for L6?

I've never seen it competed in person but yes it can be done. I think most don't teach it b/c it may not be as progressive. However it's definitely an option and it's also allowable in L6. Even more acro options for L6, you can do CW, RO, FWO, FHS, forward/backward rolls or even a handstand held for two seconds I believe. So far I've only seen back walkovers and Back handsprings with a few cartwheels thrown in here and there.

My DD started training them due to a fear of bwo but it hurts to do... Which the coaches knew. Was all part of the strategy. Ha ha. She did end up getting her bwo (and since has lost it again) but it definitely is an option. Apparently hard to stay straight doing it also thus making it hard to land

DDs have a L7 teammate that does back extension roll-BHS as her series due to a previous back injury. My gymmies say it is really hard to do!

Reactions: sce
i would think for back injuries a back ext roll like that would hurt worse??? for our level 5 mobility meet only BWO or BHS were allowed i don't think our gym teaches it either.

They are hard, but they are an option for those kids who struggle to arch back on the beam, or those who might have back or shoulder flexibility issues making the Bwo or BHS unsafe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back