L8 (USAG) bars options?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mack_the_Ripper

So, I'm thinking ahead to my last year in gymnastics. I know I need either a pirouette or a release for level 8 bars, and my handstands are spotty so I think a release is the more likely option. So these are my questions:
-I can't do any C releases at level 8, right?
-I've been working a bit on straddle back drills to a mat. Right now, they're often to handstand, and a straddle back to handstand is a C. I assume it won't be as good when I put it on the regular bar setting, but what happens if I do a straddle back handstand at level 8? Will I get no credit?
-I've also been doing drills for toe-on hecht transitions. My coach wants me to put this on the bar sometime soon. What's the value for this in JO?

So, I'm thinking ahead to my last year in gymnastics. I know I need either a pirouette or a release for level 8 bars, and my handstands are spotty so I think a release is the more likely option. So these are my questions:

Um..... what are your questions?

Sorry, I accidentally posted before I was done writing. I've gone back and edited it.

-I can't do any C releases at level 8, right?

Correct

-I've been working a bit on straddle back drills to a mat. Right now, they're often to handstand, and a straddle back to handstand is a C. I assume it won't be as good when I put it on the regular bar setting, but what happens if I do a straddle back handstand at level 8? Will I get no credit?

If I recall correctly, it's a 2.0 deduction for doing too hard a skill. Shouldn't be too hard to get it lower, though, if you have to -- a slightly earlier release and/or a slight push downward on the bar when you release should do the trick.

-I've also been doing drills for toe-on hecht transitions. My coach wants me to put this on the bar sometime soon. What's the value for this in JO?

It's a C.

You sure you wanna make this your last year in gymnastics? Sounds like you're working on some pretty good skills for level 9 there.

If you compete a C release at Level 8 you will receive a .5 deduction from your SV for an unallowable element. (It used to be a 2.0, but was changed when they disallowed Cs at L8.) You will also not receive credit for the skill, so if it is your only turn or flight you will also lose the Special Requirement, which will result in another .5 deduction from the SV. AND - if it was one of your 4 B skills then you will receive an additional .3 off your . All things added up, it potentially can lose you 1.3 from your SV.

But it has to hit within the 10 degree cone to be considered a handstand and in this instance, judges will always (well...the normal, rational, sane ones) error on the side of the gymnast. The only time I've ever taken that on a SB to handstand is when the kid hit the handstand and held the handstand for a few seconds while she wobbled around in an arch trying not to fall back the other way...no way around that one:)

You sure you wanna make this your last year in gymnastics? Sounds like you're working on some pretty good skills for level 9 there.

Well, I graduate next year, but if I have an opportunity to continue I will.

Thanks to all for the information. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it - obviously I need to get a beam acro and other skills before I can start thinking seriously about level 8.

Gympanda--my gymmie had 1.0 in deductions at 2 different meets in L8 for hitting the hs in her bail(aks shootover). She was probably in the hs for maybe less than 1 second---wish you had been judging. I have to say, they did look nice, but killed her score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back