WAG L9 Bar Releases

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
DD was just told by her coach that her goal sheet had to have a bar release move (I guess it becomes a priority from a training perspective if it's on the goal sheet). DD said that she needs a"transitional" release and it has to go from the high bar to the low bar (not vice versa) for level 9. Is that correct? I think 2 bar changes are required and one release move, but I never realized the release had to go from high to low. That may just be a gym requirement.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best bar release for a gymnast with tight shoulders? DD said that a lot of the releases are challenging because they require open shoulders. She's a decent bar swinger (L8 routine with DB is set except for cleanup), but has fairly poor shoulder flexibility. Any suggestions for her to focus on? The gym generally trains shootovers, straddlebacks, or pak saltos for rising L9s, but I know the current 9s/10s are working other releases (don't know names) so I think she has a lot of options.

I think pirouette on high bar then overshoot (not sure if that's the right term for that move) to low bar ? I'm sure more experienced posters will help. We are new to L9 too and all I can say is wow lol.

My DD has tight shoulders also. She does a bail from high to low. She said that it's a higher value if it hits handstand which may be more difficult. Your DD wouldn't have to go to handstand with a pak but allegedly they are harder to learn.

All the level 9s at my gym are doing bails (also called shoot-overs), including myself. The skill is C level, and if it goes from a handstand to a handstand its D level, which is needed for level 10.

I have the tightest shoulders ever! My coaches always bugged me about it but even if I stretched them they would still be really right! Anyway I did Higgins to straddle back handstand and I think that was .2 bonus? My Higgins would have been better if I didn't have right shoulders but it was still decent. I think a plain straddle back would be fine for tight shoulders and bailes too maybe. Good luck! I know how hard it is to have tight shoulders!

You have to go from the high bar to the low bar to have two bar changes. So yes. Generally a shootover or a straddle back is used in level 9, and less often a pak salto (usually requires not having flyaway issues).

Can she not do a correct handstand? I don't think shoulder flexibility should be limiting her that much unless it's literally that extreme. The ones that would require the least in terms of hitting a straight body handstand would be a pak/peach salto.

You have to go from the high bar to the low bar to have two bar changes. So yes. Generally a shootover or a straddle back is used in level 9, and less often a pak salto (usually requires not having flyaway issues).

Can she not do a correct handstand? I don't think shoulder flexibility should be limiting her that much unless it's literally that extreme. The ones that would require the least in terms of hitting a straight body handstand would be a pak/peach salto.

Cast handstand? They're pretty good - head in, straight, generally tight (most of the time anyways). DD says she has a hard time reaching the low bar when they do release drills. She blames it on her shoulder flexibility, but I wonder if she just needs more of tap/swing (I've never seen her do them). Just know she'll be doing them more now.

Thanks as always for your thoughts!

I think what they meant was to get a 10.0 start value. Level 10's start at a 9.5 and get bonus for connections and difficulty. So to get a decent start value they're going to need it.

I realized that's more than likely what they meant. But I didn't want other people who didn't know that to think they absolutely needed a D. Sure, it's definitely good to have to raise the SV.

Cast handstand? They're pretty good - head in, straight, generally tight (most of the time anyways). DD says she has a hard time reaching the low bar when they do release drills. She blames it on her shoulder flexibility, but I wonder if she just needs more of tap/swing (I've never seen her do them). Just know she'll be doing them more now.

Thanks as always for your thoughts!

Oh, she means when she releases the bar? Well the ability to press the shoulders straight is always helpful on bars, but I don't really think her shoulder flexibility is going to be that limiting if she can make a straight handstand...she really doesn't need to go beyond that. It is normal in the early stages to have trouble timing the release of the bar to go in the right direction, also they are usually doing drills from swings or a baby cast, not putting as much force into their swing as they eventually will.

Her shoulders can't be too bad if she is a level 9. The only thing I could think of that she might struggle with would be a reverse Hecht (tkachev), but there are so many other choices out there, I'm sure her coaches will match her with the appropriate skill. Let us know what they choose.

Her shoulders can't be too bad if she is a level 9. The only thing I could think of that she might struggle with would be a reverse Hecht (tkachev), but there are so many other choices out there, I'm sure her coaches will match her with the appropriate skill. Let us know what they choose.

She's a level 8 currently - they want her uptraining bars for L9 now and she needs a release move (she already has the DB dismount and will be competing it this year). Her shoulder flexibility is at best "okay" though. Her coaches have told her she probably has the worst shoulder flexibility on the entire team (which is probably true for optionals but I find it a little hard to believe all the way down to pre-team). They've also told her she's probably the strongest so that's the trade-off she brings to the gym.

Unfortunately, the coaches told her the shoulder flexibility will make releases challenging, so it's in her head that she may not be able to do it. It's been nice to hear from gymnasts with similar shoulder challenges to let her know she can still get it.

She's a level 8 currently - they want her uptraining bars for L9 now and she needs a release move (she already has the DB dismount and will be competing it this year). Her shoulder flexibility is at best "okay" though. Her coaches have told her she probably has the worst shoulder flexibility on the entire team (which is probably true for optionals but I find it a little hard to believe all the way down to pre-team). They've also told her she's probably the strongest so that's the trade-off she brings to the gym.

Unfortunately, the coaches told her the shoulder flexibility will make releases challenging, so it's in her head that she may not be able to do it. It's been nice to hear from gymnasts with similar shoulder challenges to let her know she can still get it.

unfortunately is correct. you don't need shoulder flexibility to do things like Geingers and Deltchevs. gymnastics has something for everyone. even those with deficits. so, maybe by time she gets to that point, the coaches will have learned how to teach these things...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back