"Late" starter at 7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,

DD just started gymnastics in late August 2011 and is already on pre-team (Level 3). Her coach has said she is extremely talented (nothing to do with me or DH as she is adopted) and keeps saying, "Too bad I didn't get her six months ago because she would be competing." DD apparently already is able to do the Level 4 requirements. I have a couple of questions, as someone who knows almost nothing about gymnastics but is trying to learn fast.

The first is: What else should I be doing for her, if anything? Pre-team meets two hours two days a week and she is having one hour a week of private coaching. Her gym trains up through Elite so I think it's a decent gym.

The second is: I feel so guilty for starting her "late," based on the feedback I keep getting from the coaches. Have I already limited DDs potential in gymnastics? I know that many girls start very young as toddlers and preschoolers but is it possible to start at 7 and still have a reasonable "career" or trajectory of success in this sport?

Thanks so much in advance for your replies.
Elizabeth

Hi, Welcome to CB.

To answer your questions:

(1) you are already doing what your daughter needs by taking her to and from gym. The rest of it will fall into place.

As far as being a "late" starter, My daughter was 8.5 yrs old the 1st time she ever stepped foot into a gym. She is now 13 yrs old (7th grade) and is competing Level 8. Her late start really didn't affect her path at all.

Don't feel guilty about not putting her in gym sooner. She will move along at her own pace, that would've been the case whether she started at 4 or 7.

Enjoy the journey :)

Tracy

First, welcome to the chalk bucket

Second, let her pave the way, if she wants to go far she will push for it

third, starting late isn't a huge deal sometimes its even better like for me, when I was little i did gym and was alright but didn't advance past level 2 I had to give it up for several years and then started doing it again when I was 15 and having that extra body awareness just helped me a little bit extra. I managed to get to level six in 2 years of gym, something i am sure would have taken me about 7 if I worked from when I was younger. This is not saying pull your daughter out and put her back in when she is 15 I am saying that the extra body awareness you have at 7 compared to 5 is significant and that can often help with learning progressions faster. Don't feel bad about starting her late, 7 is just the beginning. Also, don't focus on career as such, focus on having fun and improving at her own pace.

Hi everyone,

DD just started gymnastics in late August 2011 and is already on pre-team (Level 3). Her coach has said she is extremely talented (nothing to do with me or DH as she is adopted) and keeps saying, "Too bad I didn't get her six months ago because she would be competing." DD apparently already is able to do the Level 4 requirements. I have a couple of questions, as someone who knows almost nothing about gymnastics but is trying to learn fast.

What else should I be doing for her, if anything? Pre-team meets two hours two days a week and she is having one hour a week of private coaching. Her gym trains up through Elite so I think it's a decent gym.

The second is: I feel so guilty for starting her "late," based on the feedback I keep getting from the coaches. Have I already limited DDs potential in gymnastics? I know that many girls start very young as toddlers and preschoolers but is it possible to start at 7 and still have a reasonable "career" or trajectory of success in this sport?

Thanks so much in advance for your replies.
Elizabeth

hello there and welcome to CB.The first is:

1. she's not to old starting at 7. whoever told you that is full of crap, or themselves or both.

2. tell them to stop saying that crap which makes you guilty and coach your daughter.

3. you say her gym trains up through elite. exactly who have they trained to the elite level? anyone who has would NEVER say your daughter started late at 7. tell that to shannon miller's parents and about 1948543830458576 other kids in this country.

4. geesh...

Like the others have said, 7 isn't really late. I think (hope?) that your coach just means that if he'd gotten her 6 months earlier she would have her routines down and her skills competition ready in time for this year's season, not really that she'd actually started too late.

There are plenty of examples of girls who made it far in this sport having started at 7 or 8. If your daughter is naturally talented she should have no problem. Don't stress it!

Oh for god sake it drives me crazy when I read this. Some gyms think 6 is over the hill to start but I've seen girls start at 10, 11, 12 and up and still do very well. she is far from too late and still can compete - maybe not at the gym you are at because they have their own rules on age that has nothing to do with USAG. Check around if she would like to compete I bet there is a gym out there that would be glad to have her compete.

I;ve seen 14 yo at L4 just starting out.

Your dd is definitely not too old. Don't be influenced or feel guilty. In fact, she may be such a quick learner because she is 7 and able to pick up the skills and make corrections quicker than the younger girls in her group. She also may be more motivated because she genuinely enjoys the sport and isn't in it just because her mom signed her up. Maturity is definitely a plus in gymnastics.

Thank you

Thanks so much for the welcome, the reassurance, and the reality check : ) I was having the same reaction to the "late" concept for a seven-year-old but now that I've heard those comments several times in a row from the coach, I got sucked into the guilt. Aye yay yay.

I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to sticking around and learning more!

I definitely wouldn't say a 7 year old is a late starter. I actually prefer teaching 7 year olds basics over 4/5 year olds because usually their attention span is longer and they are willing to listen. Your main job at this point is supporting your daughter, and it seems like you're doing a good job. Trust the coaches to do their job, but don't be afraid to set up a conference with her coach if you have questions. Encourage her to have fun (and listen to her coaches)!

My gymmie did some rec classes, but did not start a pre-team program until age 7 and began competing L5 at age 9. She has continued to move up the levels and is now at L9. Don't listen to downer coaches who talk about having had her at a younger age. Also don't let them rush her just to get her "on team." She needs to learn the basics before being raced to do competitions.

Look on the other side--maybe the coach just meant if you daughter had started 6 mos ago, they could compete her NOW, rather than having to wait (because she started close to competition season, not because she's old).

Obviously 7 yr isn't late! We had girls start at 12 yrs, make Optionals very quickly and now competing with colleges.

Your job is to support her--I don't think you need to be doing anything else :).

Just wanted to say that my daughter was 7 when she started (almost 8) and I think it was SO much better. Some of the girls I see who have been doing gymnastics since they were tiny seem almost bored with it sometimes. Also she will progress more quickly too if she is naturally talented. My daughter is now a level 5 and with several girls who have been doing gymnastics since they were 3 or 4! Good luck to your daughter!!!:)

According to her wiki entry Beth tweddle started gymnastics at 7 :)

I think Alicia sacramone was a fairly late starter too, although she had a dance background.

And Diane dos santos started at something like 11.

So not too late at all.

I agree with GymMomToo. I wonder if the coach meant she could compete this season not next if she would have started earlier.

7 is not too late at all. My DD started early but she didnt really "get" the concepts until 7 or 8 of how to keep her body tight. She was also a Terrible listener until she was about 9! She couldnt stand still in line to save her poor little soul!
Luckily her coaches understood her..and gave her lots of extra stuff to keep her busy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back