Anon Latest age to start elite gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (543b)

Random question: is it possible to start gymnastics at a later age (like 10-12 years old) and still have a very successful gymnastics career (talking about elite gymnastics)? On a similar note, do you have to do Jr. Elite to be a successful Sr. Elite?

I think it is possible, but highly unlikely - you will need a lot of natural talent, and even more dedication/work ethic. As well as the luck to not get injured and be able to handle high training hours.

Curious about coaches/parents perspectives.

I have been coaching for a long time and yes, I do think it’s possible but very dependent on the situation.

You would need a lot of talent and natural ability, but, then again to make elite regardless of the age you start you need a lot of talent and natural ability.

What you did before gymnastics will also play a role. Generally the best window for developing flexibility is 6-11 years of age. After puberty muscles become stronger and more solidified to bones and it’s much harder to develop flexibility. But if that flexibility had already been developed, say from dance or something similar it could work.

Toe point is also better developed in your children. The bones in the foot are softer and the point shape can be developed with slow and steady practice. If it’s not there by the time the bones start to really ossify then it may never develop. But it could have been developed already, say through ballet.

It can be easier to develop bigger tumbling skills when you are small, your centre of gravity is lower, you dont need as much strength and power to get your body around, you are easier to spot etc

Time is also a factor, it takes many hours in the gym to develop elite skills. When you have had less years in the gym, and are busy with high school life and beyond it’s harder.

Plus few coaches will take you.

But having said that I have seen it happen. Started gymnastics at 10, trained recreationally once a week until age 12. At age 12 took it seriously and was Elite in a few years. By 15 was ready to compete Senior International. But that is in Australia and the standard is not as high as the US.

Also the ages of 11-15 are very fragile for many girls, rapid growth and change can make them very prone to injury. Throwing them into elite gymnastics training without years or training behind them probably isn’t the greatest thing to do to their body.

But it is also my belief that you can take up gymnastics as an adult and make elite if you have the right body type, the time to train and you have had a chance to develop the crucial body preparations through other activities when you are younger.

Jade Carey never did Jr. Elite and has certainly been a successful Sr. Elite, so yes it's possible.

These are the late starters that come to mind.

Ludivine Furnon - Started at 11
Krista Jasper - Almost 10
Laney Madsen - 11? - 13? when she started training seriously along side her cheerleading

I think with the direction the sport is going we might have more of these cases in future with the average elite age trending older and this being far more accepted along with 'older' athletes showing us just how amazing they can be.

Possible but unusual for sure. I believe there was a French gymnast awhile back sho didn't start until about that age.

Jade Carey never did junior elite. She went from level 10 to world medalist in the same year (2017). She is of course the exception, not the rule.

Possible, sure, anything is possible. Probability of success, very low. I think Aly Raisman made her jr elite debut at like 12 I think she is the oldest one I can recall. As mentioned by Aussie, its not just natural ability and desire. There are plenty other factors that are critical. The right gym, a training center with the right coaches that are willing to put in the effort and have the experience of elite training/competition. Of course $$ too. As well as the staying healthy ramping up those big skills.

But literally starting cold turkey gymnastics at age 10 and making it to elite? No way. Not in the US. Possibly if was a competitive athlete in another sport and then picked up gymnastics.

Diane Dos Santos also made it to elite after starting at 11.. could be possible but all factors have to fall in your favour for that + everything said above
And as she's not currently as well known as some of the other athletes named, she was the 2003 world champion on floor. She saw both domestic and international success

Jade Carey started gymnastics as a preschooler and turned elite at 16. She was always on the elite path, her father just chose to pace her career a little differently from most. This isn’t a late-starter story.
The second part of the question was if it was possible to be a successful senior elite without doing junior elite. Jade did this. I said nothing about her starting gymnastics late.

Possible, sure, anything is possible. Probability of success, very low. I think Aly Raisman made her jr elite debut at like 12 I think she is the oldest one I can recall. As mentioned by Aussie, its not just natural ability and desire. There are plenty other factors that are critical. The right gym, a training center with the right coaches that are willing to put in the effort and have the experience of elite training/competition. Of course $$ too. As well as the staying healthy ramping up those big skills.

But literally starting cold turkey gymnastics at age 10 and making it to elite? No way. Not in the US. Possibly if was a competitive athlete in another sport and then picked up gymnastics.
I'm confused by your comment. Maybe I am misreading it... But if Aly made her Jr. Elite debut at 12 how is she the oldest when the Jr. Elite division starts at 12 years old?

Spinoff to this question. When does elite training typically start? TOPs, HOPES, earlier?

Spinoff to this question. When does elite training typically start? TOPs, HOPES, earlier?
It really depends on the gym/path of the athlete. The earliest would be 7-8 if doing TOPs. If HOPEs/Jr. Elite is the goal, then it would make sense to try to get the gymnast to Level 9 by 10/11, Level 10 by 11/12. In my experience, gymnasts that have elite qualities are usually noticed pretty quickly, and then it is up to the coaches (with some level of parent involvement, of course) to come up with a plan for the gymnast to get to elite. Some choose to go the route with TOPs and HOPEs, others choose not to do either of those programs and instead do 'training elite'. Both ways can be successful. For example, GAGE does not do TOPs. It depends on the athlete. The goal is for them to have a successful career while still being healthy and not burned out. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to the elite track.

Realistically with the current elite artistry requirements - Correct posture and carriage needs to be developed early. Currently there seems to be a lot of talented athletes who rose through 'first time' elite gyms who basically have a lot of built in deductions just in how they stand and move. There are athletes with poorly built muscle bulk that seems to negatively affect their ability to show flexibility.

Hopefully those athletes are talented enough to entirely change the way they move working with the direction of national team staff and their coaches.

This is not to say JO focused gym's don't teach this well - many do and have athletes that are enjoyable to watch beyond the skills.

Realistically with the current elite artistry requirements - Correct posture and carriage needs to be developed early. Currently there seems to be a lot of talented athletes who rose through 'first time' elite gyms who basically have a lot of built in deductions just in how they stand and move. There are athletes with poorly built muscle bulk that seems to negatively affect their ability to show flexibility.

Hopefully those athletes are talented enough to entirely change the way they move working with the direction of national team staff and their coaches.

This is not to say JO focused gym's don't teach this well - many do and have athletes that are enjoyable to watch beyond the skills.
That's why most established elite gyms usually have a in-house dance room and train ballet once a week. It is very beneficial for toe point, leaps, turns and artistry. Most also do artistry training in the floor and beam.

Some gyms choose to push difficulty over execution, which leaves the less-flexible gymnasts with big executions for leg separation, not hitting 180 split, etc. The small details matter a lot.

Jade Carey never did Jr. Elite and has certainly been a successful Sr. Elite, so yes it's possible.
She also had a Dad as a gymnastic coach, which probably made it much easier. (Unlimited fee private coaching sessions and a truly caring and invested coach 24/7… yeah somewhat of an advantage.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back