layed out full twist drills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know any layed out full twist drills?
I had mine then I quit for 6 months & now I need it again and I started twisting the opposite way. So I'm scared. Any help?

how are you aware that you are now twisting the opposite way than before?

try twisting in both directions in succession, like 5 to the left and then 5 to the right. over and over. see if you are able to restablish what you are doing, if one direction feels more natural than the other, etc; and be patient...it might take a few days of experimenting.

try twisting in both directions in succession, like 5 to the left and then 5 to the right. over and over. see if you are able to restablish what you are doing, if one direction feels more natural than the other, etc; and be patient...it might take a few days of experimenting.

hi bog and jbw, if you read this, i did not type "what" twice. when i look at it as the post you can see 2 "what" 's
when i try to edit and delete i can do this. when i hit save there are 2 of them again.

and as i'm looking at it right now replying to my own quote i can only see 1 "what". i'm sure when i hit 'post' it will show 2 "what" 's once again. here goes...

p.s.: i was wrong...but you can see that their different.

If you are referring to back twisting then there aren't many drills. However one good one is doing layout 3/4 to stomach or more correctly a prone support onto a stack of mats (about and then roll to the right. To establish the arm position for the twist, and also for late timing to do the half. Once you have established that you can incline the mats a little and do the same drill but perform the 1/2 twist to land on back down the incline Once this is comfortable you can take either progress to doing the 1/2 to your back and roll to complete the full or your can just go onto doing the doing the full, and progress from there.

If you are talking about front twisting, you can do the same drill but onto a lower stack of mats (that also depends on how you going to do into it).

The assumption with these drills is that the technique of the layout is not the biggest concern.
Hope that helps, just one more not the is that for front twisting if you twist to the right to you need to initiate the twist by dropping the left arms first, then right. On back twisting if you twist to the right, you drop the right arm first.. Its a bit weird but it is the way it is. So just make sure your are not getting arm confusion in your twisting, or another way to put it be aware of which arm you are dropping first to generate the twist.

does anyone know how to take the pike out at the end? our level 7's are doing beautiful fulls but have an awful pike at the end. we just cant seem to get rid of it...

weak lay outs. and most likely slightly piked down when they punch the floor on take off. work lay outs uphill.

great, thanks!! we'll work on that when we get some free time in practice^^

You don't need to get free time in practice to do this, just set it up as a corner tumble pass that girls waiting can do. Especially during the season, you need to be doing something to improve those skills, aside from the consistency.
Aside from what dunno mentioned, it is important that you emphasize that as they finish the full they continue pressing their hips open and lift their chests up out of skill, instead of just looking down at the ground (spotting the landing).

when i said free time i mean when i get some free time to work with these girls because i dont work with them every practice. the coach who works with them the most almost never does drills with the girls.

you need that raise AND a change to working with those girls more...

I second what dunno said. Not working drills as means of teaching skills is basically the beginning of the end.

THANK YOU!!! to you both^^
the coach hardly ever does drills because he thinks repetition works best whether he is told other wise by another coach, be ours or other gyms AND judges.... i try to work drills with them when ever i get a chance too because some of their skills are lacking..

Honestly, I found that the best way to do a full, is to just do it. Fulls are extremely easy when you think about it. Once you have a layout, all you really have to do is move your arms. It's as simple as point A to point B. Timing may just need some tweaking. I know different gyms use different techniques, but go onto the tumbletrak or whatever you have that moves into a foam pit, throw a layout, and just pull your arms however your gym wants you to and ride the twist. Get used to the timing then do it on floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back